    small F stop (F22 etc). What gives, and what have I got wrong"

    --
    Don From Down Under

    Don, Sep 7, 2003

  2. Don

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <zAw6b.86771$>,
    says...
    > I recently set my 10D to the maximum DOF setting to see how it performed. I
    > was using a 28mm Tamron zoom. The settings displayed (on this particular
    > day) at 1/1000 @ F4. I thought that to get maximum DOF you had to use a
    > small F stop (F22 etc). What gives, and what have I got wrong"
    >
    > --
    > Don From Down Under

    What do you mean when you say you set it to the maximum DOF setting?
    Were you using the A-DEP mode?

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 7, 2003

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    Todd, that's correct.

    regards

    Don

    Don, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Don

    MarkH Guest

    "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in

    > You have to focus twice in DEP mode - once on the nearest thing you
    > want in focua and once on the furthest. If they are very close
    > together the camera will set a large aperture. If they are far apart
    > the camera will set a small aperture. I never use DEP mode but use the
    > dof preview button all the time.

    You are getting the 10D A-DEP mode confused with the 1D/1Ds DEP mode.

    With the 10D A-DEP the camera attempts to get everything in all 7 AF points
    into the depth of focus area. Personally I just use the Av mode instead
    and set what I think will achieve the result that I want.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Sep 7, 2003
  5. Don

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I didn't realise Canon had changed the way it works. I guess that means
    the camera was pointed at a parallel surface -- like a wall, in order to set
    f4.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto