    Does this mean DEP only works for 32bit executable files or that MS thinks
    that 64 bit executables will never try to do anything wrong?

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Feb 5, 2008

  2. Peter Lawton

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Peter,

    "System DEP configuration settings apply only for 32-bit applications and
    processes when running on 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows. On 64-bit
    versions of Windows, if hardware-enforced DEP is available it is always
    applied to 64-bit processes and kernel memory spaces and there are no system
    configuration settings to disable it."

    From:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...4101-44c3-a294-4da1bd1ef2271033.mspx?mfr=true

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, Feb 5, 2008

  3. The opposite. It means you can't turn it off for 64-bit processes. MS is
    being very strict with all things 64-bit. Requiring DEP, requiring signed
    drivers, etc.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2008
  4. Peter Lawton

    Carlos Guest

    Also no timer-stop cracks, no fake bios modding, etc.
    :)))))
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 5, 2008
  5. Yup. And you know, I think that's all the _right_ thing.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2008
  6. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Also no timer-stop cracks, no fake bios modding, etc.
    > :)))))
    > Carlos

    Nobody buying it .......

    Rush Windows 7 out to save our profits .......

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Feb 8, 2008