    I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could cost
    me a lot of bad will in my business.

    Ken
    Ken, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Ken

    Celcius Guest

    Ken,
    Exactly the same thing happenend to me.
    In my case, unbelievable as it may seem, it was the card reader that wasn't
    working.
    Perhaps you can get hold of someone else's can reader and try your card? I
    went to my freindly computer store. They obligingly lent me another card
    reader. This one worked...
    Marcel

    "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in message
    > Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on

    the

    Celcius, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Ken

    Charlie Choc Guest

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:27:01 +0100, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:

    >Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on the
    >camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
    >reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
    >for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
    >
    >I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could cost
    >me a lot of bad will in my business.

    Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without using a
    card reader?
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com
    Charlie Choc, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Charlie Choc" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:27:01 +0100, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
    >
    >>Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
    >>the
    >>camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
    >>reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
    >>for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
    >>
    >>I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could
    >>cost
    >>me a lot of bad will in my business.
    >>

    > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
    > using a
    > card reader?
    > --
    > Charlie...
    > http://www.chocphoto.com

    Thanks Charlie & Marcel
    The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
    Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
    However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera via
    USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
    shots over.

    Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood pressure
    on way down - ish.

    But why do these darned things happen!!!!!

    Thanks again

    Ken
    Ken, Aug 10, 2005
  5. Ken

    Celcius Guest

    Ken,
    I would still be worried... The USB port seems to work well. If the card
    reader is OK, then what about the card?

    Celcius, Aug 10, 2005
  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it goes in the
    bin.
    First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
    Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
    Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!

    Thanks again

    Ken

    Ken, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Ken

    Charlie Choc Guest

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:31:36 -0400, "Celcius" <> wrote:

    >Ken,
    >I would still be worried... The USB port seems to work well. If the card
    >reader is OK, then what about the card?

    I agree. I'd reformat the card again in the camera and take some test shots. If
    the card still gives problems I'd replace it.
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com
    Charlie Choc, Aug 10, 2005
  8. Ken wrote:
    > It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it goes
    > in the bin.
    > First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
    > Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
    > Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Ken

    What size of card is it, and where did you format it?

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2005
  9. Ken

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
    the
    > camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
    > reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
    > for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
    >
    > I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could

    cost
    > me a lot of bad will in my business.

    If you can find your way around the command line, I'd make a backup of it
    before I started fiddling. The easiest way would be to boot to a Knoppix
    CD, then create a backup image like so:

    dd if=/dev/sda1of=/some/where/file.img

    That way, if any of the recovery utilities you try don't do things quite
    right, you still have that backup.

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Aug 10, 2005
  10. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:7vpKe.86162$...
    > Ken wrote:
    >> It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it goes
    >> in the bin.
    >> First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
    >> Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
    >> Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!
    >>
    >> Thanks again
    >>
    >> Ken

    > What size of card is it, and where did you format it?
    >
    > David

    256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this OK or
    should I have done something different?

    Ken
    Ken, Aug 10, 2005
  11. Ken wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    > wrote in message
    >> Ken wrote:
    >>> It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it
    >>> goes in the bin.
    >>> First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
    >>> Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
    >>> Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again
    >>>
    >>> Ken

    >> What size of card is it, and where did you format it?
    >>
    >> David

    > 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
    > OK or should I have done something different?
    >
    > Ken

    No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
    card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.

    Good luck,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2005
  12. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:tpqKe.86227$...
    > Ken wrote:
    >> "David J Taylor"
    >> <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    >> wrote in message

    >>> What size of card is it, and where did you format it?
    >>>
    >>> David

    >> 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
    >> OK or should I have done something different?
    >>
    >> Ken

    > No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
    > card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > David

    Think I will sling the card and get another!!

