    but as it (www.pcflank.com) couldn't determine my real IP, it stopped the
    scan.

    However, www.grc.com can find my real IP in a matter of seconds. Is it
    just a case of the scripting (if that's the right term) at www.grc.com
    being simply better than that at www.pcflank.com ? Or is there 'more to
    this than meets the eye' ?

    Thanks for your time, and for any information you might have.

    Regards,

    LLFormat.
    LLFormat, Jun 26, 2003

  2. LLFormat

    G. Morgan Guest

    Someone named "LLFormat" <> Proclaimed
    on Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:41:35 +0100,

    >Hello,
    >
    >I was wondering why it is that not all online security scanners can
    >determine my real IP.
    >
    >For example, www.pcflank.com cannot determine my real IP, but does seem to
    >know that my ISP uses a proxy server. I was actually looking forward to
    >seeing the results from this previously unheard-of site, for me at least,
    >but as it (www.pcflank.com) couldn't determine my real IP, it stopped the
    >scan.
    >
    >However, www.grc.com can find my real IP in a matter of seconds. Is it
    >just a case of the scripting (if that's the right term) at www.grc.com
    >being simply better than that at www.pcflank.com ? Or is there 'more to
    >this than meets the eye' ?

    Try:

    http://www.dslreports.com/whois
    G. Morgan, Jun 26, 2003

  3. LLFormat

    YK Guest

    LLFormat wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering why it is that not all online security scanners can
    > determine my real IP.
    >
    > For example, www.pcflank.com cannot determine my real IP, but does
    > seem to know that my ISP uses a proxy server. I was actually looking
    > forward to seeing the results from this previously unheard-of site,
    > for me at least, but as it (www.pcflank.com) couldn't determine my
    > real IP, it stopped the scan.
    >
    > However, www.grc.com can find my real IP in a matter of seconds. Is it
    > just a case of the scripting (if that's the right term) at www.grc.com
    > being simply better than that at www.pcflank.com ? Or is there 'more
    > to this than meets the eye' ?
    >
    > Thanks for your time, and for any information you might have.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > LLFormat.

    There is 'more that meets the eye'.
    http://grc.com/np/rsvptech.htm
    YK, Jun 26, 2003
  4. LLFormat

    LLFormat Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:53:00 +0000, YK typed the following stuff :

    > LLFormat wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I was wondering why it is that not all online security scanners can
    >> determine my real IP.

    <snip>

    > There is 'more that meets the eye'.
    > http://grc.com/np/rsvptech.htm

    Thanks for that YK. Right after posting my original message, it did occur
    to me that www.grc.com 's scanner address had 'https://' at the front of
    it. I wasn't sure if this was relevant or not, but now I know it is. :)

    Thanks for the information.

    Regards,

    LLFormat.
    LLFormat, Jun 26, 2003
  5. LLFormat

    sponge Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:41:35 +0100, "LLFormat"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I was wondering why it is that not all online security scanners can
    >determine my real IP.
    >
    >For example, www.pcflank.com cannot determine my real IP, but does

    seem to
    >know that my ISP uses a proxy server. I was actually looking forward

    >seeing the results from this previously unheard-of site, for me at

    least,
    >but as it (www.pcflank.com) couldn't determine my real IP, it stopped

    the
    >scan.
    >
    >However, www.grc.com can find my real IP in a matter of seconds. Is

    it
    >just a case of the scripting (if that's the right term) at

    www.grc.com
    >being simply better than that at www.pcflank.com ? Or is there 'more

    >this than meets the eye' ?
    >
    >Thanks for your time, and for any information you might have.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >LLFormat.

    GRC uses a small application called IPAgent to determine your real,
    public IP address, which PCFlank does not. There are also Java and
    ActiveX controls that can determine your real IP, the one bound to
    your system.

    You are correct that some scanners are detecting that your ISP uses
    transparent proxies. (WHY your ISP is using transparent proxies at all
    has me wondering, though.) At any rate, scanning a proxy is pointless.
    They serve some security purpose although I'm wondering if they're
    pulling a Comcast.

    Have you tried scan.sygate.com?

    Sponge
    Sponge's Anti-Spyware Source
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    sponge, Jun 29, 2003
  6. LLFormat

    sponge Guest

    :

    >> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:41:35 +0100, "LLFormat"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>I was wondering why it is that not all online security scanners can
    >>>determine my real IP.
    >>>
    >>>For example, www.pcflank.com cannot determine my real IP, but does

    >> seem to
    >>>know that my ISP uses a proxy server.

    ><snip>
    >
    >>>However, www.grc.com can find my real IP in a matter of seconds.

    ><snip>
    >
    >> GRC uses a small application called IPAgent to determine your real,

    public
    >> IP address, which PCFlank does not. There are also Java and ActiveX
    >> controls that can determine your real IP, the one bound to your

    system.

    >> You are correct that some scanners are detecting that your ISP uses
    >> transparent proxies. (WHY your ISP is using transparent proxies at

    all has
    >> me wondering, though.) At any rate, scanning a proxy is pointless.

    They
    >> serve some security purpose although I'm wondering if they're

    pulling a
    >> Comcast.
    >>
    >> Have you tried scan.sygate.com?

    >Hi,
    >
    >No I haven't tried it yet, but I will do now. I'm intrigued by your
    >statement 'I'm wondering if they're pulling a Comcast'. By this, do

    you
    >mean caching loads of pages to appear to give a faster service ? If

    that
    >is indeed what you meant, then I can say that my ISP do seem to have

    an
    >awful lot of cached pages. A quick CTRL-REFRESH/RELOAD seems to grab

    the
    >latest versions of pages though, in most cases.
    >
    >If I'm honest, I don't fully understand the purpose of proxies, so

    I'm
    >probably getting confused in what I've said in the above paragraph.
    >
    >Thanks for the information. Thanks also to all other contributors to

    this
    >thread for shedding some light on my initial question.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >LLFormat.

    No. For a while, Comcast was piping user connections through
    transparent proxies and harvesting the data for anything that they
    could sell to marketers. I've included a short link below. Lots of
    ISPs snoop on their users but most do it by installing snooping
    (spyware) software packaged with ISP software; Comcast's method did
    not rely on client-side software which could be uninstalled. So,
    Comcast's method was unavoidable by its users. I strongly suspect
    Comcast is still doing this despite supposedly dropping the idea; they
    had an awful lot of money invested in the plan. Verizon is one that is
    presently known to snoop on their users, and they have a history of
    this sort of thing, including selling customer calling records to
    marketers.
    If there's a moral here, it's not to install ISP supplied software
    (you will usually get BETTER connectivity if you don't), and to read
    your Terms of Service.

    Comcast
    http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,50469,00.html
    For your interest on Verizon