    perfume.

    Any ideas how to deodorize this computer so that it doesn't reek?

    Many thanks for your sugestions,

    Eddy Long, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Eddy Long

    Thor Guest

    "Eddy Long" <eddy@NO_att_SPAM.net> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Not a troll.
    >
    > Really.
    >
    > We just received a used computer.
    >
    > A five year old Dell with PIII @ 500mhz and a Win 98 SE operating system.
    >
    > The machine - tower and montior - has a stale tobacco odor with some
    > perfume.
    >
    > Any ideas how to deodorize this computer so that it doesn't reek?
    >
    > Many thanks for your sugestions,

    You'd pretty much need to disassemble the whole machine, down to a bare
    case, and wash the case inside and out with some detergent. Then clean the
    fans. As for the electronic items, you can get circuit board cleaner from an
    electronics supply store. Those are sprays that can be safely used on the
    motherboard and cards to wash away any smoke residue, and they will rapidly
    evaporate. Give it a day or two to make sure it is completely dried out
    after using that stuff. You may need a couple of large cans of the stuff,
    and do it in a WELL ventillated area because of the strong fumes. Do this
    for the power supply as well, because that thing accumulates most of the
    smoke smell. The CD drives are a bit tough, and I'd leave them alone and see
    if cleaning the rest of the machine up helps considerably. If anything,
    start with the power supply, because that will be the main stinker, and make
    sure all the dust is blown out of the the case as well.

    Thor, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Eddy Long

    John Holmes Guest

    Eddy Long came up with this:

    > Not a troll.
    >
    > Really.
    >
    > We just received a used computer.
    >
    > A five year old Dell with PIII @ 500mhz and a Win 98 SE operating
    > system.
    >
    > The machine - tower and montior - has a stale tobacco odor with some
    > perfume.
    >
    > Any ideas how to deodorize this computer so that it doesn't reek?
    >
    > Many thanks for your sugestions,

    Where does the smell come from? Computer or monitor? If it's the monitor
    you're shit out of luck, cleaning all those sensitive, electronical parts
    inside is not what I would suggest..... If it comes from the computer,
    follow Thor's suggestions, allthough it is not likely that the smell is
    in the PC, which is a tower as you mentioned. Towers are (normally)
    placed on the floor below the desk, leaving you with a stinky foot
    instead of tobacco and perfume smell.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Eddy Long

    ady Guest

    > Not a troll.
    >
    > Really.
    >
    > We just received a used computer.
    >
    > A five year old Dell with PIII @ 500mhz and a Win 98 SE operating system.
    >
    > The machine - tower and montior - has a stale tobacco odor with some
    > perfume.
    >
    > Any ideas how to deodorize this computer so that it doesn't reek?
    >
    > Many thanks for your sugestions,

    Try this
    http://www.westons.com/acatalog/info_CLI54H.html

    ady, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Eddy Long

    Eddy Long Guest

    ady <> wrote in message:

    > Try this
    > http://www.westons.com/acatalog/info_CLI54H.html

    -----------------

    Ady, I don't smoke.

    The people that gave me the computer smoke.

    Should I smear the paste all over the tower and keyboard until hard and then
    scrape it off.

    It looks like a real good product that you've posted.

    Thanks again.
    E.

    Eddy Long, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Eddy Long

    Thagor Guest

    > ady <> wrote in message:
    >

    >> Try this
    >> http://www.westons.com/acatalog/info_CLI54H.html

    > -----------------
    >
    > Ady, I don't smoke.
    >
    > The people that gave me the computer smoke.
    >
    > Should I smear the paste all over the tower and keyboard until hard
    > and then scrape it off.
    >
    > It looks like a real good product that you've posted.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > E.

    What kind of smoke? Weed maybe? It could be worth big money!Better have a
    look inside...

    Thagor, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Eddy Long

    James Hilton Guest

    > Not a troll.
    >
    > Really.
    >
    > We just received a used computer.
    >
    > A five year old Dell with PIII @ 500mhz and a Win 98 SE operating system.
    >
    > The machine - tower and montior - has a stale tobacco odor with some
    > perfume.
    >
    > Any ideas how to deodorize this computer so that it doesn't reek?
    >
    > Many thanks for your sugestions,

    If it was mine I would wash the outside of the case with soap and water,
    vacumn and blow the dust out of and off of the power supply and all
    accessable parts inside, and spray a LITTLE bit of Airwick Nutrair inside
    while it was turned off.

    James Hilton, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Thagor wrote:

    > "Eddy Long" <eddy@NO_att_SPAM.net> wrote in
    >

    >>ady <> wrote in message:
    >>

    >>>Try this
    >>>http://www.westons.com/acatalog/info_CLI54H.html

    >>-----------------
    >>
    >>Ady, I don't smoke.
    >>
    >>The people that gave me the computer smoke.
    >>
    >>Should I smear the paste all over the tower and keyboard until hard
    >>and then scrape it off.
    >>
    >>It looks like a real good product that you've posted.
    >>
    >>Thanks again.
    >>E.
    >>

    > What kind of smoke? Weed maybe? It could be worth big money!Better have a
    > look inside...

    yeah, scrape the brown gunk off the sides, compress it, cut it up, and
    sell it as hash :D

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Nov 19, 2004