Desktop themes/long

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LAH, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. LAH

    LAH Guest

    I'm running Windows 98 on an HP Pavilion 8380. After a couple of years of
    the same wallpaper and etc. I decided to change. Opened Desktop themes and
    tried to make the changes. The dialog box for Desktop themes did not
    display the correct wallpaper. No pictures were previewed, just solid color
    or black. Clicking on the desktop wallpaper to either apply or not, made
    absolutely no difference.

    I then opened Display in the Control Panel. If the background or wallpaper
    is set on Plus!, I get the wallpaper I was originally using. If I allow
    Desktop Themes to change the wallpaper to one of the solid colored, then
    Display shows the wallpaper selected as None. I can work around the problem
    by browsing from the Display dialog box to the wallpaper file in a folder
    called Plus! and manually selecting the desired wallpaper. In any case, no
    matter what I do I cannot get the Desktop Themes dialog box to display the
    correct wallpaper. Even the current windows setting in the dialog box shows
    a solid colored wallpaper. Although, that is not what is displayed on my
    desktop nor what Display shows in its dialog box.

    I've no idea when the problem started as I've not changed the desktop theme
    for a really long time. I had updated the display driver long ago, as
    recommended by HP, as well as other related software updates but can't say
    if that had any bearing on the problem. The display driver is Rage Pro
    Turbo AGP 2X(English) File version 4.10.2456. There is very likely a more
    recent version available through ATI but I've not downloaded one.

    I've done numerous searches and found lots of information but nothing that
    exactly describes my problem. I do not have Microsoft Plus! installed. In
    my search I found reference made to the jpeg import/export Graphic Filter
    (jpegim32.flt) . Out of curiosity I searched my computer and found two
    files with that name in different locations with different file versions and
    product versions. Is this normal to have two such files with the same name
    with one in one folder and the other in another folder? I'm just wondering
    if there is some conflict here or possibly one of the files has been
    corrupted. One is in C:WINDOWS\MsApps\Grphflt the other in C:program
    Files\Common File\Microsoft\Shared\GrphFlt.

    If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate your input. I don't
    have Microsoft Plus!98 installed but perhaps could find a cheap one on Ebay.
    Would this solve the problem or just confuse matters? Would I be better off
    just leaving well enough alone as I can work around the matter? Still it
    would be nice to have things working properly.

    Thanks in advance and sorry this is so long!
    LAH

    LAH, Sep 26, 2003

  2. LAH

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you tried removing desktop themes from Add\Remove
    Programs / Windows Setup tab, and then reinstalling them?

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:03:27 -0500, in
    <%rYcb.1438$>
    LAH scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003

  3. LAH

    LAH Guest

    No, I haven't. If I remove them will I need the Windows98CD in order to
    reinstall? I don't have it but do have the two Recovery CDs that came with
    the computer. I've been a little nervous about doing much with them as I
    don't want to accidentally find myself in the midst of a full blown hard
    drive reformat.

    Sorry to be so computer challenged but the only thing worse would be not
    knowing I'm computer challenged.

    Thanks,

    LAH, Sep 26, 2003
  4. LAH

    °Mike° Guest

    You will need the Windows CD, or at least the Windows .cabs.

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:04:58 -0500, in
    <5e_cb.1443$>
    LAH scrawled:

    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003