Desperately Need Help! PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmVu?=, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. My brother and I just got new Dell computers. Downstairs in the den acts as
    the administrative computer. It is connected to an Ethernet hub and a cable
    modem. It is actually two hard drives sharing the same monitor, keyboard, and
    mouse.

    I have tried setting up a wireless network between the computer downstairs
    and ours upstairs. But whenever I do try, it always tries to make a dial-up
    connection; but I use a cable modem. The two hard drives downstairs share the
    same LAN, but I'm just not able to connect to it for some reason.

    We also purchased a Dell USB 2.0 Wireless Router. The internet is set up and
    works perfect. I've hooked up the wireless adapter to my computer and I am
    able to get the internet, but just barely. The internet connection I have is
    very weak and very unstable. The speed of the connection averages at about
    2.0 Mbps, ranging for anywhere from 24.0 Mbps to 1.0 Mbps. It's always
    changing, and occasionally evening losing connection. I looked in the
    Microsoft Catalog to see if it's compatible, but it's not listed. However,
    why would Dell sell me the Wireless Router and Adapter if it's not compatible
    with my computer?

    So what I'm asking is (or more accurately, begging): how do I get a stable,
    higher speed of connection? Also, may be a better question is how do I
    establish a network between the LAN downstairs on the other computer and my
    computer and my brother's computer upstairs?

    Sorry about any confusion you may have with reading this thread, I'm not
    very smart with the technical stuff of computers. If anyone is able to help
    me, I would be really grateful! And feel free to post a reply asking me to
    specify anything you may need to fully answer my questions. PLEASE, PLEASE!!
    I've tried anything I can think of, I've read the help lots of times and
    tried a lot of different things, AND IT JUST DOESN'T WANT TO WORK.

    I'm thanking all of you who read this or may help me: THANK YOU FOR HELPING!!!
    =?Utf-8?B?SmVu?=, Dec 27, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmVu?=

    mikeFNB Guest

    work thru each bit, getting it going and then add things like wireless
    internet etc etc.

    this site is very useful.

    http://www.ezlan.net/

    mike

    mikeFNB, Dec 27, 2004

  3. This may help with the dropped connections.

    1. Open the Network Connections folder.
    2. Right-click on the icon for the wireless connection and select
    "Properties".
    3. Click on the "Authentication" tab.
    4. Uncheck the "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network"
    checkbox.
    5. Click "OK" on all dialogs that are open to save the settings.
    6. Test and verify that the connection holds.

    As far as the weak connection, it may be improved as well. It could be you
    need to increase the range of your connectivity by getting a longer antennae
    for your router. You can buy them at stores like Best Buy, etc.

    Without actually seeing your configurations, it is hard to advise what to do
    to fix it. I will offer suggestions as I understand more about your set up.

    =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGlhbWU=?=, Dec 28, 2004
  4. this depends on your operating system, but go to internet commection, under
    internet explore, and go under connection, and click never dial a connection,
    this should help your problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4=?=, Dec 29, 2004