    pretty good?

    Thanks for your help

    John

    John, May 1, 2006

  2. John

    DJ Guest

    Not sure when they quit including it, but if they would have never included
    it, maybe it would have died a quiet death. MSP is one of those programs
    that you love to hate. It likes nothing as far as emulation, importing or
    exporting. And God forbid you need to publish to the web with it. The latest
    version makes it a bit easier but a simple church secretary with above
    average computer skills cannot do it. Word does it so much better, but then
    there is that booklet thing with Word -doesn't work really well. So, you
    don't have a whole lot of options. I use them both as well as a few others
    but really wish the was something like Aldus Pagemaker still in existence.
    If you are looking for something cheap and easy to learn, seriously consider
    Printshop. Version 12 is what I have and it does all the DTP and also the
    fun stuff. Doesn't convert to HTML or at least I haven't tried, maybe it
    does. But if you are publishing to a web, you'll need something to make it
    easier, no matter what you use. PS V.12 is just a couple of bucks on eBay.
    Danno -started serious DTP with WP5.1 and haven't stopped yet. We don't need
    no stinkin' WYSIWYG

    DJ, May 2, 2006

  3. "John" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > Can you recommend to me any free or cheapish DTP programs that are
    > pretty good?

    Serif PagePlus costs $99.99 for the latest version which may seem expensive
    until you compare it with QuarkExpress at a cool $749.

    There are cheaper ways of getting hold of PagePlus - I paid only UK£15 for
    version 8.0 PDF Edition direct from Serif which I consider a bargain. The
    registration is a pain (but you can bypass it) and they like to chase you
    every couple of weeks to sell you more stuff which is a bigger pain, but you
    can opt out.

    Sometimes you can find old versions on computer magazine cover CDs

    John

    John Rampling, May 2, 2006
  4. John

    Plato Guest

    John wrote:

    > Hi.I just wondered if anyone knows when Publisher stopped being
    > included as part of the Microsoft Office Premium packages?

    Ask Microsoft.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 2, 2006
  5. John

    Uplink Guest

    Sorta off topic, but what is a desktop publisher? Is that creating cards,
    banners and stuff or is it web page making.

    Uplink, May 3, 2006
  6. "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    > Sorta off topic, but what is a desktop publisher? Is that creating cards,
    > banners and stuff or is it web page making.

    Documents, newspapers, magazines, cards, banners etc intended for output in
    printed form. Most DTP programs allow creation of web pages too.

    Most PC users don't seem to use DTP as their word processor provides many of
    its features.

    John

    John Rampling, May 3, 2006