Detect MAC address on (remote) NIC ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dutch Treat, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Dutch Treat

    Dutch Treat Guest

    # DETECT #
    I would like to read out - preferably written to a txt.log - the *burnt-in*
    MAC-address of NICS, local or remote. For detecting NICS on an Internet-server,
    I need to be able to detect which NIC is *locally* (inbound) connected (and
    dump the address in the log) and which NIC is *publicly* (outbound) connected.

    Is there software that is able to do this (detect + write to a txt.log) ?

    # CONVERT #
    Last but not least: how does one convert the MAC's hexadecimal XX:XX...-address
    to an 0x1234567890AB address?

    I need this for NetOp Remote Control so that I will be able to remotely reboot
    the other machine (Wake on LAN MAC Address).

    # NAT-router #
    Last question: I use Kerio's NAT to issue addresses. I have 2 NICS in the
    server, but I find 4 MAC-addresses. Which one do I choose as the one to reboot?

    I have 2 physical cards:
    - ELNK3 Ethernet Adapter - linked to 10.0.0.150
    - Novell 2000 Adapter - linked to 192.168.0.1

    Then I have 2 PPP Adapters:
    - 213.84.240.158 : this is my public IP address
    - and another one, not linked to any address

    This last ones are issued by the DHCP server of Kerio. The MAC-address
    therefore is probably not *static*. Should I use the ELNK3 card linked to
    10.0.0.150 as the MAC-address that is the one that will react on a remote
    reboot command?

    Thanks in advance for any reply !

    Dutch Treat, Mar 6, 2004