Desired digital camera description. Please advise. . .

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hrundi V. Bakshi, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. I take a lot of photos, wether I'm driving or out somewhere using a
    tripod, indoors or out.

    I prefer to use the SD memory card format.

    To me, razor sharp focusing is as important as accurate color balance.

    I'd like a settable feature that will allow the camera to take 3 or
    more photos each time I snap the scene.

    Once to take the photo slightly under exposed.
    Once to take the photo 'right on' according to the default exposure
    setting,and
    Once to take the photo slightly over exposed.

    I have a considerable memory in several SD cards, from present camera.

    A 4 or more megapixel camera would be ideal.

    Please advise,
    George

    Hrundi V. Bakshi, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Hrundi V. Bakshi

    m Ransley Guest

    Read up at dpreview what cameras offer Bracket expose, my sony H5 does,
    but its not Sd

    m Ransley, Sep 11, 2006

  3. On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:16:08 GMT, Hrundi V. Bakshi <> wrote:

    > I take a lot of photos, wether I'm driving or out somewhere using a
    > tripod, indoors or out.
    >
    > I prefer to use the SD memory card format.
    >
    > To me, razor sharp focusing is as important as accurate color balance.
    >
    > I'd like a settable feature that will allow the camera to take 3 or
    > more photos each time I snap the scene.
    >
    > Once to take the photo slightly under exposed.
    > Once to take the photo 'right on' according to the default exposure
    > setting,and
    > Once to take the photo slightly over exposed.

    This is called exposure bracketing, and quite a few cameras support it.
    Most limit you to 3 shots; some allow 5. Without checking, I'd guess
    that most any camera with a full manual mode (i.e. manual control of
    aperture and shutter) would support bracketing, and probably a fair
    number of cameras that are auto-only.

    > I have a considerable memory in several SD cards, from present camera.
    >
    > A 4 or more megapixel camera would be ideal.

    That's still going to be a huge number of models to pick from.

    How big of a camera do you want?
    How much money are you thinking of spending?
    What sort of range of focal lengths do you think you'll want (or, if you
    prefer, how much optical zoom)?

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Hrundi V. Bakshi

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:16:08 GMT, Hrundi V. Bakshi wrote:

    > I take a lot of photos, wether I'm driving or out somewhere using a
    > tripod, indoors or out.
    >
    > I prefer to use the SD memory card format.
    >
    > To me, razor sharp focusing is as important as accurate color balance.
    >
    > I'd like a settable feature that will allow the camera to take 3 or
    > more photos each time I snap the scene.
    >
    > Once to take the photo slightly under exposed.
    > Once to take the photo 'right on' according to the default exposure
    > setting,and
    > Once to take the photo slightly over exposed.
    >
    > I have a considerable memory in several SD cards, from present camera.
    >
    > A 4 or more megapixel camera would be ideal.

    My nearly 2 year old 4mp Fuji wouldn't suit you since it uses xD
    cards, but it has Auto Bracketing. This feature takes 3 shots, one
    at the supposedly correct exposure setting, and the other two offset
    by a menu configurable amount. The 3 available choices are either
    +/- 1/3EV, +/- 2/3EV or +/- 1EV. I think that most halfway decent
    cameras should have this kind of bracketing, but finding one that
    has razor sharp focusing might be a tougher task. The Fuji focuses
    fairly accurately unless light levels are moderately low. I've read
    that Sony's expensive P&S ($1000) doesn't always focus accurately.
    There are probably some P&S cameras that will satisfy your needs,
    but if you can't find one, almost any DSLR should. They not only
    focus more accurately, but usually much quicker as well. With the
    recent introduction of new DSLR models, many entry level DSLRs
    should be available at attractive prices.

    ASAAR, Sep 11, 2006
  5. Hrundi V. Bakshi

    Jim Guest

    "Hrundi V. Bakshi" <> wrote in message

    > I take a lot of photos, wether I'm driving or out somewhere using a
    > tripod, indoors or out.
    >
    > I prefer to use the SD memory card format.
    >
    > To me, razor sharp focusing is as important as accurate color balance.

    There is no interaction between these two requirements.

    > I'd like a settable feature that will allow the camera to take 3 or
    > more photos each time I snap the scene.

    This called "bracketing".

    > Once to take the photo slightly under exposed.
    > Once to take the photo 'right on' according to the default exposure
    > setting,and
    > Once to take the photo slightly over exposed.
    >
    > I have a considerable memory in several SD cards, from present camera.
    >
    > A 4 or more megapixel camera would be ideal.

    Nearly all are these days. How much you need depends on how large you want
    the output to be.
    Jim

    Jim, Sep 11, 2006
  6. Hrundi V. Bakshi

    Pete D Guest

    > I take a lot of photos, wether I'm driving or out somewhere using a
    > tripod, indoors or out.
    >
    > I prefer to use the SD memory card format.
    >
    > To me, razor sharp focusing is as important as accurate color balance.
    >
    > I'd like a settable feature that will allow the camera to take 3 or
    > more photos each time I snap the scene.
    >
    > Once to take the photo slightly under exposed.
    > Once to take the photo 'right on' according to the default exposure
    > setting,and
    > Once to take the photo slightly over exposed.
    >
    > I have a considerable memory in several SD cards, from present camera.
    >
    > A 4 or more megapixel camera would be ideal.
    >
    > Please advise,
    > George

    Mmmm, firstly just how many and how big are all your SD cards, getting other
    cards that are much bigger and faster than what you already have is probably
    a lot cheaper than you think. A 1 Gig SD or CF card are available for $30-40
    quite trivial really and should not limit what camera you choose.

    Pete D, Sep 11, 2006
  7. Hrundi V. Bakshi

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    Hrundi V. Bakshi wrote:

    This wouldn't by any chance be for taking pictures at a party?

    Birdie num num...?

    --
    Dragons - the ORIGINAL flying toasters!

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

    anl

    Mueen Nawaz, Sep 12, 2006
  8. (Hrundi V. Bakshi) writes:

    > I'd like a settable feature that will allow the camera to take 3 or
    > more photos each time I snap the scene.
    >
    > Once to take the photo slightly under exposed.
    > Once to take the photo 'right on' according to the default exposure
    > setting,and
    > Once to take the photo slightly over exposed.

    This is called "AE bracketing" or "exposure bracketing" and a lot of
    the better P&S compacts, as well as many consumer DSLRs, have this
    feature.

    One example of a camera that provides AE bracketing, and uses SD
    cards, is the Nikon D50.

    But there is dozens more. Just find a camera using SD cards you are
    happy with, and check if it has exposure bracketing or AE bracketing
    on its feature list.
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Sep 12, 2006
  9. On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 05:50:39 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr
    <> wrote:

    > (Hrundi V. Bakshi) writes:
    >
    >> I'd like a settable feature that will allow the camera to take 3 or
    >> more photos each time I snap the scene.
    >>
    >> Once to take the photo slightly under exposed.
    >> Once to take the photo 'right on' according to the default exposure
    >> setting,and
    >> Once to take the photo slightly over exposed.

    >This is called "AE bracketing" or "exposure bracketing" and a lot of
    >the better P&S compacts, as well as many consumer DSLRs, have this
    >feature.
    >
    >One example of a camera that provides AE bracketing, and uses SD
    >cards, is the Nikon D50.
    >
    >But there is dozens more. Just find a camera using SD cards you are
    >happy with, and check if it has exposure bracketing or AE bracketing
    >on its feature list.
    >--
    >- gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://hannemyr.com/photo/ ]
    > Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Thank you for your responses.

    Hrundi V. Bakshi, Sep 17, 2006