    Thank you,
    Hugo

    , Jul 9, 2008

  2. ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:26:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    > I am dentist and I need to record some of my work with photos.
    >
    > In the beginning I was thinking in buying the following pack:
    >
    > Camera: Nikon D 40x
    > Objectif: Sigma DG Macro 105
    > Flash: Sigma EM-140 DG
    >
    > I believe that the Nikon D40x is no longer available in the market.
    >
    > Should I go for the Nikon 40 or Nikon 60 (the replacement of the
    > 40X).
    > Is it really worth to buy the Nikon 60 (are the advantages just the
    > number of megapixels?) .

    Any DSLR still in production should have more than enough
    resolution for your purposes. But realize that the D40, D40x and
    D60 lack the AF motors found in other Nikon DSLR bodies. So if you
    don't want to be limited to manually focusing, make sure that the
    lens has an ultrasonic (SWM,USM, etc.) motor and doesn't utilize a
    mechanical screw drive. All of Nikon's other DSLRs include focusing
    motors so they will AF with both types of lenses. The D80 is
    available these days for much less than its original price. A
    review of the Sigma 105 DG noted that its focusing was a bit noisy
    and slow, so you'll probably have to focus it manually if it's
    mounted on a D40 or D60. This may not be a drawback, as it's often
    done this way with close-up macro shots.

    I guess that you may be aware of Nikon's equivalent flash
    solution, the R1, R1C1, SU-800 and SB-R200 wireless remote
    speedlights that are also compatible with Nikon's excellent CLS
    (Creative Lighting System). Multiple SB-R200s can be attached to,
    and mounted around the front of the lens, used handheld or mounted
    on an included speedlight stand. It's probably considerably more
    expensive than Sigma's solution, but also considerably more
    flexible. If you're not familiar with them, you can download
    Nikon's PDF version of their manual from

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...PTE4NyZwX3B2PTEuODEmcF9jdj0xLjE4NyZwX3NlYXJja

    ASAAR, Jul 9, 2008

  3. tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:42:54 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:26:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >
    >> I am dentist and I need to record some of my work with photos.
    >>
    >> In the beginning I was thinking in buying the following pack:
    >>
    >> Camera: Nikon D 40x
    >> Objectif: Sigma DG Macro 105
    >> Flash: Sigma EM-140 DG
    >>
    >> I believe that the Nikon D40x is no longer available in the market.
    >>
    >> Should I go for the Nikon 40 or Nikon 60 (the replacement of the
    >> 40X).
    >> Is it really worth to buy the Nikon 60 (are the advantages just the
    >> number of megapixels?) .

    The Nikon D40 does not have a "live view" LCD. I would think that
    having to peer through the viewfinder would make dental photography
    more difficult.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 9, 2008
  4. ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:45:42 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

    > The Nikon D40 does not have a "live view" LCD. I would think that
    > having to peer through the viewfinder would make dental photography
    > more difficult.

    I've done some close macro shooting with a D50 and didn't give
    using the viewfinder a second thought. As Live View is a recent
    development, have dentists been needing and impatiently waiting for
    Live View for many years? Keeping the patient's head immobile would
    seem to be the most important requirement, but if anyone is equipped
    to do that, it's dentists. :)

    ASAAR, Jul 9, 2008
  5. tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:46:59 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:45:42 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> The Nikon D40 does not have a "live view" LCD. I would think that
    >> having to peer through the viewfinder would make dental photography
    >> more difficult.

    > I've done some close macro shooting with a D50 and didn't give
    >using the viewfinder a second thought. As Live View is a recent
    >development, have dentists been needing and impatiently waiting for
    >Live View for many years? Keeping the patient's head immobile would
    >seem to be the most important requirement, but if anyone is equipped
    >to do that, it's dentists. :)

    Yes, "live view" is a recent development and dentists have been
    shooting without it for quite some time. However, "live view" could
    be considered a desirable feature for a dentist, and it seems
    appropriate to bring it up. It may affect his choice of cameras.

    I doubt if dentists have been needing and impatiently waiting for
    digital cameras for many years. If anyone is equipped to afford the
    cost of film, developing,and printing, it's dentists.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 9, 2008
  6. Bob AZ Guest

    > I am dentist and I need to record some of my work with photos.

    > Any suggestion or recommendation would be welcome.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Hugo

    Call the Canon or Nikon rep. Or better yet get on their sites and let
    them make recommendations.

    I have a Canon 5D and I would simply look for a great closeup capable
    lens with Auto Focus as an added feature. Put the camera on a holder/
    tripod and use a small monitor as the viewfinder.

