    the environments are getting more diverse, which surprises me, given the
    typical corporate obsession with “standardization†(by which they mean
    “uniformityâ€).

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 11, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-06-11, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    ><http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/eclipse-study-shows-more-gains-but-some-problems/6657>
    >
    > Given this is a survey of Eclipse users, I?d say it?s heavily biased towards
    > corporate development. This also is reflected in the heavy use of Subversion
    > instead of distributed VCSes, and the Ant build tool (which I believe is
    > Java-centric).
    >
    > Linux picked up some gains from the Windows losses, but not all. Looks like
    > the environments are getting more diverse, which surprises me, given the
    > typical corporate obsession with ?standardization? (by which they mean
    > ?uniformity?).

    Logic would say that *some* co-orps have forked, not all. Never ever assume
    that typical means all. Some co-orps will change, fork, split into some
    other type of uniformity.

    The other point is that the silicon chip has become so common and cheap that
    people can "play" with it to produce various options, and share it with
    others should they so desire.

    While the OS battle goes on, people are gate crashing into the next battle
    field. Bit like Henry Ford and Boeing

    Gordon, Jun 11, 2010

  3. In message <hus0hc$62r$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/eclipse-study-shows-more-gains-but-some-problems/6657>

    Of course, an interesting question is, if they’re doing less and less
    development ON Windows, what development are they doing FOR Windows? Because
    Windows is notoriously hard to do cross-development for, you really have to
    test your code out pretty thoroughly on an actual Windows machine. And it
    would seem to be a pain to do development on one platform and have to keep
    moving your code across to another platform to test it—especially one, like
    Windows, that doesn’t have good remote command-execution facilities.

    So does this mean that the systems they’re building are seeing less and less
    deployment on Windows?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 14, 2010