    slowed down by the recent utility software I installed? It
    just seems lazy.
    Thanks for any explanations offered.
    Sammy, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Sammy wrote:
    > When I boot up my PC the icons come on one after another,
    > not all together like they used to. Might the process be
    > slowed down by the recent utility software I installed? It
    > just seems lazy.
    > Thanks for any explanations offered.

    Try and reinstalling your OS. On windows-based PC:s you have to do that
    once in a while
    Roger Jansson, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Sammy

    Rob K Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:26:41 -0000, Sammy wrote:

    > When I boot up my PC the icons come on one after another,
    > not all together like they used to. Might the process be
    > slowed down by the recent utility software I installed? It
    > just seems lazy.
    > Thanks for any explanations offered.

    Reinstalling seems a bit drastic at this stage.

    I'd say the problem lies in the icon cache.

    Courtesy " ┬║Mike┬║":

    Copy/paste the following into notepad and save it as a .reg
    file. Once saved, merge it into your registry (right click /
    Merge). Reboot into Safe Mode and back into Normal mode. This
    will clear the current icon cache, and the .reg fix will give
    you a larger cache. Note, if you encounter similar problems
    after the .reg fix, you can substitute the "4096" with "8192",
    and re-merge the file. This will give you an even larger cache.

    ***** <-- omit this line
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]
    "Max Cached Icons"="4096"

    ***** <-- omit this line

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.
    Rob K, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Roger Jansson wrote:

    > Try and reinstalling your OS. On windows-based PC:s you have to do
    > that once in a while

    Not really. I've a 6+ year old PIII sitting here on which I installed
    Win2K the day I got it. It's on 24/7, connected to cable internet round
    the clock, and has never once needed the OS reinstalled.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Sammy

    John Holmes Guest

    Roger Jansson blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Sammy wrote:
    >> When I boot up my PC the icons come on one after another,
    >> not all together like they used to. Might the process be
    >> slowed down by the recent utility software I installed? It
    >> just seems lazy.
    >> Thanks for any explanations offered.
    >>

    > Try and reinstalling your OS. On windows-based PC:s you have to do that
    > once in a while

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!! You fuckin' moron.

    --
    Your mother was an over-friendly wino who made a home behind the fridge.
    John Holmes, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Sammy

    Unk Guest

    http://www.digitalforrest.com/peruggia/myfiles/bsm.gif
    Unk, Dec 22, 2005
  7. Sammy

    Sammy Guest

    "MaxCachedIcons" is not in the file indicated to me. Where
    else might it be. Did a search.
    Running Windows ME.
    Sammy, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Sammy

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Jan 3, 2006
  9. Sammy

    ernie Guest

    Search for the Hidden file ShellIconCache. Dunno ME but to show hidden files try
    Start > Settings > Folder Options > View tab > Advanced settings > "Show all
    files". Deleting this file can correct similar problems, usually wrong icons
    being displayed and it will be recreated on a reboot.
    ern.

    ernie, Jan 5, 2006