Determining if an installer is 16-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by zion, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. zion

    zion Guest

    I just want to use PS7 in 64bit. Is it possible?

    I'm investigating a move to 64-bit computing. Primarily because I,m
    sick of memory limits on 32-bit os'es. I have 4 gig sticks of ram on my
    system and it only detects 3.75. I am fully aware that 32 bit apps in
    the 64 bit environment dont magically improve performance, but I just
    want better memory handling for the system (no more out of mem errors
    when working on a file that is 1.6gig active memory in ps7 with nothing
    esle substantial running). Does Photoshop 7 use a 16 bit installer?
    (version 7 is the snappiest), how do you find out if an app is 16 bit
    or 32 bit, or it's installer is 16 or 32 bit. Does an application exist
    to reveal that kind of data?

    I just want to use PS7 in 64bit. Is it possible?

    --
    zion
    zion's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1523

    zion, Nov 7, 2005

  2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896456
    To determine whether a program requires a 16-bit component, install and run
    the program. If the program generates an error message, contact the
    manufacturer of the program for an update that is compatible with the
    x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003 and of Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition.

    But I suspect you don't have the operating system to find this out. Why not
    give the trial a try?:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 7, 2005

  3. zion

    zion Guest

    zion, Nov 8, 2005
  4. You should email the question to Adobe if no users comment here.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 8, 2005
  5. zion

    Mercury Guest

    Some ideas to try:

    Try dumpbin /headers <path>\program-name.exe
    dumpbin /? for help
    Use the command prompt window that VS provides in its program group as it
    puts the executable in the PATH.

    Dumpbin comes with Visual Studio.
    There may be a freeware utility that will do a similar thing.
    (Perhaps the freeware version of Depends.exe
    (http://www.dependencywalker.com/))

    The first paragraph of output may tell you... if not the first line of the
    second...

    I am not at a 64bit machine at the moment so can't check.

    Can someone else check?

    Mercury, Nov 8, 2005
  6. Well I know for a fact that if you try and run a 16-bit program on the x64 OS
    it will produce an error saying it was a 16-bit program, while for 32-bit
    programs if you access your task manager [ctrl+alt+delete] and click on
    processes it will have a *32 by all the 32-bit programs.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2lkIGF0IFBDIFN1cHBvcnQ=?=, Nov 8, 2005
  7. Hello,
    The support tools on the cd in the cab file contain filever.exe.
    You can use this to determine what platform a file or files are.

    Filever
    Prints file version information.

    filever [/S] [/V] [/E] [/X] [/B] [/A] [/D] [[drive:][path][filename]]

    /S Displays files in specified directory and all subdirectories.
    /V List verbose version information if available.
    /E List executables only.
    /X Displays short names generated for non-8dot3 file names.
    /B Uses bare format (no dir listing).
    /A Don't display file attributes.
    /D Don't display file date and time.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Mercury" <>
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <Subject: Re: Determining if an installer is 16-bit
    <Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:02:39 +1300
    <
    <Some ideas to try:
    <
    <Try dumpbin /headers <path>\program-name.exe
    <dumpbin /? for help
    <Use the command prompt window that VS provides in its program group as it
    <puts the executable in the PATH.
    <
    <Dumpbin comes with Visual Studio.
    <There may be a freeware utility that will do a similar thing.
    <(Perhaps the freeware version of Depends.exe
    <(http://www.dependencywalker.com/))
    <
    <The first paragraph of output may tell you... if not the first line of the
    <second...
    <
    <I am not at a 64bit machine at the moment so can't check.
    <
    <Can someone else check?
    <
    <
    <"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
    <> You should email the question to Adobe if no users comment here.
    <>
    <> --
    <> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    <> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    <> "zion" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <>>
    <>> I need to determine this on a 32 bit system, I don't have a 64-bit
    <>> system as yet.
    <>>
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> zion
    <>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 8, 2005
  8. Hello,
    Found the doc I was looking for:

    How To Determine what version/platform files are

    Filever.exe is a utility that allows you to determine which platform a file
    is.
    Filever.exe shows you the attributes of a file.
    Filever.exe shows the file versions of each file.

    Filever.exe ships in the support.cab on the Windows CD.
    <cd-rom-drive letter>\support\tools\support.cab

    Filever is 32-bit on 32-bit Windows and filever is 64-bit on the Windows
    X64 cds.
    Switches
    filever [/S] [/V] [/E] [/X] [/B] [/A] [/D] [[drive:][path][filename]]

    /S Displays files in specified directory and all subdirectories.
    /V List verbose version information if available.
    /E List executables only.
    /X Displays short names generated for non-8dot3 file names.
    /B Uses bare format (no dir listing).
    /A Don't display file attributes.
    /D Don't display file date and time.

    The output shown for example: from running filever *.* /B
    -rash W32i64 DLL - 5.2.3790.0 shp 9,728 03-25-2003
    c:\windows\kbdhept.dll

    The first section -rash shows the file attributes: (-rash )There are 5
    positions for attributes ( Directory,read-only,archive,system,hidden) They
    are always in the same position and multiple attributes can be shown.

    The output is virtually the same for the 32-bit and for the 64-bit filever.
    The 32-bit filever however is not aware of X64 files so the header is
    displayed differently.
    32-bit filever.exe will run on 64-bit Windows since it will run in WOW64.
    64-bit Filever will not run on 32-bit Windows.