    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Jul 10, 2008
  7. tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:52:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ <>
    wrote:

    >> I am dentist and I need to record some of my work with photos.

    >> Any suggestion or recommendation would be welcome.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Hugo

    >Call the Canon or Nikon rep. Or better yet get on their sites and let
    >them make recommendations.
    >
    >I have a Canon 5D and I would simply look for a great closeup capable
    >lens with Auto Focus as an added feature. Put the camera on a holder/
    >tripod and use a small monitor as the viewfinder.

    I really hate going to the dentist. First of all, they hurt me.
    Secondly, they say stupid things like "This will pinch a little" just
    before they stick sharp objects in my flesh. Thirdly, they tell me to
    stop moving away even though they know that it's a normal reaction to
    jerk back when something causes pain.

    Now you want me to put up with a tripod on my lower body?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 10, 2008
  8. tony cooper wrote:

    > On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:52:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>> I am dentist and I need to record some of my work with photos.

    >>> Any suggestion or recommendation would be welcome.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>> Hugo

    >>Call the Canon or Nikon rep. Or better yet get on their sites and let
    >>them make recommendations.
    >>
    >>I have a Canon 5D and I would simply look for a great closeup capable
    >>lens with Auto Focus as an added feature. Put the camera on a holder/
    >>tripod and use a small monitor as the viewfinder.
    >>

    > I really hate going to the dentist. First of all, they hurt me.
    > Secondly, they say stupid things like "This will pinch a little" just
    > before they stick sharp objects in my flesh. Thirdly, they tell me to
    > stop moving away even though they know that it's a normal reaction to
    > jerk back when something causes pain.
    >
    > Now you want me to put up with a tripod on my lower body?

    Your lower body should *be* a tripod, Tony.

    Uneven, I would hope.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 10, 2008
  9. tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:18:36 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:

    >>>Call the Canon or Nikon rep. Or better yet get on their sites and let
    >>>them make recommendations.
    >>>
    >>>I have a Canon 5D and I would simply look for a great closeup capable
    >>>lens with Auto Focus as an added feature. Put the camera on a holder/
    >>>tripod and use a small monitor as the viewfinder.
    >>>

    >> I really hate going to the dentist. First of all, they hurt me.
    >> Secondly, they say stupid things like "This will pinch a little" just
    >> before they stick sharp objects in my flesh. Thirdly, they tell me to
    >> stop moving away even though they know that it's a normal reaction to
    >> jerk back when something causes pain.
    >>
    >> Now you want me to put up with a tripod on my lower body?

    >Your lower body should *be* a tripod, Tony.
    >
    >Uneven, I would hope.

    Yeah, but no ballhead attachments allowed.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 10, 2008
  10. tony cooper wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:18:36 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>tony cooper wrote:

    >>> I really hate going to the dentist. First of all, they hurt me.
    >>> Secondly, they say stupid things like "This will pinch a little" just
    >>> before they stick sharp objects in my flesh. Thirdly, they tell me to
    >>> stop moving away even though they know that it's a normal reaction to
    >>> jerk back when something causes pain.
    >>>
    >>> Now you want me to put up with a tripod on my lower body?

    >>Your lower body should *be* a tripod, Tony.
    >>
    >>Uneven, I would hope.

    > Yeah, but no ballhead attachments allowed.

    I shan't be the one to pan that rule.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 10, 2008
  11. tomm42 Guest

    On Jul 9, 2:26 pm, wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am dentist and I need to record some of my work with photos.
    >
    > In the beginning I was thinking in buying the following pack:
    >
    > Camera: Nikon D 40x
    > Objectif: Sigma DG Macro 105
    > Flash: Sigma EM-140 DG
    >
    > I believe that the Nikon D40x is no longer available in the market.
    >
    > Should I go for the Nikon 40 or Nikon 60 (the replacement of the
    > 40X).
    > Is it really worth to buy the Nikon 60 (are the advantages just the
    > number of megapixels?) .
    >
    > Any suggestion or recommendation would be welcome.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Hugo

    As a medical photographer I would recommend at least a Nikon D80 with
    a 90-105 lens and the Nikon R1 flash system. Aleast a D80 becuse you
    want a prism viewfinder, not a mirror based like the D40, or D60. BIG
    difference especially if you are photographing teeth, as the mouth
    tends to be dark. The Sigma 105 macro is a good lens, the R1 flash
    system is wireless activated by your on camera flash with an infrared
    filter on it. At close working conditions the 123 lthium batteries in
    this flash last a long time. The Nikon Flash Commander system is the
    best flash system yet devised.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jul 10, 2008