    Naturally, this could be extended: have N desktop arrangements and a
    way to select a given one.

    Ideas?
    Robert Baer, Mar 23, 2014

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Reference: Win2K but this seems to be OS independent.
    > Screen :800x600 as default.
    > Icons: lots and lots,practically fills the screen.
    > Placement: I have them organized in various groups and depend them
    > being in specific positional relationships.
    >
    > I would dearly like to have a way of SAVING what i see, because on
    > rare occasion i need to switch to 640x480, and when i switch back to
    > 800x600 the majority of the icons are scrambled to all hell.
    > If my original,default placement could be restored, that would be very
    > very nice.
    >
    > Naturally, this could be extended: have N desktop arrangements and a
    > way to select a given one.
    >
    > Ideas?

    This one is for Win2K. It's based on layout.dll, written by a
    Microsoft staffer and included in a WinNT Resource Kit (probably
    the pay version, on a CDROM). A couple of sites archived the
    roughly 26K of files needed. There is a layout.dll and a registry
    file. Right clicking the registry file and selecting "Merge", installs
    a right-click context entry, used to save or restore the desktop
    icon positions.

    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout/

    *******

    This is for WinXP or later. The difference here, is
    multiple layouts can be stored. The program is portable, and
    whatever data folder you keep the executable in, is apparently
    where the data files it keeps will be stored too.

    http://funk.eu/icu-icon-configuration-utility/

    http://funk.eu/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=187

    http://funk.eu/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=188

    There is no mention of Win2K in the release notes. WinXP is the oldest supported.

    *******

    If testing, backup C: first, test the DLL thoroughly, try a few restarts,
    mess up the desktop and so on. If it doesn't meet your approval, you
    can restore from backup.

    The virustotal scan of layout.dll for the first item above,
    is not entirely clean. I expect there is one false positive here.
    In the additional information section, there is a reference to NIST,
    and the exact same file apparently appears on a number of Microsoft CDs.
    So it probably hasn't been modified. For whatever that is worth. Some
    of the entries on virustotal, are larger than their allowed upload limit,
    and a number of CDs of stuff were uploaded separately, as a
    "software collection" of sorts. It means some of the very large
    objects you might want to scan, are stored inside virustotal already.
    And the ResKit appears to be one of them.

    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...44a2934588b3cbb34b6491cd27a91e2064c/analysis/

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 23, 2014

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Reference: Win2K but this seems to be OS independent.
    >> Screen :800x600 as default.
    >> Icons: lots and lots,practically fills the screen.
    >> Placement: I have them organized in various groups and depend them
    >> being in specific positional relationships.
    >>
    >> I would dearly like to have a way of SAVING what i see, because on
    >> rare occasion i need to switch to 640x480, and when i switch back to
    >> 800x600 the majority of the icons are scrambled to all hell.
    >> If my original,default placement could be restored, that would be very
    >> very nice.
    >>
    >> Naturally, this could be extended: have N desktop arrangements and a
    >> way to select a given one.
    >>
    >> Ideas?

    > This one is for Win2K. It's based on layout.dll, written by a
    > Microsoft staffer and included in a WinNT Resource Kit (probably
    > the pay version, on a CDROM). A couple of sites archived the
    > roughly 26K of files needed. There is a layout.dll and a registry
    > file. Right clicking the registry file and selecting "Merge", installs
    > a right-click context entry, used to save or restore the desktop
    > icon positions.
    >
    > http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout/
    >
    > *******
    >
    > This is for WinXP or later. The difference here, is
    > multiple layouts can be stored. The program is portable, and
    > whatever data folder you keep the executable in, is apparently
    > where the data files it keeps will be stored too.
    >
    > http://funk.eu/icu-icon-configuration-utility/
    >
    > http://funk.eu/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=187
    >
    > http://funk.eu/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=188
    >
    > There is no mention of Win2K in the release notes. WinXP is the oldest
    > supported.
    >
    > *******
    >
    > If testing, backup C: first, test the DLL thoroughly, try a few restarts,
    > mess up the desktop and so on. If it doesn't meet your approval, you
    > can restore from backup.
    >
    > The virustotal scan of layout.dll for the first item above,
    > is not entirely clean. I expect there is one false positive here.
    > In the additional information section, there is a reference to NIST,
    > and the exact same file apparently appears on a number of Microsoft CDs.
    > So it probably hasn't been modified. For whatever that is worth. Some
    > of the entries on virustotal, are larger than their allowed upload limit,
    > and a number of CDs of stuff were uploaded separately, as a
    > "software collection" of sorts. It means some of the very large
    > objects you might want to scan, are stored inside virustotal already.
    > And the ResKit appears to be one of them.
    >
    > https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...44a2934588b3cbb34b6491cd27a91e2064c/analysis/
    >

    > Paul

    WOW! Lust got to try the layout.dll bit and is it slick!
    Much thanks!
    Robert Baer, Apr 5, 2014