Denon AVR 5803 Setup Question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Joseph Atsmon, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. I have the following components:
    1) A Pioneer plasma display with various video inputs (Component,
    S-Video, RGB,...).
    2) A DBS receiver with 2 outputs TV & VCR. I can cofigure either
    both to S-Video or one to Components and one to Composite.
    3) A VCR with S-Video and Composite In & Out.
    4) Denon DVD 2600 with Component output.
    5) Denon AVR 5803 (recent buy).

    If I configure DBS TV out (to plasma) to Component I can only record
    video with composite connection to the VCR (due to DBS receiver
    limitation). If I configure both DBS outputs to S-Video then
    recordings are fine but TV picture is of a lesser quality.

    I wonder if someone can tell me if I can work around the issue with
    the newly acquired 5803.

    I am looking for an option to connect DBS TV out with Component cable
    to the 5803 and further to thr display and hope there is a way to use
    the 5803 to convert it to S-Video and hook it to the VCR. I need a
    solution that work also while I view DVD and want to record a DBS
    program.

    Thanks,
    Joe

    Joseph Atsmon, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Joseph Atsmon

    Biz Guest

    "Joseph Atsmon" <> wrote in message
    > I have the following components:
    > 1) A Pioneer plasma display with various video inputs (Component,
    > S-Video, RGB,...).
    > 2) A DBS receiver with 2 outputs TV & VCR. I can cofigure either
    > both to S-Video or one to Components and one to Composite.
    > 3) A VCR with S-Video and Composite In & Out.
    > 4) Denon DVD 2600 with Component output.
    > 5) Denon AVR 5803 (recent buy).
    >
    > If I configure DBS TV out (to plasma) to Component I can only record
    > video with composite connection to the VCR (due to DBS receiver
    > limitation). If I configure both DBS outputs to S-Video then
    > recordings are fine but TV picture is of a lesser quality.

    > I wonder if someone can tell me if I can work around the issue with
    > the newly acquired 5803.
    >
    > I am looking for an option to connect DBS TV out with Component cable
    > to the 5803 and further to thr display and hope there is a way to use
    > the 5803 to convert it to S-Video and hook it to the VCR. I need a
    > solution that work also while I view DVD and want to record a DBS
    > program.

    Since the 5803 does video conversion across inputs, supports record
    selector, and has plenty of inputs, it should be simple.

    component out from DBS to 5803 (presumably a DBS/DSS labelled input)

    component out using monitor output from 5803 to plasma
    As long as the receiver is on, you'll be able to watch or record dbs
    broadcasts

    S-video and analog audio in and out from 5803 (vcr1 input) to SVHS VCR. Set
    vcr to channel 0 or AUX input or rear aux inputs etc...whatever it requires
    to be able to record the jacks you are connected to.

    DVD player to component inputs/and digital audio input assigned to same
    input

    I do this exact same thing with s-video/composite(instead of
    component/s-video), since I don't have a component capable tv or SVHS VCR,
    but it works the exact same way.

    While taping, record selector should be set for DBS(or whatever input you
    used), it will queetly record in the background, while you are watching and
    listening to a DVD

    Biz

    Biz, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Thanks, Biz.