    many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to these now
    lost.
    Silvabod

    Silvabod, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Silvabod

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Silvabod" <> wrote in
    news:8Q43f.50$:

    > "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
    > function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of
    > running application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get
    > to the desktop)
    >
    > New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
    > Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of
    > the many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to
    > these now lost.
    > Silvabod

    Create a file 'Show Desktop.scf'
    put the following lines in it:

    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    Safe it and drag it to the 'Quick lauch' bar.

    Ingeborg, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Silvabod

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Silvabod" <> wrote in message
    > "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
    > function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of running
    > application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get to the
    > desktop)
    >
    > New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
    > Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of the
    > many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to these now
    > lost.
    > Silvabod

    Enable the QuickLaunch Toolbar

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Knew it was something simple, I just forgot what it was! Thanks, Noel.

    Silvabod, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Thanks, Ingeborg, appreciate your reply.
    Noel's solution works (the "toggle desktop" icon is already on it, so no
    additional script needed)
    I didn't have "quicklaunch" toolbar enabled, was the problem.
    Silvabod

    Silvabod, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Silvabod

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Silvabod" wrote in message news:8Q43f.50$

    > "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START
    > button. Its function when clicked was to display the desktop
    > over the top of running application (thus, didn't have to minimise
    > every window to get to the desktop)
    >
    > New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
    > Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came
    > from one of the many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years
    > ago - links to these now lost.

    How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355

    Dave Lear, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Silvabod

    FML Guest

    Silvabod wrote:
    > "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
    > function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of running
    > application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get to the
    > desktop)
    >
    > New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
    > Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of the
    > many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to these now
    > lost.
    > Silvabod

    As previously stated, you can enable the Quicklaunch Toolbar.
    Or you can use the keyboard shortcut WinKey-D

    FML, Oct 15, 2005
  8. Silvabod

    michele Guest

    Open Notepad and enter the following text:

    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    Save the new file as Show Desktop.scf then drag and drop the icon on the
    Quick Launch bar or whatever location you want the shortcut to appear.

    michele, Oct 15, 2005
  9. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    That's a new one on me! Thanks! (Winkey /D)

    Silvabod, Oct 17, 2005