Desperate disk advice needed please!!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by The ice man, Apr 30, 2005.

  1. The ice man

    The ice man Guest

    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can shed some light, I'm running xp pro and I've got 2x
    80gb hard drives with (stupidly!) the first one being my system disk with
    only partition (system 'C') only allocated with 18.63 Gb of space.

    This leaves me with 55.90 of unallocated space on the rest of that drive
    trouble is I can't access it.
    Using XP disk management i try to create it as a new partition but it won't
    let me it comes back with:

    'The disk management operation did not complete.Check the System event log
    for more info on the error.Verify the status of your storage devices before
    retrying.If that does not solve the problem, close the Disk Management
    console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.'

    Of course i did this but alas no change I've tried using disk magic as well
    but I get much the same result it's as though the free space on the drive is
    corrupt but I've run scandisk with no reported errors.

    Thank you.
    The ice man, Apr 30, 2005

  2. The ice man

    K-CSC Guest

    "The ice man" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I wonder if anyone can shed some light, I'm running xp pro and I've got 2x
    > 80gb hard drives with (stupidly!) the first one being my system disk with
    > only partition (system 'C') only allocated with 18.63 Gb of space.
    >
    > This leaves me with 55.90 of unallocated space on the rest of that drive
    > trouble is I can't access it.
    > Using XP disk management i try to create it as a new partition but it
    > won't
    > let me it comes back with:
    >
    > 'The disk management operation did not complete.Check the System event log
    > for more info on the error.Verify the status of your storage devices
    > before
    > retrying.If that does not solve the problem, close the Disk Management
    > console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.'
    >
    > Of course i did this but alas no change I've tried using disk magic as
    > well
    > but I get much the same result it's as though the free space on the drive
    > is
    > corrupt but I've run scandisk with no reported errors.

    You may not get an answer here as all the good people have left due to a
    Troll who has destroyed the NG. You should seek advise elsewhere.

    K-CSC :)
    K-CSC, Apr 30, 2005

  3. The ice man

    Robert Baer Guest

    The ice man wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I wonder if anyone can shed some light, I'm running xp pro and I've got 2x
    > 80gb hard drives with (stupidly!) the first one being my system disk with
    > only partition (system 'C') only allocated with 18.63 Gb of space.
    >
    > This leaves me with 55.90 of unallocated space on the rest of that drive
    > trouble is I can't access it.
    > Using XP disk management i try to create it as a new partition but it won't
    > let me it comes back with:
    >
    > 'The disk management operation did not complete.Check the System event log
    > for more info on the error.Verify the status of your storage devices before
    > retrying.If that does not solve the problem, close the Disk Management
    > console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.'
    >
    > Of course i did this but alas no change I've tried using disk magic as well
    > but I get much the same result it's as though the free space on the drive is
    > corrupt but I've run scandisk with no reported errors.

    > Thank you.

    Sounds like you have two 80Gbyte drives.
    1) See if you can get all important programs (and personal data) on a
    bootable drive.
    2) Use Ghost or DriveCopy to "backup" to the other.
    3) Use Partition Magic to re-size the smaller partition; you now have 2
    identical drives to work on at this point. *Both* should be re-sizeable.
    4) If one worked, then use Ghost or DriveCopy to "backup" to the other;
    watch it as it copies, for error messages.
    5) In case of errors, to recover the bad HD, use SpinRite and then
    re-copy if there were many un-recoverable errors.
    Robert Baer, May 1, 2005
  4. The ice man

    The ice man Guest

    Hi,
    Ok thanks for all your help I'm going to try your suggestions and I'll reply
    back to this thread to let you know how it went.
    Many thanks again.
    Mark.

    The ice man, May 1, 2005