    These are the headers in the second position: (W32i64)
    Itanium File - W32i64 ( reported the same with 32-it and 64-bit filever)
    X64 File - Wx64 (64-bit Filever reports the x64 file header as Wx64
    X64 File - W32 (32-bit filever reports x64 file headers as W32 without the
    i)
    X86 (32-bit) File - W32i ( reported the same with 32-it and 64-bit filever)
    16 bit file - W16 ( reported the same with 32-it and 64-bit filever)
    MS-DOS - DOS

    Type of file: (DLL)

    Then there is the language section: (ENU)

    The next section is the version of the file: (5.2.3790.0)

    The next section shp(shipping) in this example is the shipping version of
    the file as opposed to the dbg( debug version). This will be blank on
    directories and text files for example.

    File Size (9,728)

    File Location (c:\windows\kbdhept.dll)

    Examples of the various platforms for Windows files.
    Both of these files are for the x64 platform files

    32-bit filever.exe output for an x64 file
    --a-- W32 APP ENU 5.2.3790.1830 shp 88,064 03-24-2005
    c:\windows\notepad.exe

    64-bit Filever.exe output for an x64 file
    --a-- Wx64 APP ENU 5.2.3790.1830 shp 22,016 03-24-2005
    C:\windows\rsdiag.exe

    Directory, not a file so it's platform idependent.
    d---- - - - - - 0 08-31-2005
    [c:\Windows\inf]

    Text based file so it's platform independent. Note this has the read-only
    and archive attributes on as well.
    -ra-- - - - - - 7,895 08-23-2001
    c:\Windows\inf\1394.inf

    This is an Itanium file. Note the file has the read-only, archive, system
    and hidden attributes enabled
    -rash W32i64 DLL - 5.2.3790.0 shp 9,728 03-25-2003
    c:\x64ver\kbdhept.dll

    This is a 16-bit Windows file.
    --a-- W16 DLL ENU 1.7.0.0 shp 94,784 03-24-2005
    c:\x64ver\twain.dll

    This is an MS-DOS file:
    --a-- DOS - - - - 39,274 8/23/2001 c:\windows\system32\mem.exe

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
    <Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:37:39 GMT
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    <--------------------
    <<From: "Mercury" <>
    <<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <<Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:02:39 +1300

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 8, 2005
  9. zion

    Ted Guest

    Right click Setup.exe and select Properties,
    if it has a Version tab then it is 32 bit.
    If it has Compatibility tab then it 16 bit.

    Ted, Nov 9, 2005
  10. zion

    Mercury Guest

    Ted,

    Programmers can choose not to include version information regardless of
    target - a 32 or 64 bit setup program may or may not include version
    information regardless.

    I would stick with Darrel's answer.

    Mercury, Nov 9, 2005
  11. zion

    Ted Guest

    I think you miss read my message or don't know
    the difference between a 16 bit and 32 bit executable.

    If you right click a 16 Bit executable and select properties,
    the Property will have two tabs, one of them called Compatibility.

    If you right click a 32 Bit executable and select properties,
    the Property will have three tabs, one of the tabs called Version.

    16 bit files don't how file version etc, 32 bit do.
    Whether programmer enter version or not, the tab
    will be there.

    Ted, Nov 9, 2005
  12. The problem with that idea is that by the time you finish trying to install
    the program you may already have created problems in removing it if it
    doesn't work.

    "Kid at PC Support" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 10, 2005
  13. zion

    Mercury Guest

    "Ted" <> wrote in message
    >I think you miss read my message or don't know
    > the difference between a 16 bit and 32 bit executable.

    I cut my teeth programming Windows in VB1 & MSVC 6. (pre VS serious of C
    compilers) writin DLL'S & VBX's - this certainly doesn't make me an expert,
    but I do know so well the reliefe that 32bit and a flat memory model brought
    to programming & the joy of C++.

    > If you right click a 16 Bit executable and select properties,
    > the Property will have two tabs, one of them called Compatibility.

    The presence of the Compatability tab is possibly more an indication than
    anything else...

    > If you right click a 32 Bit executable and select properties,
    > the Property will have three tabs, one of the tabs called Version.

    The version tab is optional on 32bit / 64 bit too. The reason why it is so
    much more common on 32bit apps (IMO) and dll's is that the various Visual
    Studio and other tools added the VERISON info into projects automatically
    when a project was created - an in built version info editor supports this,
    and if a project is brought up to date (say converted from 16bit) it is a
    mouse click or two to add in version info. So, versioninfo is easy to add
    and maitain in 32bit s/w & less likely to be left out - it is sometimes.

    With 16bit, the version resource was not there by default in new projects
    and took some advanced skill to add. It could still be added though. Often
    it was not added on purpose as - for example - adding version info to some
    16 bit dll's / drivers added a large % to total image size and the opinion
    was held by some that this meant excess disc space usage and excess memory
    usage (even though the version info was not read in by default) - yes for
    maybe only 1kb of data!

    Try this in the Windows\System folder on an XP32 system:
    filever /E *.dll
    then do a check for versioninfo for the fles marked as 16 bit and the files
    I have check do have version info tab... You may need to have installed
    support.cab previosult as per instructions below to do this.

    I could put VC 1.52 back on my system to prove the point, but I think the
    OT's post is answered cleary by Darrel and that method should be the method
    in everyones toolkit.

    I'll quote Darrel's answer as it is without doubt a much more at hand
    solution than I suggested:

    "

    > 16 bit files don't how file version etc, 32 bit do.

    On an XP system, take a look in the System folder - the home for 16bit
    stuff. You will see version info there on at least some files. Mayn XP64
    hides this, but I doubt it as it would be a very odd thing to do & not that
    you would have 16bit anything installed...

    Mercury, Nov 10, 2005