Depression and Creativity

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 16, 2007

  2. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Aug 15, 9:33 pm, "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I posts a new column on my site discussing creativity and depression:http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1068

    You forgot to mention one temporary cure for depression (for me
    anyway). Go rent a nice lens! Something like the Canon 85mm f/1.2L
    II usually does the trick.

    Annika1980, Aug 16, 2007

  3. True, retail therapy (even rental) can help but is not always the best
    solution :)

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Photography and Art Forums http://www.dimagemaker.com/forums/index.php
    Personal art site http://www.cosshall.com/

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I posts a new column on my site discussing creativity and depression:
    > http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1068

    Hey, you get some great Google ads when you write about depression. You
    even get Jesus advertising in person. Makes it worth going off topic now
    and then just to see what Google ads throws up...

    David

    David Kilpatrick, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Wayne J. Cosshall

    smb Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:01:32 -0700, Annika1980 <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 15, 9:33 pm, "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I posts a new column on my site discussing creativity and depression:http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1068

    >You forgot to mention one temporary cure for depression (for me
    >anyway). Go rent a nice lens! Something like the Canon 85mm f/1.2L
    >II usually does the trick.

    Not to mention engaging in some healthy bashing of Republicans as the
    source of all your problems, right Bret? ;-)

    To Wayne: very good article. I think you have some good insight.
    Creative people need to create, and when that isn't happening it can
    affect many other things in one's life.

    A good example is someone who is passionate about creative photography
    but works at a real job to make ends meet. Often there is not much
    time or energy leftover for what you really want to do, and depression
    can result.

    Steve

    smb, Aug 16, 2007
  6. LOL well I don't consider creativity off topic.

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 16, 2007
  7. Exactly. Balancing life's demands, which only seem to get more and more
    as life goes on, can be a major headache.

    One thing I did not mention in the article that I find helps me when I
    am down is to get involved in helping others. This is why I am school
    council president at my daughter's school and do some counseling work
    with others. It is surprisingly helpful and having been there, at least
    to some degree, helps your empathy.

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 16, 2007
  8. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Aug 16, 6:14 am, David Kilpatrick <> wrote:

    > Hey, you get some great Google ads when you write about depression. You
    > even get Jesus advertising in person.

    Link me to Jesus. I got a few questions for him.

    Annika1980, Aug 16, 2007
  9. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Allen Guest

    Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > LOL well I don't consider creativity off topic.

    I wish everyone who posts here had the same view.
    Allen

    Allen, Aug 16, 2007
  10. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Matt Clara Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    >> LOL well I don't consider creativity off topic.
    >>

    > I wish everyone who posts here had the same view.
    > Allen

    On-topic spam is still spam.

    --
    www.mattclara.com

    Matt Clara, Aug 16, 2007
  11. Well, alot of the great art of the history was from depression or some other
    state of emotional pain. This holds true for paintings, sculptures, music,
    writing, etc. Nothing like mental anguish to get the creativity juices
    flowing to express it.

    Dennis

    Dennis' Newsgroups, Aug 28, 2007
  12. Dennis' Newsgroups wrote:
    > Well, alot of the great art of the history was from depression or some other
    > state of emotional pain. This holds true for paintings, sculptures, music,
    > writing, etc. Nothing like mental anguish to get the creativity juices
    > flowing to express it.

    The artist starving in a garret is certainly still a popular stereotype
    and, as such, has to be taken seriously.

    So, yes, unhappy people have produced wonderful work - most recently, I
    read a review of a biography of Josef Conrad that seems to confirm that
    view in spades. He left a happy life as a seaman for an unhappy one as a
    writer and family man.

    I'm not sure that it is necessary, though. It certainly isn't sufficient
    - unhappy people also produce crap.

    Peter H.M.Brooks, Aug 28, 2007
  13. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Guest

    On Aug 15, 9:33 pm, "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I posts a new column on my site discussing creativity and depression:http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1068
    >
    > The other column articles can be viewed here:http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/dimw.php
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > --
    > Wayne J. Cosshall
    > Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    > Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    > Photography and Art Forumshttp://www.dimagemaker.com/forums/index.php
    > Personal art sitehttp://www.cosshall.com/

    I believe you're talking about a very mild form of depression that
    everyone has from time to time. For me, the only creativity that
    comes from this are pics that depict a morbid sense of loss,
    loneliness, severe sadness, hopelessness, etc. Trying to vent out
    through photography what I'm feeling.
    Deep depression takes the person to a dark and lonely place, where
    nothing interests them. They are alone in darkness where no hope is
    in sight. Even a brand new dream camera has no interest, let alone
    being creative. Most of the time this is due to a chemical imbalance
    and a doctor is needed for help. For some the pain is so severe that
    the only way to escape is suicide.
    Helen

    , Aug 28, 2007
  14. wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 9:33 pm, "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I posts a new column on my site discussing creativity and depression:http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1068
    >>
    >> The other column articles can be viewed here:http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/dimw.php
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne J. Cosshall
    >> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    >> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    >> Photography and Art Forumshttp://www.dimagemaker.com/forums/index.php
    >> Personal art sitehttp://www.cosshall.com/

    > I believe you're talking about a very mild form of depression that
    > everyone has from time to time. For me, the only creativity that
    > comes from this are pics that depict a morbid sense of loss,
    > loneliness, severe sadness, hopelessness, etc. Trying to vent out
    > through photography what I'm feeling.
    > Deep depression takes the person to a dark and lonely place, where
    > nothing interests them. They are alone in darkness where no hope is
    > in sight. Even a brand new dream camera has no interest, let alone
    > being creative. Most of the time this is due to a chemical imbalance
    > and a doctor is needed for help. For some the pain is so severe that
    > the only way to escape is suicide.

