    Can I stop it? At some point down the road the original ones reappear!!
    Weird . Carol

    ---

    Dusty, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Dusty

    °Mike° Guest

    Install TweakUI and use the 'Repair' function to
    'Rebuild Icons'.
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:20:02 GMT, in
    <CJ8Yb.6970$>
    Dusty scrawled:

    >My problem of MS icons changing on my desktop is annoying. It doesn't
    >prevent me from accessing that program, etc. but just as I get used to
    >seeing a symbol for a program, bingo next time I boot up or my desk top
    >blinks, new icons appear..usually something in the MS logo...Is this normal?
    >Can I stop it? At some point down the road the original ones reappear!!
    >Weird . Carol

    <snip broken AVG signature.>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Dusty

    gruffydd Guest

    friend had this problem and found the cause to be the Adobe Photoshop
    Elements prog.
    trust this helps you

    gruffydd, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Dusty

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:20:02 GMT, "Dusty" <> wrote:

    >My problem of MS icons changing on my desktop is annoying. It doesn't
    >prevent me from accessing that program, etc. but just as I get used to
    >seeing a symbol for a program, bingo next time I boot up or my desk top
    >blinks, new icons appear..usually something in the MS logo...Is this normal?
    >Can I stop it? At some point down the road the original ones reappear!!
    >Weird . Carol

    Sounds like the Shell Icon Cache is damaged.

    Locate the "ShellIconCache" (has no extension) file in
    C:\Windows and delete it. Windows will rebuild it.
    It is a "Hidden" file. If you can't see or find it,
    Open any folder, click "View", "Folder Options", and the "View" tab.
    Check the box, "Show all files", Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known
    file types", click "Apply", "OK"
    Refresh the C:\Windows\ folder (F5), and you should see the file now.

    Another quick fix is to Right-click on the desktop and choose Properties.
    In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Appearance tab.
    From the Item drop-down list, choose Icon. Click the up arrow in
    the Size box to increase it by one pixel then click the down arrow in the
    Size box to return the icons to their previous dimensions. This
    activates the "Apply" button. Click Apply, then OK.

    If you have TweakUI installed, it has a "Repair Icon" function.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

    For a permanent fix, You can increase the size of the cache with the
    following registry patch. Create a new text file called IconCache.txt
    Select the below text beginning with the 'R' in REGEDIT4 and
    and include the blank line. Copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into the
    text file. Rename the file to "IconCache.reg" and then double click it to
    modify the registry.

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]
    "Max Cached Icons"="4096"

    ^-----End copy

    Icons Randomly Change to Different Icons.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q132668

    Icons Displayed Incorrectly in Control Panel.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q133733

    Unk, Feb 17, 2004