    my normal program desktop icons are missing. They have been replaced with
    blank generic squares. The shortcut for My Computer, My Documents, etc.
    still work, but the traditional icons are missing. Any suggestions of a fix?

    Summit, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Summit

    Carlos Guest

    Summit,
    What OS are you running?
    If it is Vista x64, right-click on desktop and choose Personalize.
    On the left pane choose "Desktop icons".
    Do your stuff from there on.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2008

  3. Summit

    Summit Guest

    I am running xp professional

    Summit, Jan 13, 2008
  4. If you are running XP Pro SP2 (32-bit) be aware that this is not an XP
    newsgroup. That's why XP does not appear in its name. This is a newsgroup
    for discussing 64-bit Windows (Server 2003 x64, Vista x64, XP Pro x64,
    etc.). You may get the answer here but you may also want to use the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general newsgroup for XP issues.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 13, 2008
  5. Summit

    Carlos Guest

    Neosmart (http://neosmart.net/) has an x64 version
    of TweakUI for XP x64.
    Here's one download link I found with Google:
    http://software.techrepublic.com.com/download.aspx?docid=251587
    You can use the "rebuild icons" options to restore things back to normal
    again.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2008
  6. Summit

    Carlos Guest

    Summit,
    If you are running XP 32-bit, use the "rebuild icons" option in MS Powertoy
    TweakUI.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2008