    It is usually better to try SSRIs first - and then tricyclics. Exercise
    also helps.

    You're right, though, somebody truly depressed is unlikely to produce
    anything.

    Peter H.M.Brooks, Aug 28, 2007
  15. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Guest

    On Aug 28, 1:00 pm, "Peter H.M.Brooks" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Aug 15, 9:33 pm, "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote:
    > >> Hi All,

    > >> I posts a new column on my site discussing creativity and depression:http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1068

    > >> The other column articles can be viewed here:http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/dimw.php

    > >> Cheers,

    > >> Wayne

    > >> --
    > >> Wayne J. Cosshall
    > >> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    > >> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    > >> Photography and Art Forumshttp://www.dimagemaker.com/forums/index.php
    > >> Personal art sitehttp://www.cosshall.com/

    > > I believe you're talking about a very mild form of depression that
    > > everyone has from time to time. For me, the only creativity that
    > > comes from this are pics that depict a morbid sense of loss,
    > > loneliness, severe sadness, hopelessness, etc. Trying to vent out
    > > through photography what I'm feeling.
    > > Deep depression takes the person to a dark and lonely place, where
    > > nothing interests them. They are alone in darkness where no hope is
    > > in sight. Even a brand new dream camera has no interest, let alone
    > > being creative. Most of the time this is due to a chemical imbalance
    > > and a doctor is needed for help. For some the pain is so severe that
    > > the only way to escape is suicide.

    > It is usually better to try SSRIs first - and then tricyclics. Exercise
    > also helps.
    >
    > You're right, though, somebody truly depressed is unlikely to produce
    > anything.- Hide quoted text -

    That's why it's so important to see a professional, because only they
    can determine what degree of depression you are in and what drug and
    how much is best suited for the person.
    Exercise does help. Stimulating the endorphins.
    Helen

    , Aug 28, 2007
  16. Hi there

    wrote:

    > That's why it's so important to see a professional, because only they
    > can determine what degree of depression you are in and what drug and
    > how much is best suited for the person.
    > Exercise does help. Stimulating the endorphins.
    > Helen

    Did you see Stephan Fry's documentary on bipolar disorder?
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=14&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

    He is highly productive during his manic episodes.
    He claims that he is better off being manic depressed then being just
    plain happy.

    A lot of people just cope by eating lots of fatty fish (Ω3).

    Regards,
    Rob
    --
    The nice thing about the Millau bridge is that you can have both your
    head in the clouds and your feet on the ground at the same time.

    Rob van der Putten, Aug 29, 2007
  17. Wayne J. Cosshall

    cjcampbell Guest

    On Aug 15, 6:33 pm, "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I posts a new column on my site discussing creativity and depression:http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1068

    Your comment that people "need not be scared" when seeking help is not
    necessarily true. Society has a way of punishing people who suffer
    from depression. There are probably thousands of aircraft pilots with
    untreated depression because if they seek help they will lose their
    medical certificates to fly. If that FAA rule seems perverse and
    counterproductive, well, it is.

    cjcampbell, Aug 29, 2007
  18. Peter H.M.Brooks wrote:
    > Dennis' Newsgroups wrote:
    >
    >> Well, alot of the great art of the history was from depression or some
    >> other state of emotional pain. This holds true for paintings,
    >> sculptures, music, writing, etc. Nothing like mental anguish to get
    >> the creativity juices flowing to express it.
    >>

    > The artist starving in a garret is certainly still a popular stereotype
    > and, as such, has to be taken seriously.
    >
    > So, yes, unhappy people have produced wonderful work - most recently, I
    > read a review of a biography of Josef Conrad that seems to confirm that
    > view in spades. He left a happy life as a seaman for an unhappy one as a
    > writer and family man.
    >
    > I'm not sure that it is necessary, though. It certainly isn't sufficient
    > - unhappy people also produce crap.

    Yes, but it's well-known that Conrad had a heart of darkness.

    Erik A. Mattila, Aug 29, 2007
  19. Wayne J. Cosshall

    pico Guest

    > The artist starving in a garret is certainly still a popular stereotype
    > and, as such, has to be taken seriously.

    A lot of people believe in alien invaders. Does that mean we have to take
    them seriously?

    pico, Aug 29, 2007
  20. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Guest

    On Aug 29, 4:40 am, Rob van der Putten <> wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > wrote:
    > > That's why it's so important to see a professional, because only they
    > > can determine what degree of depression you are in and what drug and
    > > how much is best suited for the person.
    > > Exercise does help. Stimulating the endorphins.
    > > Helen

    > Did you see Stephan Fry's documentary on bipolar disorder?http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8579422939708555329&q="ste...
    >
    > He is highly productive during his manic episodes.
    > He claims that he is better off being manic depressed then being just
    > plain happy.
    >
    > A lot of people just cope by eating lots of fatty fish ( 3).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Rob
    > --
    > The nice thing about the Millau bridge is that you can have both your
    > head in the clouds and your feet on the ground at the same time.

    Unfortunately not many are that fortunate to be able to function, even
    in the basic sense, while suffering from severe depression.
    Fatty fish that comes from ice cold waters such as some Norwegian
    countries are a great idea for overall good health.
    Helen

    , Aug 29, 2007