    I have run ad-aware and the pc is clean of any spyware, anyone
    know what would keep creating the icon ~.

    Rgds hooter

    Hooter, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Hooter

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    If you have installed the cumulative update for OE, each time
    a contact is added to your address book, a file named "~" is
    created on your desktop when you exit OE or your address book.
    It is just a COPY of your Windows Address Book (*.wab).

    It is caused by the update for OE Q331923 (now Q330994).
    Microsoft are supposedly working on a fix.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp
    How to uninstall
    To remove the download, complete the following steps:

    On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control
    Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control
    Panel.)
    Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    In the list of currently installed programs, select Q330994
    and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears,
    follow the instructions to remove the program.
    Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:04:00 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bi60g0$rlg$>
    Hooter scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Hooter

    GOzzo Guest

    "Hooter" <> wrote in message
    > I keep getting a desktop icon appearing on my pc
    > called
    >
    > ~
    >

    > I have run ad-aware and the pc is clean of any spyware, anyone
    > know what would keep creating the icon ~.
    >
    > Rgds hooter

    click edit find and search for it there it has come up before

    GOzzo, Aug 22, 2003