    Ken
    Ken, Aug 10, 2005
  13. Ken

    Tom Guest

    >> Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
    >> using a
    >> card reader?
    >> --
    >> Charlie...
    >> http://www.chocphoto.com

    > Thanks Charlie & Marcel
    > The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
    > Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
    > However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera
    > via
    > USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
    > shots over.
    >
    > Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood
    > pressure
    > on way down - ish.
    >
    > But why do these darned things happen!!!!!
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Ken

    Just a thought that I'm sure you've already checked out. I had that problem
    once and finally realized that I had set the camera to record on it's
    internal memory rather than the card. So of course, there was nothing on
    the card when I inserted it in my card reader.

    Tom.
    Tom, Aug 10, 2005
  14. Ken

    Jeff Guest

    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
    > in message news:tpqKe.86227$...
    >> Ken wrote:
    >>> "David J Taylor"
    >>> <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
    >>> OK or should I have done something different?
    >>>
    >>> Ken

    >> No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
    >> card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >> David

    > Think I will sling the card and get another!!
    >
    > Ken

    You said this was a new card, rather than throw it away why don't you return
    it under warrantee?

    In most cases the warrantee is at least a year.

    Good luck..

    Jeff
    Jeff, Aug 10, 2005
  15. Ken

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <42fa1723$0$32690$>,
    "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:

    > "Charlie Choc" <> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:27:01 +0100, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
    > >>the
    > >>camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
    > >>reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
    > >>for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
    > >>
    > >>I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could
    > >>cost
    > >>me a lot of bad will in my business.
    > >>

    > > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
    > > using a
    > > card reader?
    > > --
    > > Charlie...
    > > http://www.chocphoto.com

    > Thanks Charlie & Marcel
    > The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
    > Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
    > However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera via
    > USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
    > shots over.
    >
    > Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood pressure
    > on way down - ish.
    >
    > But why do these darned things happen!!!!!

    Let me guess. You're using Microsoft Windows. Right?
    Shawn Hirn, Aug 11, 2005
  16. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message

    > "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David J Taylor"
    >> <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
    >> in message news:tpqKe.86227$...

    >>> No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
    >>> card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck,
    >>> David

    >> Think I will sling the card and get another!!
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    > You said this was a new card, rather than throw it away why don't you
    > return it under warrantee?
    >
    > In most cases the warrantee is at least a year.
    >
    > Good luck..
    >
    > Jeff

    You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and stamp on
    it - with a big hammer.

    Ken
    Ken, Aug 11, 2005
  17. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote in message
    > In article <42fa1723$0$32690$>,
    > "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
    >
    >> "Charlie Choc" <> wrote in message

    >> > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct
    >> > without
    >> > using a
    >> > card reader?
    >> > --
    >> > Charlie...
    >> > http://www.chocphoto.com

    >> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
    >> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
    >> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
    >> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera
    >> via
    >> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
    >> shots over.
    >>
    >> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood
    >> pressure
    >> on way down - ish.
    >>
    >> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!

    > Let me guess. You're using Microsoft Windows. Right?

    Yes but what difference does this make?

    Ken
    Ken, Aug 11, 2005
  18. Ken

    CeeBee Guest

    "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and
    > stamp on it - with a big hammer.

    You won't believe it, they did just that and a whole lot of other nasty
    things, and found out that it was nearly impossible to damage a card so bad
    that it wan't possible to retrieve the contents anymore.

    If you like some experimenting you could try a freeware app like smart
    recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
    which is freeware by the way, and see if your PC is able to read something
    on the card at all.

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***
    CeeBee, Aug 11, 2005
  19. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "CeeBee" <> wrote in message
    > "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
    >

    >> You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and
    >> stamp on it - with a big hammer.

    > You won't believe it, they did just that and a whole lot of other nasty
    > things, and found out that it was nearly impossible to damage a card so
    > bad
    > that it wan't possible to retrieve the contents anymore.
    >
    > If you like some experimenting you could try a freeware app like smart
    > recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
    > which is freeware by the way, and see if your PC is able to read something
    > on the card at all.
    >
    > --
    > CeeBee

    Thanks for the tip and I will take a look.

    Ken
    Ken, Aug 11, 2005