    router so no more help was available).

    Thanks for any tips.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Sep 16, 2009

  2. Jonathan Wood

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 16, 7:55 pm, "Jonathan Wood" <> wrote:
    > I have a desktop computer connected (by wire) to a wireless router, which is
    > connected to a DSL modem.
    >
    > How can I determine the credentials required in order to have a laptop
    > connect, wirelessly, to this same router?
    >
    > Previously, I used LinkSys EasyLink Advisor to set this up, but this
    > software doesn't work on Windows 7. And I was told by a LinkSys support
    > person that the software should not be needed (my support has expired on my
    > router so no more help was available).
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.
    >
    > Jonathan

    Access the router's internal web pages. In those web pages, you
    should be able to access the "true" settings of the router and look
    for the details on wireless network and wireless security settings.

    As for additional help, try:

    http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/?comm_cc=CA&comm_lang=en

    smlunatick, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Jonathan Wood

    Lem Guest

    Jonathan Wood wrote:
    > I have a desktop computer connected (by wire) to a wireless router,
    > which is connected to a DSL modem.
    >
    > How can I determine the credentials required in order to have a laptop
    > connect, wirelessly, to this same router?
    >
    > Previously, I used LinkSys EasyLink Advisor to set this up, but this
    > software doesn't work on Windows 7. And I was told by a LinkSys support
    > person that the software should not be needed (my support has expired on
    > my router so no more help was available).
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.
    >
    > Jonathan

    I'm going to assume that you have a Linksys router. If the details below
    don't fit with what you see, you'll have to identify the make/model of
    router, including version number if any, from label on the bottom.

    Using a computer that's connected to the router with an Ethernet cable:

    1. The IP address of the router is most likely 192.168.1.1, but you
    should confirm that.
    a. Start > Run > type "cmd" (without quotes) click OK
    b. In the Command Prompt window that opens, type "ipconfig /all"
    (without quotes) [press Enter]
    c. Look for the line beginning "Default Gateway." The IP address of
    the Default Gateway is your router.

    2. Using a web browser, enter 192.168.1.1 (or the IP address of your
    Default Gateway, if different)

    3. You should see a box requesting a username and password. If you have
    changed the router access password, enter that. Otherwise, leave the
    username blank and use admin as the password. If you have a newer
    Linksys router, you may have to use admin as the username as well as the
    password.

    4. Assuming that you successfully entered the router's configuration
    utility, click on the "Wireless" link and then on the "Wireless
    Security" link. You should now see all the security info you'll need to
    connect wirelessly.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Thanks. However, it did not accept <no user name>/<no password>, admin/<no
    password>, or admin/admin.

    Unfortunately, I'm not finding any documentation or notes on this unit.
    Still looking...

    Yes, my router is a LinkSys.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Sep 16, 2009
  5. Thanks. I got the IP address but it requires a logon. I'll check out the URL
    but have so far had no lucking finding meaningful information on that
    website.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Sep 16, 2009
  6. Jonathan Wood

    John Guest

    "Jonathan Wood" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. However, it did not accept <no user name>/<no password>, admin/<no
    > password>, or admin/admin.

    Try
    username:
    password: admin

    If you can't, you must have changed it. Find the reset button on the router
    to erase everything back to factory default.

    > Unfortunately, I'm not finding any documentation or notes on this unit.
    > Still looking...
    >
    > Yes, my router is a LinkSys.

    Which model?

    John, Sep 16, 2009
  7. "John" <a> wrote in message news:...

    | "Jonathan Wood" <> wrote in message
    | > Thanks. However, it did not accept <no user name>/<no password>, admin/<no
    | > password>, or admin/admin.
    |
    | Try
    | username:
    | password: admin
    |
    | If you can't, you must have changed it. Find the reset button on the router
    | to erase everything back to factory default.
    |
    | > Unfortunately, I'm not finding any documentation or notes on this unit.
    | > Still looking...
    | >
    | > Yes, my router is a LinkSys.
    |
    | Which model?

    Remember to disconnect the modem first. Otherwise http://192.168.1.1 tries to get to the modem, not
    the router.|

    Richard in AZ, Sep 16, 2009
  8. Yeah, I found a bit more info on this. You new suggestion is the correct
    one, but it won't work unless I do a reset. So I'm making sure I can't find
    the old one before getting into that.

    It's a WRT150N v1.1.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Sep 16, 2009
  9. Jonathan Wood

    John Guest

    Lem already mentioned it in step #3. IIRC, password is case sensitive but I
    may be wrong.

    If you reset the router, be sure to change the password and SSID (default is
    Linksys). You may also want to only allow access to your router
    configuration through wired connection.

    If you ignore those (change default settings), your neighbor may become the
    administrator of your router :)

    John, Sep 16, 2009