    Anyone know why this happens or have a foolproof way of keeping the
    icons where i set them out?

    Cheers,

    moox7, Feb 5, 2009

  2. moox7

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 05:17:15 -0800, moox7 wrote:

    > I have my desktop icons align to grid and set up in a particular order
    > and positions on the desktop.
    >
    > Quite often after a reboot or even just closing the screen and reopening
    > it they will all default back to the left hand side of the screen.
    >
    > There is no arrarnt reason for this happening, sometimes it does
    > sometimes it doesn't.
    >
    > It's a Dell D620 running XP.
    >
    > Anyone know why this happens or have a foolproof way of keeping the
    > icons where i set them out?

    Windows is quite erratic and unpredictable. Most likely a hard drive
    format would correct this issue.

    Dan C, Feb 5, 2009

  3. moox7

    Buffalo Guest

    moox7 wrote:
    > I have my desktop icons align to grid and set up in a particular order
    > and positions on the desktop.
    >
    > Quite often after a reboot or even just closing the screen and
    > reopening it they will all default back to the left hand side of the
    > screen.
    >
    > There is no arrarnt reason for this happening, sometimes it does
    > sometimes it doesn't.
    >
    > It's a Dell D620 running XP.
    >
    > Anyone know why this happens or have a foolproof way of keeping the
    > icons where i set them out?
    >
    > Cheers,

    I know there are programs you can find in Google to do what you want if you
    can't get Windows XP to do it for you.

    Buffalo, Feb 5, 2009
  4. moox7

    thanatoid Guest

    moox7 <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > I have my desktop icons align to grid and set up in a
    > particular order and positions on the desktop.
    >
    > Quite often after a reboot or even just closing the screen
    > and reopening it they will all default back to the left
    > hand side of the screen.
    >
    > There is no arrarnt reason for this happening, sometimes it
    > does sometimes it doesn't.
    >
    > It's a Dell D620 running XP.
    >
    > Anyone know why this happens or have a foolproof way of
    > keeping the icons where i set them out?
    >
    > Cheers,

    Standard Windows behavior. After asking all over for about 10
    years, a genius in another group told me what apparantly no one
    else has figured out (or at least will not tell): the icon
    positions are storred in the regitsry, in the first "stream".
    But that's purely anecdotal, and registry propbelsm are also
    standard Windows behavior.

    Get the program from www.iconsaver.com and you problems are
    over. I haev tried several others and they are overkill in
    various ways, especially the oft-recommended "winTidy" (I
    /think/ that's what it's called).

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)

    thanatoid, Feb 5, 2009
  5. moox7

    thanatoid Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > On 05 Feb 2009 20:31:46 GMT, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >>Get the program from www.iconsaver.com and you problems are
    >>over. I haev tried several others and they are overkill in
    >>various ways, especially the oft-recommended "winTidy" (I
    >>/think/ that's what it's called).

    > I don't have any icons on the desk top other than projects
    > I'm working on and I have no idea why you do.

    You can't possibly think that /even I/ would reply to this?

    thanatoid, Feb 5, 2009
  6. moox7

    alan Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On 05 Feb 2009 20:31:46 GMT, thanatoid <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>moox7 <> wrote in
    >>oups.com:
    >>
    >>> I have my desktop icons align to grid and set up in a
    >>> particular order and positions on the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> Quite often after a reboot or even just closing the screen
    >>> and reopening it they will all default back to the left
    >>> hand side of the screen.
    >>>
    >>> There is no arrarnt reason for this happening, sometimes it
    >>> does sometimes it doesn't.
    >>>
    >>> It's a Dell D620 running XP.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know why this happens or have a foolproof way of
    >>> keeping the icons where i set them out?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >>Standard Windows behavior. After asking all over for about 10
    >>years, a genius in another group told me what apparantly no one
    >>else has figured out (or at least will not tell): the icon
    >>positions are storred in the regitsry, in the first "stream".
    >>But that's purely anecdotal, and registry propbelsm are also
    >>standard Windows behavior.
    >>
    >>Get the program from www.iconsaver.com and you problems are
    >>over. I haev tried several others and they are overkill in
    >>various ways, especially the oft-recommended "winTidy" (I
    >>/think/ that's what it's called).

    > I don't have any icons on the desk top other than projects I'm working
    > on and I have no idea why you do.

    Something wrong with having icons on the desktop?

    alan, Feb 5, 2009
  7. moox7 wrote:

    > I have my desktop icons align to grid and set up in a particular order
    > and positions on the desktop.
    >
    > Quite often after a reboot or even just closing the screen and
    > reopening it they will all default back to the left hand side of the
    > screen.
    >
    > There is no arrarnt [arrarnt?] reason for this happening, sometimes
    > it does sometimes it doesn't.

    Right-click on an empty spot on the desktop, and pick the icon choice
    from the context menu. UNcheck "Auto-Arrange."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 5, 2009
  8. moox7

    Buffalo Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Right-click on an empty spot on the desktop, and pick the icon choice
    > from the context menu. UNcheck "Auto-Arrange."

    Damn, I would have hoped the OP tried that already, but you never know. :)

    Buffalo, Feb 5, 2009
  9. moox7

    thanatoid Guest

    "alan" <> wrote in

    > "Lookout" <> wrote in message

    <SNIP>

    >> I don't have any icons on the desk top other than projects
    >> I'm working on and I have no idea why you do.

    > Something wrong with having icons on the desktop?

    DEFINITELY something wrong with having desktop shortcuts to
    "current projects", IMHO. ;-)

    thanatoid, Feb 5, 2009
  10. moox7

    alan Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:59:03 -0800, "alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Lookout" <> wrote in message

    >>> I think it's pretty stupid to have the access to your programs behind
    >>> what you're working on.

