    shortcuts from the .exe file but desktop still uses the generic icon.
    Thanks for any assistance.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 5, 2003

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Sharon F Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:50:41 GMT, ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:

    > Using Win XP Home ed.
    >
    > Several of my desktop shortcut icons have changed back to generic
    > forms rather than the specific program icons.
    >

    > For example my icons for many internet shortcuts have gone back to the
    > Microsoft icon for Internet Explorer rather than the programs original
    > icon.
    > Can someone tell me what has caused this and how I can restore the
    > shortcut icons that were created by the program or application?
    >
    > I have gone to these program directories and created new desktop
    > shortcuts from the .exe file but desktop still uses the generic icon.
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > Frank

    Special icons for website shortcuts are small image files named favicon
    stored in the Temporary Internet Files folders. The icon will remain as
    long as the corresponding file is in the browser's cache. Empty the cache
    and it reverts to the IE shortcut icon.

    You can grab these favicon files out of the Temporary Internet Files
    folder. Rename them in a manner that helps you remember which one is for
    which site. Drop them into a folder on your hard drive - somewhere besided
    Temporary Internet Files. Then use the Properties> Change Icon of the
    individual internet shortcut to select the saved icon.

    There are third party programs available that simplify the above steps but
    the end results are the same: renaming and relocating the icons and then
    assigning them to the shortcut for the site.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP/ Windows XP - Shell/User

    Sharon F, Aug 5, 2003

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Unk Guest

    Run TweakUI and use the "Rebuild Icons" tool
    on the "Repair" tab. Tweakui Version 1.33.0.0
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

    Unk

    Unk, Aug 5, 2003
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    Unk Guest

    For the repair of the executable program icons (whatever.exe), run TweakUI
    and use the "Rebuild Icons" tool on the "Repair" tab.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

    The internet shortcut icons are a different story. It's called a "favicon"
    It's usually stored in the root directory of the website you visit.
    Because it's on the website and not your computer, when you go offline,
    or clear the cache files (C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files),
    you lose the icon and it reverts back to the Windows default.
    http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/favicon.htm
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp
    A Google search for "favicon" http://tinyurl.com/3qvj (almost 60,000 hits!)

    Now for the fun part. Because it's stored in the root directory of the
    website, it's usually stored with the default name of "favicon.ico"
    So, to grab Google's icon, send yourself an email with the web address and
    icon name. Example: http://www.google.com/favicon.ico
    (I mention Google only because they have one and it's there)
    When you get the email, right-click the link and "Save target as..."
    to your hard drive. When you look at the icon you just saved, if it's not
    the actual icon, but the Windows flag default (and bigger than about 2k)
    it's probably an html file (look at it with notepad). It says something like
    "requested page not found" (Oops, out of luck!)

    Now to get to your original question: Once you saved the icon to a folder,
    rename it to match the website, (Google.ico), right-click the Google website
    desktop shortcut, select "Properties", click "Change Icon", and "Browse"
    to where you saved the icon. Now, the icon will NEVER change.

    How to Create a favicon.ico
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/favicon.shtml

    Unk

    Unk, Aug 5, 2003
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    Frank Guest

    Thanks to the responders - your help is appreciated

    Frank

    Frank, Aug 6, 2003