    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell
    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
    > How do you attach pictures to your desktop so that they display as a
    > picture instead of as an icon? Thanks.

    At 'Display Properties' (right-click desktop, or via Control-Panel)
    select 'Desktop' tab
    browse for picture you want, click 'Open'

    In drop-down menu (on 'Desktop' tab) called 'Position', select 'Stretch'
    click 'Apply' and 'OK'
    Patrick, Jun 24, 2004

  3. I was thinking of having it as a desktop item with whatever wall paper I'm
    using still there. With the instructions that you gave me, the picture
    becomes
    my wall paper.

    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:

    > I was thinking

    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Crap.
    Patrick D. Rockwell, the artless, chirping badger, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
    > I was thinking of having it as a desktop item with whatever wall
    > paper I'm using still there. With the instructions that you gave me,
    > the picture becomes
    > my wall paper.

    Sorry, I must have misunderstood your question.
    I don't know how you could do what your wanting to do!

    Patrick, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Patrick wrote:
    > Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
    >> I was thinking of having it as a desktop item with whatever wall
    >> paper I'm using still there. With the instructions that you gave me,
    >> the picture becomes
    >> my wall paper.

    > Sorry, I must have misunderstood your question.

    That's because you are nothing more than a overgrown, bloodthirsty gumshoe.

    > I don't know how you could do what your wanting to do!

    You complete and utter shagged-out, panic-stricken hippy.
    Patrick, the wonky, bridging dog, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Patrick D. Rockwell

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Right click the icon, go to Properties, and click Change Icon. If it
    has very little to offer, or if you do not like what is offered, click
    Browse, and look for the .bmp that you want.

    :
    : Sorry, I must have misunderstood your question.
    : I don't know how you could do what your wanting to do!
    :
    : >
    : >> Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
    : >>> How do you attach pictures to your desktop so that they display as
    : >>> picture instead of as an icon? Thanks.
    : >>
    PuppyKatt, Jun 25, 2004
  8. It didn't work. I moved the picture to the desktop where it was displayed as
    an icon. When I right-clicked that icon,
    I wasn't offered a "change icon" option, as I am when I right-click a
    program.

    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 25, 2004
  9. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
    > It didn't work. I moved the picture to the desktop where it was
    > displayed as an icon. When I right-clicked that icon,
    > I wasn't offered a "change icon" option, as I am when I right-click a
    > program.

    You (as you just found) cannot do it with the actual pictures-icon.

    You can however do it with a *shortcut* to the picture.
    To do so;
    Create a shortcut to picture on 'Desktop'
    Load picture into the likes of 'Irvanview' (free from
    http://www.irfanview.com/ )
    Save as an *.ico file
    Goto Properties of the shortcut-to-picture
    Select 'Change Icon...', browse to where you saved the *.ico
    file,select it and click 'Open'
    etc.

    Patrick, Jun 25, 2004
  10. Ok, here's how to do it in Windows XP.

    1. Right Click on the desktop.

    2. Select properties.

    3. Click on desktop tab.

    4. Click on "Customize Desktop".

    5. Click on web tab.

    6. Click on new.

    7. Click on browse.

    8. Find desired picture and click on it.

    9. Click on open.

    10. Click on ok at the "New Destop Item window.

    11. Click on ok at the "Destop Items" window.

    12. Click on ok at the "Display Properties" window. You
    can click on apply first to see how item will look on
    desktop.

    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Ok, here's how to do it in Windows XP.

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jun 27, 2004
  12. One more question about desktop items. I know that it is simple enough to
    check the
    dimensions of the desktop item. I can do it with Hypersnap. You can also
    resize the
    desktop item with your mouse, as long as it's not locked on the desktop, but
    resizing
    it and having a numerical display of the width and height is something I
    don't know
    how to do. Is there a place in Windows XP where the dimensions of each
    desktop
    item is stored? If there is, I might be able to put in my own values.

    A simple way to do this, is to resize the picture that I'm using, but what
    if I don't want
    to resize the picture, or make a smaller copy of it. I can use Hypersnap,
    but it would
    mean using Hypersnap to measure the desktop item, then resizing it with my
    mouse,
    then measuring it again, and resizing it again until I have the correct size
    and
    aspect ratio.

    --
    Patrick D. Rockwell