Designing for MDU?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dan, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Hello all,

    I have been charged with the task of designing a data network for a
    newly constructed Multi Dwelling Unit (MDU). I'm just beginning my
    research, googling around and whatnot. I'm looking for suggestions and
    recommendations both in terms of design, equipment, and resource
    references.

    There will be about 200 units. I need to provide each unit with a
    capped amount of network data (ie, 1 Mbps down, 128k up) and a seperate
    data network for VoIP.

    Questions:

    1. Can anybody provide URL references that might be helpful?

    2. What is the best way to do the rate limiting? If each unit will be
    on its own Vlan segment, I imagine that would be it. Is that done on
    the router then or the switch? I am unfamiliar with setting up rate
    limiting..

    3. What I need most is recommendations for types of routers/switches I
    should be looking at. I have no idea which devices are capable of
    providing the services I require.

    If I have been too vague here describing what I am trying to do, please
    tell me so and I will attempt to provide more information. Thank you
    for your time and consideration.

    Dan
    Dan, Dec 1, 2005