Desparate for help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by bruce, May 1, 2005.

  1. bruce

    bruce Guest

    I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
    First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
    possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
    Netscape, etc

    Issue 1:
    With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
    not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
    work.
    When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
    window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
    into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
    So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind password
    protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the javascripts work
    fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
    www.advancedaccess.com (real estate web hosting - very good service and
    designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
    http://voippro.gologin.net/index.jsp (voip phone service) they are changing
    service, so they are not helping me right now...)

    Issue 2:
    I can not change my home page.
    It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
    make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
    back to
    http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome
    This LOOKS legit... but???
    I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
    been change to the desired home page. No luck....

    -------------------------
    Troble shooting done:
    Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted HD
    several months back - and maintained upgrades)
    I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
    running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
    about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
    Deleted cookies, temp files etc...

    I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this site
    for my work!

    what else can I do?
    Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
    of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?

    I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail

    Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
    I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)

    Thanks
    Bruce

    bruce, May 1, 2005

  2. From: "bruce" <>

    | I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
    | First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
    | possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
    | Netscape, etc
    |
    | Issue 1:
    | With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
    | not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
    | work.
    | When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
    | window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
    | into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
    | So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind password
    | protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the javascripts work
    | fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
    | www.advancedaccess.com (real estate web hosting - very good service and
    | designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
    | http://voippro.gologin.net/index.jsp (voip phone service) they are changing
    | service, so they are not helping me right now...)
    |
    | Issue 2:
    | I can not change my home page.
    | It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
    | make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
    | back to
    | http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome
    | This LOOKS legit... but???
    | I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
    | been change to the desired home page. No luck....
    |
    | -------------------------
    | Troble shooting done:
    | Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted HD
    | several months back - and maintained upgrades)
    | I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
    | running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
    | about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
    | Deleted cookies, temp files etc...
    |
    | I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this site
    | for my work!
    |
    | what else can I do?
    | Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
    | of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?
    |
    | I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail
    |
    | Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
    | I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)
    |
    | Thanks
    | Bruce

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
    Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

    1) Download TrendMicro Sysclean by other of the following 2 methods

    Trend Sysclean Method 1
    ---------------------------------------
    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend signature files.

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\sysclean")

    Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
    Download the signature files (pattern files) by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt606.zip

    SYSCLEAN.COM.

    Trend Sysclean Method 2
    ---------------------------------------
    Download the utility SYSCLEAN_FE at the following URL --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and execution process of the Trend Sysclean Package.
    Direct URL --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

    2) Download Ad-aware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions.
    3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.
    5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Ad-aware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    7) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
    System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, May 1, 2005

  3. bruce

    Mich Guest

    "bruce" <> wrote in message
    > I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
    > First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
    > possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
    > Netscape, etc
    >
    > Issue 1:
    > With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
    > not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
    > work.
    > When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
    > window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
    > into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
    > So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind

    password
    > protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the javascripts

    work
    > fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
    > www.advancedaccess.com (real estate web hosting - very good service and
    > designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
    > http://voippro.gologin.net/index.jsp (voip phone service) they are

    changing
    > service, so they are not helping me right now...)
    >
    > Issue 2:
    > I can not change my home page.
    > It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
    > make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
    > back to
    > http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome
    > This LOOKS legit... but???
    > I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
    > been change to the desired home page. No luck....
    >

    > -------------------------
    > Troble shooting done:
    > Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted

    HD
    > several months back - and maintained upgrades)
    > I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
    > running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
    > about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
    > Deleted cookies, temp files etc...
    >
    > I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this

    site
    > for my work!
    >
    > what else can I do?
    > Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
    > of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?
    >
    > I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail
    >

    > Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
    > I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bruce

    Are you running Error Guard by chance ?
    Had a customer that installed it on a new custom computer I built for him,
    He decided to pay for and install Error Guard which did not allow him to log
    into online mail or banking, along with not being able to change his
    homepage.
    The system was only three days old !!!
    I did a restore to the day before he installed Error Guard and everything
    came back to normal..

    Mich...

    Mich, May 1, 2005
  4. For Issue 1:
    Your HijackThis log is NOT attached. Please don't post it here!
    First eliminate any spyware.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
    you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
    versions)
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    WinXP:
    Get WinSockxpFix
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
    CMD
    In the command window type
    netsh winsock reset

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE, May 1, 2005
  5. bruce

    Roger Wilco Guest

    "bruce" <> wrote in message

    > Issue 2:
    > I can not change my home page.
    > It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick

    Are you running an anti-spyware application that recovers from homepage
    hijackings by reverting to MSN as default?

    Roger Wilco, May 1, 2005
  6. bruce

    Winged Guest

    Roger Wilco wrote:
    > "bruce" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Issue 2:
    >>I can not change my home page.
    >>It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick

    > Are you running an anti-spyware application that recovers from homepage
    > hijackings by reverting to MSN as default?

    Has Homepage been locked by spybot?
    Winged

    Winged, May 3, 2005
  7. bruce

    bruce Guest

    I am not running Error guard... Thank for the suggestion though...
    Mc

    bruce, May 3, 2005