    What's the best way to destroy them?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    FERRANTE, Jan 11, 2004

  2. FERRANTE

    Jeremy Guest

    FERRANTE wrote:

    > I have some CD's of stuff I no longer need. I don't want to just throw
    > it away and bending one until it breaks is a stupid move I have no
    > intention of repeating! :(
    >
    > What's the best way to destroy them?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    12 gauge
    16 gauge
    20 gauge
    410
    22 LR

    :)

    Jeremy, Jan 11, 2004

  3. FERRANTE

    Matt Ferrari Guest

    "FERRANTE" <> wrote in message
    > I have some CD's of stuff I no longer need. I don't want to just throw
    > it away and bending one until it breaks is a stupid move I have no
    > intention of repeating! :(
    >
    > What's the best way to destroy them?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    buy a cd shredder such as sold at microcenter

    Matt Ferrari, Jan 12, 2004
  4. FERRANTE

    olfart Guest

    "Matt Ferrari" <> wrote in message

    > "FERRANTE" <> wrote in message
    > > I have some CD's of stuff I no longer need. I don't want to just throw
    > > it away and bending one until it breaks is a stupid move I have no
    > > intention of repeating! :(
    > >
    > > What's the best way to destroy them?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Mark

    > buy a cd shredder such as sold at microcenter

    putting a few scratches into the top surface will usually suffice unless the
    data on the CD is worth spending big bucks to recover.
    or-
    put the disc along with your cat into the microwave. Zap on high for a few
    seconds - longer if you have a big cat.

    olfart, Jan 12, 2004
  5. FERRANTE

    Mike Lee Guest

    I have the same question. Couldn't we just write the whole CD w/ 0's or 1's
    to erase it the same way they do w/ erasing HD?

    Or perhaps the subsequence writes not cover up the previous data properly?

    Thx, Mike

    Mike Lee, Jan 12, 2004
  6. FERRANTE

    olfart Guest

    "Mike Lee" <> wrote in message
    > I have the same question. Couldn't we just write the whole CD w/ 0's or 1's
    > to erase it the same way they do w/ erasing HD?
    >
    > Or perhaps the subsequence writes not cover up the previous data properly?
    >
    > Thx, Mike
    >

    > "FERRANTE" <> wrote in message
    > > I have some CD's of stuff I no longer need. I don't want to just throw
    > > it away and bending one until it breaks is a stupid move I have no
    > > intention of repeating! :(
    > >
    > > What's the best way to destroy them?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Mark

    because you can't overwrite a CDR

    olfart, Jan 12, 2004
  7. FERRANTE

    Thor Guest

    MICROWAVE!

    ;-)

    Thor, Jan 12, 2004
  8. FERRANTE

    Mike Lee Guest

    What I meant is to write all 1's to disk regardless of what the original
    data was. Thus making the disk "blank".

    Mike Lee, Jan 12, 2004
  9. FERRANTE

    olfart Guest

    "Mike Lee" <> wrote in message
    > What I meant is to write all 1's to disk regardless of what the original
    > data was. Thus making the disk "blank".
    >
    > "olfart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike Lee" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have the same question. Couldn't we just write the whole CD w/ 0's or

    > 1's
    > > > to erase it the same way they do w/ erasing HD?
    > > >
    > > > Or perhaps the subsequence writes not cover up the previous data

    > properly?
    > > >
    > > > Thx, Mike
    > > >

    > > > "FERRANTE" <> wrote in message

    > > because you can't overwrite a CDR

    What part of *can't over write a CDR* don't you understand???
    If it had data written on it you CAN'T overwrite that data with anything.
    Write this 100 times or until you understand it

    olfart, Jan 12, 2004
  10. FERRANTE

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in news:btud5a$at8pc$1@ID-
    34582.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > What part of *can't over write a CDR* don't you understand???
    > If it had data written on it you CAN'T overwrite that data with anything.
    > Write this 100 times or until you understand it

    I understand what he is saying. You burn a disc and certain parts are
    turned into a one rather than a zero by the laser. What he is suggesting
    is going back over those areas where data was burned and making it all 1s.
    You know the pit/flat surface analogy? He is saying go back over the
    burned portion and burn all the flat surfaces into pits.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 12, 2004
  11. FERRANTE

    Rick Myers Guest

    Belt or drum sanders work well. A grinder would make quick work of it!

    Fire melts plastic!

    Drop 'em in a can of gasoline, turpentine or cleaning solvent for a week.
    Once the metal film separates from the plastic, data's gone!

    Lotsa thick folks out there. Olfart's right! CD-R is write once media. If it
    could be overwritten it would be a CD-RW. Sure, theoretically it's possible.
    But, just because there's a theory doesn't mean it's possible or practical
    to create such a thing.

    Rick Myers, Jan 12, 2004
  12. FERRANTE

    olfart Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns946E6EE1C87A7Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > "olfart" <> wrote in news:btud5a$at8pc$1@ID-
    > 34582.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > What part of *can't over write a CDR* don't you understand???
    > > If it had data written on it you CAN'T overwrite that data with anything.
    > > Write this 100 times or until you understand it

    > I understand what he is saying. You burn a disc and certain parts are
    > turned into a one rather than a zero by the laser. What he is suggesting
    > is going back over those areas where data was burned and making it all 1s.
    > You know the pit/flat surface analogy? He is saying go back over the
    > burned portion and burn all the flat surfaces into pits.
    >
    > --

    But how can you do that? When the burner sees an area of the disc that already
    contains data it will just pass over it until it finds an unburned area. If he
    can figure a way to do it I'd love to know about it.

    olfart, Jan 12, 2004
  13. FERRANTE

    Night_Seer Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > MICROWAVE!
    >

    > ;-)

    I second that...plus it looks cool...but no more than 3 or 4 seconds.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 12, 2004
  14. FERRANTE

    Thor Guest

    "Mike Lee" <> wrote in message
    > What I meant is to write all 1's to disk regardless of what the original
    > data was. Thus making the disk "blank".

    You can't with a CD-R. No CD writer will even attempt it, because it will
    see the existing data. The only exception would be a multisession disc where
    you could add to contents, but that does nothing to the original data. If
    you use CDRW discs then of course you can just erase them using the slow or
    full erase mode to erase the entire disc not merely the TOC.

    Thor, Jan 12, 2004
  15. FERRANTE

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in

    > But how can you do that? When the burner sees an area of the disc that
    > already contains data it will just pass over it until it finds an
    > unburned area. If he can figure a way to do it I'd love to know about
    > it.

    I don't know how it would be possible. I'm just saying what he was
    suggesting. Like, tell the laser to start at the first sector on the inner
    most track and burn 1s to every sector, whether it is in an already burned
    area or not. I think physically, it should work, whether any software or
    firmware can do it or not is another story.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 12, 2004
  16. FERRANTE

    FERRANTE Guest

    What if I throw them into the river?

    MF

    FERRANTE, Jan 12, 2004
  17. FERRANTE

    Night_Seer Guest

    FERRANTE wrote:
    > What if I throw them into the river?
    >
    > MF

    They will still be fine unless they scrape against pebbles on the way
    down the river, or else have to hit a rock upon entering...otherwise
    your just polluting, and can be fined up to $1000 dollars (in the US),
    and I would kick you in the nuts myself.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 12, 2004