    the exe file for the DWM. Is that possible? Will it help? I do not have any
    restore point to fall back on...

    What should I do? I'm not in the mood for formatting...
    Anton, Jan 1, 2008

  2. Anton

    John Barnes Guest

    I know you are not going to like this, but here is the answer from a
    topnotch Microsoft employee

    Hello John,
    There is a separate copy of the what are considered the boot critical files
    that can be repaired with SFC while offline.
    These are in the \windows\winsxs\backup, but the number of files there are
    limited.

    Mounting the wim file from the DVD and manually copying the files from the
    mounted location to the OS location is the only way to replace a corrupted
    file that cannot be repaired with SFC.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    ==========================
    That was a reply from Darrell. The closest I have come to trying anything
    is to find this article.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/vista/dsk-02.mspx The
    second item would seem to apply.
    This will give you info as to how to do it.

    John Barnes, Jan 2, 2008

  3. Anton

    Anton Guest

    I like all replies, thank you for your help. I'll need to start digging into
    this...seems like some command line hacking, good fun. ;) Seems like a one in
    a million that the dwm.exe is corrupt, but hey, I'll try anything before I
    reinstall. Stupid me not creating a backup ghost image...

    Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect a hardware failure... It seems like
    my system freezes even with the DWM service turned off. Every time something
    more graphic intense is to be executed (like a screen saver or even intense
    scrolling, Flash graphics etc.) the system freezes.

    Thanks anyways!

    Anton, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Anton

    Carlos Guest

    Anton,
    Did you try a system restore to a point before the freezing started?
    That would determine if it is (or not) a hardware failure.

    If it were the video driver, you might try with an older one.
    One of the members in this NG is using ATI v7.6 (I think...) and cannot use
    the newer ones.

    Check also your BIOS settings and disable any overclocking that might be
    present.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 2, 2008
  5. And take its temperature. Overheating?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 2, 2008
  6. Anton

    Anton Guest

    Hi!
    Unfortunately, I have no restore points to fall back on. Why, I honestly do
    not know. I have always kept System Restore turned on and it should create a
    restore point at major software installations, but it does not list any...

    I've thought about trying an older video driver, but since the problem
    occurs even without the video drivers running (installed), they are not the
    cause. (Also it ran fine on the same drivers before..)

    I will head into BIOS and poke around a bit... It is not overheating either,
    that was the first thing I checked beacuse it is somewhat of a classical
    overheating symptom.

    Thanks for your help!

    Anton, Jan 2, 2008
  7. Anton

    Carlos Guest

    And his wife's vacuum cleaner to remove dust from fans and heatsinks.
    Heat and dust are lurking like gremlins inside our PC's.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 2, 2008
  8. Anton

    Anton Guest

    I went through every BIOS setting, a few of them were not what they were
    before. With all settings restored, my computer is stable again! I've been
    away for a while, maybe there was some kind of voltage drop that affected my
    system, even though it was turned off.

    Thank you all for your help!

    Anton, Jan 2, 2008
  9. Anton

    John Barnes Guest

    If you are dual booting with XP you will destroy any Vista Restore Points on
    each reboot to XP

    John Barnes, Jan 2, 2008
  10. I call them "data bunnies".

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 2, 2008
  11. Anton

    Carlos Guest

    Anton,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    It is good to know what was the root cause and that we were useful too.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 2, 2008
  12. A system crash may reset the BIOS on some boards. Otherwise, flashing may be
    responsible too - just leaving it alone should not do it, though, unless the
    battery is going flat!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 5, 2008