    As I said, the path is correct and matches exactly the paths on the
    shortcuts on the other computers. I must be missing some simple setting
    somewhere...I hope.

    sharonf, Apr 9, 2007

  2. sharonf

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "sharonf" <> wrote in message
    news:461a9c46$0$2224$-secrets.com...
    > We have one new computer. Everything seems to be working great except for
    > desktop Internet shortcuts. All computers are using Windows XP Home. I
    > have set up a couple of shortcuts on the desktop to Internet sites that
    > are used all quite often. On the new computer when I click on the shortcut
    > an error message will pop up and then the Internet site will open
    > normally. I have checked the path and that is fine so I'm thinking that it
    > has something to do with file options are set up, but so far I can't find
    > anything that is set up differently on the new computer. The error message
    > each time is the same except for the url. For example:
    >
    > "Windows cannot find http://www.titantv.com/ttv/Grid/grid.aspx Make sure
    > that you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
    > file, click the start button, and then click search."
    >
    > As I said, the path is correct and matches exactly the paths on the
    > shortcuts on the other computers. I must be missing some simple setting
    > somewhere...I hope.

    Which web browser?

    When I want desktop shortcuts for Internet sites, I go to the web page in my
    browser, then drag the link from the address bar to the desktop. Prevents
    typing errors. That probably isn't the case here, since you are getting the
    page, but it helps me with my bad typing <g>

    WhzzKdd, Apr 9, 2007

  3. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "sharonf" <> wrote in message
    >> We have one new computer. Everything seems to be working great except for
    >> desktop Internet shortcuts. All computers are using Windows XP Home. I
    >> have set up a couple of shortcuts on the desktop to Internet sites that
    >> are used all quite often. On the new computer when I click on the shortcut
    >> an error message will pop up and then the Internet site will open
    >> normally. I have checked the path and that is fine so I'm thinking that it
    >> has something to do with file options are set up, but so far I can't find
    >> anything that is set up differently on the new computer. The error message
    >> each time is the same except for the url. For example:
    >>
    >> "Windows cannot find http://www.titantv.com/ttv/Grid/grid.aspx Make sure
    >> that you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
    >> file, click the start button, and then click search."
    >>
    >> As I said, the path is correct and matches exactly the paths on the
    >> shortcuts on the other computers. I must be missing some simple setting
    >> somewhere...I hope.

    > Which web browser?
    >
    > When I want desktop shortcuts for Internet sites, I go to the web page in my
    > browser, then drag the link from the address bar to the desktop. Prevents
    > typing errors. That probably isn't the case here, since you are getting the
    > page, but it helps me with my bad typing <g>

    Firefox 2 is the browser. I just do a copy and paste from the browser
    address bar to make the shortcut. I have rechecked it several times to
    make sure it is correct.

    sharonf, Apr 9, 2007
  4. sharonf

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 13:15:04 -0700, sharonf wrote:

    > We have one new computer. Everything seems to be working great except
    > for desktop Internet shortcuts. All computers are using Windows XP Home.
    > I have set up a couple of shortcuts on the desktop to Internet sites
    > that are used all quite often. On the new computer when I click on the
    > shortcut an error message will pop up and then the Internet site will
    > open normally. I have checked the path and that is fine so I'm thinking
    > that it has something to do with file options are set up, but so far I
    > can't find anything that is set up differently on the new computer. The
    > error message each time is the same except for the url. For example:
    >
    > "Windows cannot find http://www.titantv.com/ttv/Grid/grid.aspx Make sure
    > that you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
    > file, click the start button, and then click search."
    >
    > As I said, the path is correct and matches exactly the paths on the
    > shortcuts on the other computers. I must be missing some simple setting
    > somewhere...I hope.

    Try repairing your lan connection. That will clear the DNS cache and
    possibly fix you up.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 9, 2007
  6. sharonf

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:05:53 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > sharonf wrote:
    >
    >> "Windows cannot find http://www.titantv.com/ttv/Grid/grid.aspx Make
    >> sure that you typed the name correctly,

    > Are you sure that is correct? I use:
    >
    > http://ww1.titantv.com/TTV/Grid/Grid.aspx
    >
    > Note the "ww1" instead of "www". Note also the difference in
    > capitalization.

    Both get you to the same place Beau.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 9, 2007
  7. sharonf

    jbyrd Guest

    Try installing the addresses in your "Favorites" file. I finally
    ran out of space on my desktop.

    jbyrd, Apr 10, 2007
  8. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > sharonf wrote:
    >
    >> "Windows cannot find http://www.titantv.com/ttv/Grid/grid.aspx Make
    >> sure that you typed the name correctly,

    > Are you sure that is correct? I use:
    >
    > http://ww1.titantv.com/TTV/Grid/Grid.aspx
    >
    > Note the "ww1" instead of "www". Note also the difference in
    > capitalization.

    Yes, that is correct and the same one is used on the other computers.

    sharonf, Apr 10, 2007
  9. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    sharonf wrote:
    > We have one new computer. Everything seems to be working great except
    > for desktop Internet shortcuts. All computers are using Windows XP Home.
    > I have set up a couple of shortcuts on the desktop to Internet sites
    > that are used all quite often. On the new computer when I click on the
    > shortcut an error message will pop up and then the Internet site will
    > open normally. I have checked the path and that is fine so I'm thinking
    > that it has something to do with file options are set up, but so far I
    > can't find anything that is set up differently on the new computer. The
    > error message each time is the same except for the url. For example:
    >
    > "Windows cannot find http://www.titantv.com/ttv/Grid/grid.aspx Make sure
    > that you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
    > file, click the start button, and then click search."
    >
    > As I said, the path is correct and matches exactly the paths on the
    > shortcuts on the other computers. I must be missing some simple setting
    > somewhere...I hope.

    I have fixed the problem. Here is the solution in case anyone else has
    the same problem. Apparently this just happens with some Windows
    systems. I did not have to make these changes to the other tow computers.

    File Types edit

    (In Windows XP and Windows 2000)

    1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types
    3. Select Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer
    Protocol"
    4. Click "Advanced". In the "Edit File Type" window, select "open"
    and click "Edit"
    5. Uncheck "Use DDE" (the dialog should then hide the lower part)
    6. Click OK for that dialog and the next one (afterwards the DDE
    message box will be cleared, as shown here)
    7. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer
    Protocol with Privacy" (and any other protocols you want to fix)
    8. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "Firefox URL"
    9. Repeat for Extension: "HTM" (or "HTML") File Type: "Firefox
    Document"

    sharonf, Apr 10, 2007