Depth of field effect

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Simon Harris, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Hi All,

    Can anyone advise how I can get a depth of field effect on my Olympus C400Z?
    I've seen a few shots like this, I think they really look good on portrait
    shots, really bring the eyes attention to the subject.

    Thanks,
    Simon.

    PS: I'm a newbie, be gental! :)
    PPS: I know this can be done in photo shop etc, i'd like to be able to
    achieve the same results with just the cam.

    --
    -
    * Please reply to group for the benefit of all

    Simon Harris, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Simon Harris

    WoZ Guest

    Select the widest aperature your camera has using aperature priority mode
    (or manually if you can)

    WoZ, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Simon Harris

    JJD Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:22:50 -0000, "Simon Harris"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Can anyone advise how I can get a depth of field effect on my Olympus C400Z?
    >I've seen a few shots like this, I think they really look good on portrait
    >shots, really bring the eyes attention to the subject.
    >
    >PS: I'm a newbie, be gental! :)
    >PPS: I know this can be done in photo shop etc, i'd like to be able to
    >achieve the same results with just the cam.

    You will have only moderate success, because of the nature of the
    small lens on the camera, but the following will give you the best
    shot at it.

    Set the aperture manually to fully open (small f-stop number = fully
    open). Set the zoom to full telephoto (optical only - no digital
    zoom). Move your subject away from the background you want to lose
    focus on. Move yourself away from the subject until you have the
    framing you want for the subject. You are using increased or
    decreased distance from the subject to give you your framing, rather
    than the zoom, as might do normally.

    If your shutter speed is now at maximum (fastest speed) and you are
    still over-exposed you might be able to set a lower (slower) ISO
    speed. If this is not available on your camera you can use a neutral
    density filter if you have one.

    JJD

    JJD, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Simon Harris

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Go to aperture priority and set the lens for the widest opening. This will
    be the minimum dof you can get. If it isn't thin enough, move closer to your
    subject or have the subject move further from the background, or do a
    combination of the two.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Thanks v.much for the replies - I'll give it a go tommorow! :)

    Simon.

    Simon Harris, Jan 21, 2004
  6. "Simon Harris" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Can anyone advise how I can get a depth of field effect on my Olympus

    C400Z?
    > I've seen a few shots like this, I think they really look good on portrait
    > shots, really bring the eyes attention to the subject.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Simon.
    >
    > PS: I'm a newbie, be gental! :)
    > PPS: I know this can be done in photo shop etc, i'd like to be able to
    > achieve the same results with just the cam.

    Great difficulty.

    Shallow DOF is a leisure only those with large sensor'd cameras enjoy. Or
    film cameras, of course. Not to give a full lecture on DOF, but it is
    primarily to do with the focal length of the lens used- a large sensor
    camera requires longer focal length lenses to get the same field of view as
    the equivalent on a small sensor camera. Longer focal length lenses have
    less depth of field at wide apertures than short focal length lenses as the
    same aperture. For the average snapper, this gives small sensor cameras an
    advantage (focus becomes less critical).

    The best you can hope for is to zoom in as far as your optical zoom allows,
    use A(perture priority) mode if you have it and open to the widest (smallest
    number) aperture, or use Portrait program mode (again, if you have it).

    --
    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss

    Martin Francis, Jan 21, 2004
  7. Simon Harris

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Depth of field effects can also be simulated in editing with most good
    software packages. Select the subject, reverse the selection, and
    select a blur function.

