Developing an Open Source Property Management Suite

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lennier, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    Anyone interested in doing work on an Open Source property management
    suite using Linux/Unix, Apache, MySQL and PHP?

    I have access to a series of PHP scripts which do most of the fundamental
    stuff, but which need further development and refinement.

    It looks likely that these scripts are going to be released under the GPL
    - there are sill some issues which will be resolved once an answer from
    some academic types is forthcoming.

    This project has good potential to produce a very sophisticated and useful
    management system, but I cannot do the code myself - don't know enough
    about PHP to be confident - but I am wanting to learn.

    I do, however, understand what it is that makes a good and practical
    property management suite. There would need also to be a
    financial/accounting aspect to the suite - and I know nothing about the
    necessary bean-counting.

    Also, is there any way of using PHP to open a cash draw via a serial port?

    I see this project as having great potential for use not only in hotels
    but also in restaurants and cafes and conference centres.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our
    Lennier, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Lennier

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:35:49 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > It looks likely that these scripts are going to be released under the
    > GPL
    > - there are sill some issues which will be resolved once an answer from
    > some academic types is forthcoming.

    [snip]

    > I see this project as having great potential for use not only in hotels
    > but also in restaurants and cafes and conference centres.

    So you are wanting to develop a free programme for comerical interests?
    personally I consider that comerical people should develop free commerical
    programmes.

    Read, in a community one should aim for helping everyone equally. Jane Doe
    is unlikely to wish to use such a programme.
    Gordon, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Lennier

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <pan.2004.03.06.01.35.48.516321@TRACKER>,
    lid says...
    > Anyone interested in doing work on an Open Source property management
    > suite using Linux/Unix, Apache, MySQL and PHP?
    >
    > I have access to a series of PHP scripts which do most of the fundamental
    > stuff, but which need further development and refinement.
    >
    > It looks likely that these scripts are going to be released under the GPL
    > - there are sill some issues which will be resolved once an answer from
    > some academic types is forthcoming.
    >
    > This project has good potential to produce a very sophisticated and useful
    > management system, but I cannot do the code myself - don't know enough
    > about PHP to be confident - but I am wanting to learn.
    >
    > I do, however, understand what it is that makes a good and practical
    > property management suite. There would need also to be a
    > financial/accounting aspect to the suite - and I know nothing about the
    > necessary bean-counting.
    >
    > Also, is there any way of using PHP to open a cash draw via a serial port?
    >
    > I see this project as having great potential for use not only in hotels
    > but also in restaurants and cafes and conference centres.

    I think you have your programming models confused. What you can do with a
    web site and a web browser is very different from what you can do with an
    application running in a PC with full access to hardware, memory etc.
    They are totally different models of programming. The web client method
    is very limited compared with full programming.

    If you want access to the machine's hardware, learn how to write
    applications for KDE.
    Mainlander, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 17:36:55 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > Read, in a community one should aim for helping everyone equally. Jane Doe
    > is unlikely to wish to use such a programme.

    Jane Doe is also unlikely to wish to use PHP and MySQL and Apache and
    Linux and freeBSD and the Gimp and Pan and...

    Lennier

    Lennier, Mar 6, 2004