    don't want to turn off the computer.

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, May 18, 2006

  2. Geopelia

    Crash Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > When the computer is left on, the desktop (or a viewed page) used to change
    > to a Windows XP screensaver after some time.
    > Sometimes this doesn't work and the desktop stays on.
    >
    > I've tried Tools and Help, but can't find anything about this.
    >
    > What do I click please to make the desktop disappear after a certain time? I
    > don't want to turn off the computer.

    There are two aspects to this - using a screen saver and putting your monitor
    into stand-by mode.

    When you use a screen saver the image on your monitor is simply replaced by
    whatever the screen saver image is. Most screensavers were designed to have a
    variable display to avoid screen-burn where the constant image of, say, your
    desktop was displayed for so long that you counl see it in outline on your
    screen when you came to use your PC. Most monitors no longer are suseptible to
    this. To choose a screen saver simply right-click anywhere on your desktop,
    choose 'properties then choose the 'screen saver' tab. You can then choose your
    screen saver, set various options and set the 'Wait' period (after which the
    screen saver is invoked).

    When you put your monitor into standby mode you are effectively telling it to
    'power off' but without actually cutting the power. This is done by choosing
    the 'Monitor Power' options just below the screen saver options on the 'screen
    saver' tab outlined above. Choose the 'turn off monitor' time period.

    You can use both options simply by ensuring that the screen saver wait period is
    shorter than the 'turn off monitor' time. For example if the screen saver wait
    period is 10 minutes and the 'turn off monitor' period is 30 minutes then once
    your PC has been inactive for 10 minutes the screen saver is invoked, and if the
    PC remains inactive after 30 minutes the monitor will be put into power saver
    mode (not actually off but the screen will be blank). When you then do
    something with the PC (such as move the mouse) the image last displayed will
    return (may take a few seconds if the monitor was 'turned off').

    Good luck,
    Crash.
    Crash, May 18, 2006

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> When the computer is left on, the desktop (or a viewed page) used to
    >> change to a Windows XP screensaver after some time.
    >> Sometimes this doesn't work and the desktop stays on.
    >>
    >> I've tried Tools and Help, but can't find anything about this.
    >>
    >> What do I click please to make the desktop disappear after a certain
    >> time? I don't want to turn off the computer.

    > There are two aspects to this - using a screen saver and putting your
    > monitor into stand-by mode.
    >
    > When you use a screen saver the image on your monitor is simply replaced
    > by whatever the screen saver image is. Most screensavers were designed to
    > have a variable display to avoid screen-burn where the constant image of,
    > say, your desktop was displayed for so long that you counl see it in
    > outline on your screen when you came to use your PC. Most monitors no
    > longer are suseptible to this. To choose a screen saver simply
    > right-click anywhere on your desktop, choose 'properties then choose the
    > 'screen saver' tab. You can then choose your screen saver, set various
    > options and set the 'Wait' period (after which the screen saver is
    > invoked).
    >
    > When you put your monitor into standby mode you are effectively telling it
    > to 'power off' but without actually cutting the power. This is done by
    > choosing the 'Monitor Power' options just below the screen saver options
    > on the 'screen saver' tab outlined above. Choose the 'turn off monitor'
    > time period.
    >
    > You can use both options simply by ensuring that the screen saver wait
    > period is shorter than the 'turn off monitor' time. For example if the
    > screen saver wait period is 10 minutes and the 'turn off monitor' period
    > is 30 minutes then once your PC has been inactive for 10 minutes the
    > screen saver is invoked, and if the PC remains inactive after 30 minutes
    > the monitor will be put into power saver mode (not actually off but the
    > screen will be blank). When you then do something with the PC (such as
    > move the mouse) the image last displayed will return (may take a few
    > seconds if the monitor was 'turned off').
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Crash.

    Thank you.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, May 18, 2006
  4. Geopelia

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-18, Geopelia <> wrote:
    > When the computer is left on, the desktop (or a viewed page) used to change
    > to a Windows XP screensaver after some time.
    > Sometimes this doesn't work and the desktop stays on.
    >
    > I've tried Tools and Help, but can't find anything about this.
    >
    > What do I click please to make the desktop disappear after a certain time? I
    > don't want to turn off the computer.

    Check that the screensaver is turned on

    Try a different surface under your mouse woodgrains confuse some mice

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, May 19, 2006
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Jasen Betts" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-05-18, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >> When the computer is left on, the desktop (or a viewed page) used to
    >> change
    >> to a Windows XP screensaver after some time.
    >> Sometimes this doesn't work and the desktop stays on.
    >>
    >> I've tried Tools and Help, but can't find anything about this.
    >>
    >> What do I click please to make the desktop disappear after a certain
    >> time? I
    >> don't want to turn off the computer.

    > Check that the screensaver is turned on
    >
    > Try a different surface under your mouse woodgrains confuse some mice
    >

    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Thank you. My mouse (optical) is on a clean sheet of paper, matt surface.
    I have the screensaver set to come on after 7 minutes. It hasn't been coming
    on at all today. I think something may be wrong.
    It was working last night.

    If the desktop is permanently on, does it do any harm? It is just plain,
    with all the icons. Or would it be better to switch the monitor off when not
    in use?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, May 20, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    Matty F Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > Thank you. My mouse (optical) is on a clean sheet of paper, matt surface.
    > I have the screensaver set to come on after 7 minutes. It hasn't been coming
    > on at all today. I think something may be wrong.
    > It was working last night.
    >
    > If the desktop is permanently on, does it do any harm? It is just plain,
    > with all the icons. Or would it be better to switch the monitor off when not
    > in use?

    I wouldn't waste time using a "screen saver". Set it to "None".
    Use the "energy saving" feature instead, to turn the monitor off
    after about 5 minutes. Windows will forget your settings
    sometimes, so when it does, choose 3 minutes and OK, then change
    it back to 5 minutes and OK, because if you don't change the time
    it thinks you've done nothing.

    When the screen is off and you want to use it, press the Shift
    key (being the only key that does nothing to whatever is on your
    screen).
    Matty F, May 20, 2006
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest