    Any help would be appreciated.

    Mike

    , Nov 14, 2005

  2. datakazam Guest

    mike,
    using the IP address you need to find associated mac address. The
    easiest way to do this is to go to the router connected to the
    switchand show arp to see the ip addresses and mac addresses.
    This will tell you the mac address you need. Then go to the switch
    and show mac address table and see what port the mac address is on.
    This will show you which port the server with the designated ip
    address is connected to.

    datakazam, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks, there is NO router involved. This is a Administrative net that
    does not attach to the outside world.

    Is there a Show ARP command on the switch itself?

    Can you tell when a new port is connected? A log of some sort?

    Mike

    , Nov 14, 2005
  4. Rex Johnson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, there is NO router involved. This is a Administrative net that
    > does not attach to the outside world.
    >
    > Is there a Show ARP command on the switch itself?
    >
    > Can you tell when a new port is connected? A log of some sort?
    >
    > Mike

    If the management IP address of the switch is on the same subnet as the Sun
    server -- then yes, you can use the arp table of the switch to help you.

    If you can login to the Sun box, you can run snoop to decode the CDP frames
    the switch sends -- it's a neat trick that will give you the switch and port
    (and many other things):

    solaris$ snoop -d qfe0 -x0 01:00:0c:cc:cc:cc

    Or, other boxes may have tcpdump:

    linux$ tcpdump -i eth0 ether host 01:00:0c:cc:cc:cc

    Rex Johnson, Nov 14, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Is there a way to determine which port on a Catalyst 4000 switch a
    >particular server is attached to?

    CatOS or IOS?
    --
    All is vanity. -- Ecclesiastes

    Walter Roberson, Nov 14, 2005
  6. Gary Guest

    reboot the server and see which port goes down:)) Check the logs as the
    interface will flap. The arp and mac address is the best way of course but
    brute force works too.

    Gary, Nov 15, 2005
  7. ESM Guest

    Get the MAC address, then