    I sincerely doubt it is stout enough, accurate enough or made of the
    right alloy. Maybe they liked the nice, blue paint job?
    I guess I was lucky though, they didn't charge me for the inspection!!

    RichA, Oct 25, 2011

  2. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > A mailed item takes 15 days to go from New York to Toronto because
    > "they" got involved. A 2ft aluminum tube for a telescope got stopped
    > for inspection because "it could have been used in centrifuges for
    > refining nuclear materials."
    > I sincerely doubt it is stout enough, accurate enough or made of the
    > right alloy. Maybe they liked the nice, blue paint job?
    > I guess I was lucky though, they didn't charge me for the inspection!!

    Paranoid!

    Now I know why my GPS puck is taking so long to come from the USA!

    David J Taylor, Oct 25, 2011

  3. >> Actually, if you were importing to the USA you could well be charged
    >> for the inspection. HS will randomly flag containers for inspection
    >> prior to customs clearing. The container is trucked to a certified
    >> inspection center, which might or might not be a specific shipping
    >> company facility. The load is broken down and inspected, repacked and
    >> then cleared through customs.
    >> The inspection cost is charged to the shipping company and passed on to
    >> the recipients.
    >>

    >True. Friend of mine got nailed for $400.00 for that.

    Does this imply that, for a given purchase, the buyer does not
    what their cost will be until the item actually arrives?

    Or do the inspection fees get spread over all packages by most
    (obviously not all...) shippers?

    The first case would seem tb a major brake on commerce.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Oct 26, 2011
  4. Per Savageduck:
    > More costs of 9/11.
    >
    >Goods shipped from countries such as Italy, or South Korea for example,
    >if correctly documented, are not subject to these inspections.
    >
    >Homeland Security has generated a whole new employment opportunity by
    >creating the Import Safety Commercial Targeting & Analysis Center
    >(CTAC).
    >In short, I would make sure that you don't get too many imports
    >entering the USA by road via Laredo, El Paso, or San Ysidro.

    So we're protected from terrorists that don't know about the
    Italy/South Korea policy.....

    Must be the same mentality that is spending big bucks on a chain
    link fence on the sides of the road near a New Jersey (Ocean
    City...) bridge over the bay - to protect the bridge from
    terrorists that can't find bolt cutters, don't know about
    wrapping one end of a chain around a fence post and the other end
    around the trailer hitch of a pickup truck, or don't know about
    boats.

    Either that or somebody's got a brother in the fence business....

    Come to think of it, my money's on #2....

    Geeze, I *really* hope this particular pendulum is at least
    approaching the end of it's arc....
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Oct 28, 2011