    WoZ wrote:

    > Select the widest aperature your camera has using aperature priority mode
    > (or manually if you can)
    >
    > "Simon Harris" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise how I can get a depth of field effect on my Olympus

    > C400Z?
    > > I've seen a few shots like this, I think they really look good on portrait
    > > shots, really bring the eyes attention to the subject.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Simon.
    > >
    > > PS: I'm a newbie, be gental! :)
    > > PPS: I know this can be done in photo shop etc, i'd like to be able to
    > > achieve the same results with just the cam.
    > >
    > > --
    > > -
    > > * Please reply to group for the benefit of all
    > > * Found the answer to your own question? Post it!
    > > * Get a useful reply to one of your posts?...post an answer to another one
    > > * Search first, post later : http://www.google.co.uk/groups
    > > * Want my email address? Ask me in a post...Cos2MuchSpamMakesUFat!

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Simon Harris

    JJD Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:51:59 -0600, Don Stauffer
    <> wrote:

    >Depth of field effects can also be simulated in editing with most good
    >software packages. Select the subject, reverse the selection, and
    >select a blur function.

    A little more work can produce a more realistic result. Copy and
    paste the picture on top of itself in the original layer. Apply the
    level of blur you want to the background layer. Use a large,
    feather-edged eraser to remove the bulk of the focussed top copy,
    revealing the unfocussed version underneath. Use a very fine
    feather-edged eraser around the subject (with it enlarged for
    accuracy).

    The fine, feathered cut around the subject allows just a little edge
    softness, so that the subject does not appear too "cut out" from the
    background. The use of an entire picture copy/paste and a large
    feathered eraser allows you to ease the subject's surroundings back
    into focus when they are in the same plane as the subject ( usually
    the ground they are standing on requires this). In some cases it is
    possible to use a graduated blur on the background copy, for a more
    natural fall off of focus.

    There will be many other favourite methods and variations, I'm sure.

    JJD

    JJD, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Hmmm....I just tried and ended up with the opposite of what I wanted! :)

    Background focused, forground subject blurred....I guess this is just down
    to the sample arae that the cam uses to focus???

    Simon Harris, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Simon Harris

    JJD Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:54:55 -0000, "Simon Harris"
    <> wrote:

    >Hmmm....I just tried and ended up with the opposite of what I wanted! :)
    >
    >Background focused, forground subject blurred....I guess this is just down
    >to the sample arae that the cam uses to focus???

    Aim the camera at the subject, half-press the shutter button and hold,
    then reframe the picture and fully press the shutter.

    JJD

    JJD, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Simon Harris

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    You may have moved in too close for the camera to focus on the subject.
    Check the minimum focus distance in your manual. I know nothing about the
    particular model you are using but if it has a zoom lens go to the longest
    setting (ie a 10- 50mm lens you would take out to 50 etc. It may simply not
    be possible to get very shallow dof with the camera you are using, in which
    case try to put your subject in front of a very plain background like a
    cloudless sky.

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 22, 2004
  12. Simon Harris

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:25:06 +1300, JJD <> wrote:

    >A little more work can produce a more realistic result.

    A good explanation ..... haven't tried that method, sounds good. Nice
    to see some useful advice instead of the usual crap one often finds -
    thanks. 8*)

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Jan 23, 2004
  13. Simon Harris

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Are you sure you reversed the selection? If you do not reverse, you
    will get just what you describe.

    Ordinarily, any filter is applied to selected area. If you do not have
    a program that reverses selection, you are stuck. But for software that
    reverses selection area, this means it applies filter to everything NOT
    part of selection.

    Don Stauffer, Jan 23, 2004
  14. Simon Harris

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Oops, I should have said INVERT selection, not reverse it. Sorry for
    the slip of tonque.

    Don Stauffer, Jan 23, 2004
  15. Simon Harris

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:30:04 -0600, Don Stauffer
    <> wrote:

    >Oops, I should have said INVERT selection, not reverse it. Sorry for
    >the slip of tonque.

    He's trying to do it in camera, The software discussion was
    incidental.

    JJD

    JJD, Jan 23, 2004
  16. Simon Harris

    Don Stauffer Guest

    I am aware of that. I was merely pointing out that if he CANNOT get
    what he wants in-camera, there is the software backup.

    Don Stauffer, Jan 24, 2004