    What's wrong, and how do I fix it? Spyware/viruses are very unlikely;
    the computer is behind a firewall and is swept twice a week for both
    using updated definition files.

    red apple, Sep 6, 2006

  2. red apple

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 23:40:21 GMT, red apple <>
    wrote:

    >I have an XP computer, Nvidia GeForce graphics card, 3.2 gig speed, 1
    >meg of RAM.

    I hope you mean 1 GIG. If you have 1 meg of RAM, you have issues.

    >I just noticed that when working with the display properties dialog box
    >(right click on desktop and pick properties from the context menu),
    >clicking on the "desktop" tab (second one from the left) will take a
    >LONG time to bring that particular tab up - I've seen 10-30 seconds,
    >probably more. Every other tab in display properties, when clicked on,
    >immediately brings its stuff forward.
    >
    >Not sure how long it's been this way. The desktop tab takes a long time
    >to load no matter which tab I am on when I click on it.
    >
    >What's wrong, and how do I fix it? Spyware/viruses are very unlikely;
    >the computer is behind a firewall and is swept twice a week for both
    >using updated definition files.

    How is your computer 'swept' for virus and spyware? What program?

    Reinstall your video driver.

    Evan Platt, Sep 6, 2006

  3. red apple

    red apple Guest

    In article <#>,
    "NewScience" <> wrote:

    > Check to see how many items you have as Background pictures. The larger the
    > list, the slower to display.
    > The more folders you have added to the Desktop Background search, the more
    > files the Background box has to load.

    I think you might have found the problem, but I don't know how to fix it.

    I have a folder under My Pictures that has the six or so photos I've
    used as desktop backgrounds, and I swear that the "desktop" tab used to
    only show the photos in that folder. Now it shows a ridiculously long
    list of photos from lots of folders.

    How can I clear this long list, then have it looking only in the My
    Pictures\Desktop Backgrounds folder?

    red apple, Sep 6, 2006