Desktop Shortcuts and Outlook hyperlinks Don't Work..Need Help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am working with XP Pro and Microsoft Outlook 2000. I have a 2.8Ghz
    processor, 512 Ram, and 80 Gig HD.

    Just recently I can no longer make shortcuts of "favorites" to my desktop.
    Instead of a particular icon all I get is a big E icon for I.E. when I
    click on this icon all I get is a blank I.E page with the following (just an
    example):

    [DEFAULT]
    BASEURL=http://www.workingamerica.org/
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://www.workingamerica.org/
    Modified=101D6756AD9CC401F8

    Strangely enough, when I right click on the icon I have the option to open
    the URL in Opera but, not Internet Explorer. I prefer Internet Explorer.
    At the same time, while in Outlook 2000 Mail or News, I can't open
    hyperlinks for various web pages but can access someones e-mail in the
    message. I'd sincerely appreciate it if someone could help me with these
    problems. TIA.

    Guest, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Guest

    mAineAc Guest

    wrote:
    > I am working with XP Pro and Microsoft Outlook 2000. I have a 2.8Ghz
    > processor, 512 Ram, and 80 Gig HD.
    >
    > Just recently I can no longer make shortcuts of "favorites" to my desktop.
    > Instead of a particular icon all I get is a big E icon for I.E. when I
    > click on this icon all I get is a blank I.E page with the following (just an
    > example):
    >
    > [DEFAULT]
    > BASEURL=http://www.workingamerica.org/
    > [InternetShortcut]
    > URL=http://www.workingamerica.org/
    > Modified=101D6756AD9CC401F8
    >
    > Strangely enough, when I right click on the icon I have the option to open
    > the URL in Opera but, not Internet Explorer. I prefer Internet Explorer.
    > At the same time, while in Outlook 2000 Mail or News, I can't open
    > hyperlinks for various web pages but can access someones e-mail in the
    > message. I'd sincerely appreciate it if someone could help me with these
    > problems. TIA.

    go to the control panel, open internet options. Open the programs tab
    and reset the defaults to what you want.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you mAineAc, your suggestion worked for accessing links in Outlook.
    Any ideas on how to fix my "shortcuts to desktop" problem? TIA for your
    help.

    Guest, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello again mAineAc, in checking "desktop shortcuts" again, thanks to your
    advice, I can now access the shortcuts in I.E. but when I create new ones
    they still all have the Internet Explorer icon on my desktop and not the
    distinctive one for the web page/program. Any ideas?

    Guest, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Rersolved the shortcut problem

    After a bit of trying different things I think I solved the problem of the
    desktop icons. Thanks again for your help mAineAc.

    Guest, Sep 21, 2004
  6. Guest

    cjfling

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    same problem

    I was wondering how you fixed the problem you posted on:

    http://www.velocityreviews.com/foru...nd-outlook-hyperlinks-dont-workneed-help.html

    The one specifically about not being able to open hyperlinks from the desktop? You state your were able to fix it, but don't say how. I'm having the same problem.

    Thx

    cjfling, Dec 18, 2007