    I don't know what. CPU? RAM? M/B?

    I sure could use some help.
    WC

    WCH, Oct 27, 2003

  2. WCH

    °Mike° Guest

    How many browser windows and downloads do you
    have open/going at the same time?

    I was going to say check the physical surface of the hard
    drive, but you said you tried another.

    Is it possible that your Windows install files could be corrupt?
    Do you have a backup CD?

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:24:54 GMT, in
    <Wl%mb.29054$9E1.107290@attbi_s52>
    WCH scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 27, 2003

  3. WCH

    Rob Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > For about a week I've had problems with my computer locking up while I'm
    > browsing web sites (P3, 512 RAM, W2K, IE6). It happens constantly! I've
    > done all the Windows critical updates, run virus scans with Norton 2003,
    > scanned with AdAware and Spybot. All came up empty.
    >
    > OK, then I got serious. Fail-safe BIOS settings. Changed video cards.
    > Changed network adapters. Pulled all the cards but video and NIC out of

    the
    > machine. Put in a new hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 2000.
    > IT STILL HANGS WHEN I BROWSE THE INTERNET!! How is this possible?? I did
    > another fresh install on a drive that I f'disked beforehand. All I've got
    > on it is Windows 2000. No updates, no other programs, nothing. It still
    > hangs constantly. So, what's wrong here? My fans (system fan and CPU

    fan)
    > are working fine. BIOS says the temps are fine. I assume it's hardware

    but
    > I don't know what. CPU? RAM? M/B?
    >
    > I sure could use some help.
    > WC

    It could be a memory problem, the power supply, or the motherboard itself.
    Check the memory using http://www.memtest86.com/ (free), check voltages
    using a DVM or a software program: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ .

    Rob, Oct 27, 2003
  4. WCH

    philo Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > For about a week I've had problems with my computer locking up while I'm
    > browsing web sites (P3, 512 RAM, W2K, IE6). It happens constantly! I've
    > done all the Windows critical updates, run virus scans with Norton 2003,
    > scanned with AdAware and Spybot. All came up empty.
    >
    > OK, then I got serious. Fail-safe BIOS settings. Changed video cards.
    > Changed network adapters. Pulled all the cards but video and NIC out of the
    > machine. Put in a new hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 2000.
    > IT STILL HANGS WHEN I BROWSE THE INTERNET!! How is this possible?? I did
    > another fresh install on a drive that I f'disked beforehand. All I've got
    > on it is Windows 2000. No updates, no other programs, nothing. It still
    > hangs constantly. So, what's wrong here? My fans (system fan and CPU fan)
    > are working fine. BIOS says the temps are fine. I assume it's hardware but
    > I don't know what. CPU? RAM? M/B?
    >
    > I sure could use some help.
    > WC

    i would definately do a RAM test (or substitute)

    just as a test you might want to try the off by one
    browser

    you can download it on another machine and transfer it on *one* floppy

    it will at least let you see if IE6 is defective or not

    another thought...
    as it could even be a netowork problem...
    remove the net card and put in a modem and try a dialup connection

    philo, Oct 27, 2003