Desktop Icons Wouldn't Work Until Rebooted: Why ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Just trying to learn about what might have happened.

    Have a new PC running XP.
    All seems fine.

    But, I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
    back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
    do nothing. Wouldn't open.

    Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting
    OPEN, wouldn't work either.

    Re-booted, and all fine now.

    What might have caused ?

    Bob
    Robert11, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Lord Jester Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just trying to learn about what might have happened.
    >
    > Have a new PC running XP.
    > All seems fine.
    >
    > But, I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
    > back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
    > do nothing. Wouldn't open.
    >
    > Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting
    > OPEN, wouldn't work either.
    >
    > Re-booted, and all fine now.
    >
    > What might have caused ?
    >
    > Bob

    That fact that your running windows has allot to do with it. :) Seriously
    though there could be any number of reasons for this happening. If I
    remember correctly (I don't use windows) one of the more common reasons
    would be that your kernel crashed. I think that's what it was called..
    Anyway that's windows for you. Also when you run certain programs (mostly
    older games for example) this happens. The game itself forgets to release
    certain parts of windows back to windows.

    I wouldn't worry about it though. If it happens often then I would be
    concerned.

    JesterDev
    Lord Jester, Dec 7, 2004