    I hope someone can help me here. When i started up my computer today it loaded to my desktop wall paper but doesnt show any icons or start bar. I get nothing if i right click the desktop and when i type 'explorer' into open new task in task manager the start bar flashes up really quick and then disappears again. Iv run loads of virus scans but find nothing. The virus scan programs can access the internet as they update with no problem. I have exactly the same problem when i start in safe mode. Could some one please throw me some ideas as its driving me crazy, been trying so many things to rectify it but im getting nowhere :(

    Thanks,

    Debby.
    debby, Oct 5, 2006

  2. debby

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Debby - Your login profile might be corrupted, or possibly Windows has been corrupted. If you have the Windows CD, I would try to repair your installation. I would even suggest using system restore, but I don't know if you can get access to that since you have no start menu.

    Are you sure everything is the same if you start up in safe mode? If so, I would be popping in that Windows CD to try the repair option for the current Windows installation.
    bigal, Oct 12, 2006