    >>Well, let's see --- if I have to access another program "behind" what I'm
    >>working on, I just click the "Show Desktop" icon on the taskbar, then
    >>click
    >>the program I want.
    >>
    >>You, on the other hand, probably click the "Start" button,

    > And you're wrong from this point on
    >
    >>select "Programs", then select a category of programs, then (finally)
    >>select the
    >>program you want. Even if you were lucky and the program you wanted was
    >>one
    >>frequently used and showed up in the mini-menu after clicking the start
    >>button, you still need to click twice to get what you want.
    >>
    >>So, explain to me, what's so "stupid" about the way I do it?

    > Care to try again?

    Nope, really not up to guessing what you do that's so superior to my method.
    If you care to explain it, fine, if not, that's fine too.

    alan, Feb 6, 2009
  11. moox7

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in message

    > On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:09:14 -0800, "alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "Lookout" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't have any icons on the desk top other than projects I'm
    >>> working on and I have no idea why you do.

    >> Something wrong with having icons on the desktop?

    > I think it's pretty stupid to have the access to your programs behind
    > what you're working on.

    Only drones do what you're suggesting.

    I for example will either do what Alan might do which is to 'show desktop'
    but I use my machine to access those programs and/or files using MSVDM; in
    addition I use this laptop from which I'm now posting with a monitor
    strapped to its arse thereby using multi-screen/multi-desktop - that is what
    one might call true multi-tasking/skilled.

    Oh, and my 'mouse click' count although I use a touchpad, is way, way, way,
    less than yours, so I am in effect far more efficient in what I do and how I
    do it.

    Care to reconsider your 'methodology'? Now don't get testy with me, just
    think before you respond.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Feb 6, 2009
  12. moox7

    alan Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 21:28:06 -0800, "alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Lookout" <> wrote in message

    >>> And you're wrong from this point on

    >>> Care to try again?

    >>Nope, really not up to guessing what you do that's so superior to my
    >>method.
    >>If you care to explain it, fine, if not, that's fine too.

    > Sure. At the top of the Start Menu I have 3 Folders containing grouped
    > programs: Communications (email\newsgroup\chat), Graphics (graphic
    > views and editors), and Utilities, a catch-all for others. All I have
    > to do is move my cursor over the correct Folder and all the programs
    > in the file open up..then I click on the program I need.
    > http://s580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/mrlookout/?action=view&current=Screenshot2.jpg
    > I like to see my wife's picture on my desk top and not a bunch of
    > icons.
    >
    > My wife does the same at work and the IS department now does this on
    > many of the computers so they can find programs easier. I figured this
    > out about a week after Win95 came out.

    OK, your method: click Start, moouse-over to correct folder, mouse-over to
    program desired, click program.
    My method: click Show Desktop, mouse-over to program desired, click program.
    I still fail to see why my method is "stupid" and yours (with one extra
    action) is not.
    You said that "... it's pretty stupid to have the access to your programs
    behind what you're working on." Your access to programs appears to be
    further limited by the necessity of an extra step.
    Now, if you'd just said "I do it another way, but that's because I like to
    have an unimpeded view of the pic on my desktop", *that* I can understand,
    but I can't understand why it's "stupid" not to share your particular giant
    desktop photo preferences . . . am I missing something?

    alan, Feb 7, 2009
  13. moox7

    thanatoid Guest

    "alan" <> wrote in

    > am I
    > missing something?

    I /know/ I'll regret this, but you all appear to be "missing"
    the existence of unusually useful functionality of Alt/Tab and
    Win/M.

    thanatoid, Feb 7, 2009
  14. moox7

    alan Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:52:15 -0800, "alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Lookout" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sure. At the top of the Start Menu I have 3 Folders containing grouped
    >>> programs: Communications (email\newsgroup\chat), Graphics (graphic
    >>> views and editors), and Utilities, a catch-all for others. All I have
    >>> to do is move my cursor over the correct Folder and all the programs
    >>> in the file open up..then I click on the program I need.
    >>> http://s580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/mrlookout/?action=view&current=Screenshot2.jpg
    >>> I like to see my wife's picture on my desk top and not a bunch of
    >>> icons.
    >>>
    >>> My wife does the same at work and the IS department now does this on
    >>> many of the computers so they can find programs easier. I figured this
    >>> out about a week after Win95 came out.

    >>OK, your method: click Start, moouse-over to correct folder, mouse-over to
    >>program desired, click program.
    >>My method: click Show Desktop, mouse-over to program desired, click
    >>program.
    >>I still fail to see why my method is "stupid" and yours (with one extra
    >>action) is not.
    >>You said that "... it's pretty stupid to have the access to your programs
    >>behind what you're working on." Your access to programs appears to be
    >>further limited by the necessity of an extra step.
    >>Now, if you'd just said "I do it another way, but that's because I like to
    >>have an unimpeded view of the pic on my desktop", *that* I can understand,
    >>but I can't understand why it's "stupid" not to share your particular
    >>giant
    >>desktop photo preferences . . . am I missing something?

    > You have what...30+ icons strewn all over your desk? Mine are all
    > grouped by type and easily located.

    Good guess --- I just counted 28 of them. I would not, however, describe
    them as "strewn all over"; rather, they are logically arranged and, being
    grouped by type, are also easily located.

    It appears that I'm not missing anything and that it's as I originally
    suspected --- you have an attachment to a particular method based on your
    very subjective sense of esthetics rather than any logical considerations of
    efficiency.

    I quite understand your view of your desktop as a photo display area rather
    than as a work area, and I understand as well your willingness to
    incorporate an extra step toward accessing your programs in order to
    preserve it as such, but I do object to you calling my method "stupid"
    because I don't share your sense of esthetics.

    alan, Feb 7, 2009