    would indicate what the Depth of Field is.

    Anybody, please?
    Thanks
    Michael P Gabriel, Jun 25, 2004

  2. I'm not sure exactly what your question is? When you depress the depth of
    field button at F22 everything becomes darker because the aperture gets
    smaller blocking out the light thus giving you what will be seen on the film
    for your depth of field. When the DOF button is released the aperture goes
    to the largest opening the lens allows letting in more light so you can see
    your image clearly. So if your aperture is set to F2.8 and you press the DOF
    button everything remains bright in the picture and your DOF is very
    shallow, if your aperture is set to F22 and depress the DOF button
    everything becomes dark due to the small amount of light entering through
    the lens and if you look closely you will see you have a much greater DOF.
    The only info your going to have is whatever your aperture is set at when
    you depress the DOF button (ie: F8, F11 or whatever)

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Babbling Brook Photography

    Babbling Brook Photography, Jun 25, 2004

  3. (Michael P Gabriel) wrote in

    > Hi,
    > First, I understand precisely what, "Depth of Field", is. My question
    > is how to determine it on my 35mm Canon Rebel 2000.
    >
    > I tried a post on "rec.photo.35mm" but the posts there are so few
    > and far between, there's no telling when, if ever, I would get an
    > answer.
    >
    > So here I am in the wrong venue, hoping I could get an answer: My
    > Canon Rebel 2000 35mm camera has a Depth of Field preview button. When
    > I depress it, the viewfinder goes dark, but I don't see any info that
    > would indicate what the Depth of Field is.

    You have to be looking sharply at the (now dark) image to get the
    idea. Choose a good subject, something in bright light, preferably with
    high contrast, and going both towards and away from you - a white picket
    fence works well, a series of road signs, whatever. Watch the out-of-focus
    ones as you press the DOF Preview button - you should see them become
    sharper.

    In real time use, it can be tricky, but I tend to look for bright
    highlights like reflections from chrome or water, or anything white. Take a
    minute to allow your eyes to get used to the darkness - some people use
    sunglasses, only removing them when their eye is very close to the eyepiece
    and the button is already depressed. Shielding your eye from light coming
    in the side can help, too, as can a deep rubber eyecup. For macro work, I
    use a small powerful flashlight, and DOF is crucial in macro work.

    Finally, try checking out rec.photo.equipment.35mm, much more
    activity there, and much more knowledgable.

    - Al.

    --
    To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain
    Al Denelsbeck, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Michael P Gabriel wrote:
    > Hi,
    > First, I understand precisely what, "Depth of Field", is. My question
    > is how to determine it on my 35mm Canon Rebel 2000.
    >
    > I tried a post on "rec.photo.35mm" but the posts there are so few
    > and far between, there's no telling when, if ever, I would get an
    > answer.
    >
    > So here I am in the wrong venue, hoping I could get an answer: My
    > Canon Rebel 2000 35mm camera has a Depth of Field preview button. When
    > I depress it, the viewfinder goes dark, but I don't see any info that
    > would indicate what the Depth of Field is.
    >
    > Anybody, please?
    > Thanks

    Lets start with what that button is. It is a Depth of Field PREVIEW
    Button. It lets you preview what the depth of field will be for the
    apertures/focus/lens selected. It is darker because you are not viewing at
    the same apertures the lens is set for and the same apertures the camera
    will use to record the image.

    There are tables and formulas that will provide depth of field
    information, based on focal length, apertures setting and distance setting.
    The result is the theoretical minimum and maximum distances where the image
    will be in ideal focus. The only trouble with this kind of information is
    life is not theory, but analog.

    The photographer is interested in more than just want will be in ideal
    focus, but also what will not and how far out of focus the rest will be.
    This is where the DOF preview comes in. It will show you that your dog will
    be sharp from the tip of its nose to most of the way to the end of the tail,
    and the ugly shack behind the dog will be fuzzy enough that it will not
    detract from your dog's image.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Michael P Gabriel

    George Guest

    The Depth of Field button stops the lens down to shooting aperture (that is
    why it can be
    darker). There is no information read-out, what you are looking for in the
    viewfinder is the
    range of distances that are in focus (depth of field). From a practical
    standpoint, it is more
    useful than a read-out would be because you probably wouldn't know what
    distance different
    objects in your composition are at, but you CAN SEE what will be in focus
    and what won't
    be. Some lenses have marks on them that show what will be in focus at
    different apertures.

    George, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Michael P Gabriel

    Crownfield Guest

    Michael P Gabriel wrote:

    > Hi,
    > First, I understand precisely what, "Depth of Field", is. My question
    > is how to determine it on my 35mm Canon Rebel 2000.
    >
    > I tried a post on "rec.photo.35mm" but the posts there are so few
    > and far between, there's no telling when, if ever, I would get an
    > answer.
    >
    > So here I am in the wrong venue, hoping I could get an answer: My
    > Canon Rebel 2000 35mm camera has a Depth of Field preview button. When
    > I depress it, the viewfinder goes dark, but I don't see any info that
    > would indicate what the Depth of Field is.

    what did you expect, numbers in feet?
    you were looking at exactly the depth of field you will get
    in the viewfinder image. some was sharp, some was not.

    try multiplying the exposure x 4,
    and then try the button again.

    Crownfield, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Michael P Gabriel

    Justin Thyme Guest

    > So here I am in the wrong venue, hoping I could get an answer: My
    > Canon Rebel 2000 35mm camera has a Depth of Field preview button. When
    > I depress it, the viewfinder goes dark, but I don't see any info that
    > would indicate what the Depth of Field is.

    The dark image in your viewfinder is your info. You will notice it goes
    dark, and more appears in focus. DOF preview allows you to see in your
    viewfinder what will appear in focus. Any recent camera is normally set so
    when you are framing it is using the largest aperture. This means that you
    are seeing the view with the most available light, and least depth of field,
    allowing you to accurately focus on your main subject. Then when you put
    DOF preview on, it closes the aperture down to whatever it will be shooting
    with, so that what you see in the viewfinder is how the photo will come
    out - you will be able to see the range of distances that appear in focus.
    With most cameras that i've used a DOF preview on, unless you are in bright
    sunlight it is too dark to get any meaningful info with apertures smaller
    than about F8

    Justin Thyme, Jun 25, 2004