Depth of Field and HFD calculator for digital and film

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nick Good, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Nick Good

    Nick Good Guest

    Nick Good, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Nick Good

    Huygens Guest

    (Nick Good) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Just passing this on.
    >
    > I found an interesting program to calculate DOF, hyperfocal distance
    > and some other stuff which works for digital cameras (DSLRs and P&S)
    > as well as film.
    >
    > The link is http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/depth_of_field_calc.html
    >
    > Nick Good

    Thanks - that looks nice.

    BTW you might want to investigate PreDesigner [free download from
    www.winlens.de] - also now does DOF, hyper focal distance etc, but
    includes other nice things, like field size, 'lens drawing' - a
    schematic of the object/lens/image etc.
    As with the above, it treats a lens like a black box, so no need
    to know the detailed lens prescription. Also has slider based
    variation of key parameters.
    However in the bob atkins prog, you need to know the lens focal
    length/object distance - these are fixed as the key conjugate
    parameters. But in PreDesigner, you may choose from a list of
    options, for example magnification/object distance/focal length/image
    distance and/or track - gives a bit more flexibility.

    hope this is interesting.

    Jan

    Huygens, Aug 27, 2004