    installed on my hard drive? Or is there something else I can purchase.
    --
    K. Christiansen
    K-Bob, Dec 12, 2008

  2. K-Bob

    Big_Al Guest

    K-Bob wrote:
    > I currently am connected to the internet via a DSL modem and just installed a
    > wireless router as I want to move my computer to a room that does not have a
    > phone line. My desktop computer does not have wireless capabilites in the
    > hard drive. Well I still can't move my computer since I still have to
    > connect a cable from the router to my hard drive to receive internet access.
    > Is there a solution to this, is a wireless G PCI Adapter needed to be
    > installed on my hard drive? Or is there something else I can purchase.

    A PCI adapter, a USB dongle (looks like a thumb drive), or an antenna
    device that plugs into the USB port and just lays on the desktop (like a
    wireless mouse receiver).

    All 3 can work. Each have their problems like the dongle breaking off
    if hit. However this is more of a problem on laptops where the CPU gets
    moved and manhandled.

    I personally suggest a G network since the N is still not standardized.
    Supposedly you can use a N adapter and connect to the G router but I
    wouldn't push it. If you can get an adapter by the same manufacturer
    you might be better off but that's not a high priority item IMHO. I've
    mixed and matched vendors all the time when in Hotels etc.

    See ezlan.net for a lot of help on setting up the network once you get
    there. I suggest setting up the wireless unsecured the first time to
    make sure you have a wireless connection, then go back and add the
    security setup.
    Big_Al, Dec 12, 2008

  3. Hi
    The best solution for a Desktop is PCI Wireless, provided that is has an
    Antenna that can be placed over the system.
    Example, Edimax - PCI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
    http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\), Dec 12, 2008
  4. "K-Bob" <> wrote in message
    >I currently am connected to the internet via a DSL modem and just
    >installed a
    > wireless router as I want to move my computer to a room that does not
    > have a
    > phone line. My desktop computer does not have wireless capabilites in
    > the
    > hard drive. Well I still can't move my computer since I still have to
    > connect a cable from the router to my hard drive to receive internet
    > access.
    > Is there a solution to this, is a wireless G PCI Adapter needed to be
    > installed on my hard drive? Or is there something else I can
    > purchase.
    > --
    > K. Christiansen

    I have a D-Link WDA-2320 in my wife's XP Pro desktop so she can access
    our wireless 802.11g network at home. It works very well.

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=WDA-2320

    Newegg has them for $30 + free shipping...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127075

    I bought hers at Best Buy two years ago although I forget what I paid
    for it.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
    Sooner Al [MVP], Dec 12, 2008
  5. K-Bob

    John Guest

    Depends on how far the PC is from the wireless router. I like USB type WiFi
    adapter because of the USB cable that allows me to reposition the device
    (higher/lower) to get stronger signal from the router.

    I'm using Linksys WUSB54G attached to my old desktop PC (Pentium 3). I place
    my wifi device on my desk, next to the monitor. My WiFi router sits on the
    2nd floor and the desktop PC is on the 3rd floor. Signal strength is almost
    always at 90% to 95%. Never had any issues with it.

    John, Dec 12, 2008
  6. K-Bob

    K-Bob Guest

    I am taking your recommendation and have just ordered a D-Link WDA-2320
    adapter for my hard drive. I hope mine will also give me good service.
    Thanks a bunch.
    --
    K. Christiansen

    K-Bob, Dec 13, 2008