Detailed question, probably a simple answer - Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for your advice and opinions on this...

    I have five PCs at home on a wireless and 10/100 network. I work from home.
    I have Windows 2000 on all the machines and most of the networking stuff
    works OK but am wondering whether I should start to switch over to Windows
    XP? Mates who have it seem to have very robust setups and their screens look
    really cool too. Yes, I am that shallow.

    I've read the threads here about XP pro -v- XP home and I would probably go
    for Pro for the difference in price and future upgradeability.

    Question is, which software version do I need to go legal here: upgrade from
    a (dodgy version of) W2000, or are there other options such as an
    educational upgrade (my partner's an EAL teacher, got two lads at school) or
    should I go for a full 'from scratch' new system?

    Thanks all

    Mike
    Mike, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Mike wrote:
    > Thanks for your advice and opinions on this...
    >
    > I have five PCs at home on a wireless and 10/100 network. I work from home.
    > I have Windows 2000 on all the machines and most of the networking stuff
    > works OK but am wondering whether I should start to switch over to Windows
    > XP? Mates who have it seem to have very robust setups and their screens look
    > really cool too. Yes, I am that shallow.
    >
    > I've read the threads here about XP pro -v- XP home and I would probably go
    > for Pro for the difference in price and future upgradeability.
    >
    > Question is, which software version do I need to go legal here: upgrade from
    > a (dodgy version of) W2000, or are there other options such as an
    > educational upgrade (my partner's an EAL teacher, got two lads at school) or
    > should I go for a full 'from scratch' new system?
    >
    > Thanks all
    >
    > Mike

    The Upgrade version should do okay, but you're definitely a little over
    the legal line with upgrading "dodgy" Win2K. You'll need 5 copies, so
    I'd go with wherever you can find the cheapest price. And the upgrade
    version of XP you get (Pro or Home) depends on the version of 2K you have.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Mike

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:42:37 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for your advice and opinions on this...
    >
    >I have five PCs at home on a wireless and 10/100 network. I work from home.
    >I have Windows 2000 on all the machines and most of the networking stuff
    >works OK but am wondering whether I should start to switch over to Windows
    >XP? Mates who have it seem to have very robust setups and their screens look
    >really cool too. Yes, I am that shallow.
    >
    >I've read the threads here about XP pro -v- XP home and I would probably go
    >for Pro for the difference in price and future upgradeability.

    Given the amount of networking you want you'd definitely want XP Pro
    not Home.

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Apr 14, 2005