Denon 1910 vs. 2910

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by MarkG, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. MarkG

    MarkG Guest

    I bought the 1910, and then returned it for the 2910. This gave me
    the chance to do a comparison on the same system at the same volumes
    with the two DVD players.

    I noticed no difference in the picture. In fairness, my HDTV won't be
    delivered until tomorrow so I have no comment on how the progressive
    scan might vary.

    I did, however, notice a huge difference in the sound. It was not
    subtle at all. My 10 year old could tell the difference immediately,
    put it that way. The 1910 had very good highs and mid tones, but was
    weak on the bass. The 2910 had good bass, mids and highs. Again, I
    was comparing using a Denon 3805 receiver on the same volume setting.

    I compared the battle scenes in Lord of the Rings. Huge difference.
    I compared the battle scenes in Gladiator. Same difference. I also
    compared the stomping foot in Jurassic Park. With the 1910 you didn't
    get that "thump" feel. With the 2910 you got a solid, but not
    overdone thump.

    Overall the sound seemed louder, even though the receiver was at the
    exact same volume level.

    Based upon sound alone, the 2910 is clearly superior and worth the
    extra money.

    By the way, I am an old time alt.video.dvd guy. I haven't been on
    this board in years. I see that it is still filled with jerks. I
    guess some things never change. This review is for real people with
    DVD questions, not for the flamers.

    MarkG, Oct 30, 2004

  2. MarkG

    Beaumon Guest

    (MarkG) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I bought the 1910, and then returned it for the 2910. This gave me
    > the chance to do a comparison on the same system at the same volumes
    > with the two DVD players.
    >
    > I noticed no difference in the picture. In fairness, my HDTV won't be
    > delivered until tomorrow so I have no comment on how the progressive
    > scan might vary.
    >
    > I did, however, notice a huge difference in the sound. It was not
    > subtle at all. My 10 year old could tell the difference immediately,
    > put it that way. The 1910 had very good highs and mid tones, but was
    > weak on the bass. The 2910 had good bass, mids and highs. Again, I
    > was comparing using a Denon 3805 receiver on the same volume setting.
    >
    > I compared the battle scenes in Lord of the Rings. Huge difference.
    > I compared the battle scenes in Gladiator. Same difference. I also
    > compared the stomping foot in Jurassic Park. With the 1910 you didn't
    > get that "thump" feel. With the 2910 you got a solid, but not
    > overdone thump.
    >
    > Overall the sound seemed louder, even though the receiver was at the
    > exact same volume level.
    >
    > Based upon sound alone, the 2910 is clearly superior and worth the
    > extra money.
    >
    > By the way, I am an old time alt.video.dvd guy. I haven't been on
    > this board in years. I see that it is still filled with jerks. I
    > guess some things never change. This review is for real people with
    > DVD questions, not for the flamers.

    Enjoy the new Denon. If it's anything like my experience with the
    2900, you'll love it. The single most satisfying electronics purchase
    I've ever made. Hell, one of the few times in my life I can look at
    something everyday and say it was worth every penny I paid.

    -beaumon

    Beaumon, Oct 31, 2004

  3. MarkG

    Fleabus Guest

    On 30 Oct 2004 23:44:41 -0700, (Beaumon)
    wrote:

    > (MarkG) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I bought the 1910, and then returned it for the 2910. This gave me
    >> the chance to do a comparison on the same system at the same volumes
    >> with the two DVD players.
    >>
    >> I noticed no difference in the picture. In fairness, my HDTV won't be
    >> delivered until tomorrow so I have no comment on how the progressive
    >> scan might vary.
    >>
    >> I did, however, notice a huge difference in the sound. It was not
    >> subtle at all. My 10 year old could tell the difference immediately,
    >> put it that way. The 1910 had very good highs and mid tones, but was
    >> weak on the bass. The 2910 had good bass, mids and highs. Again, I
    >> was comparing using a Denon 3805 receiver on the same volume setting.
    >>
    >> I compared the battle scenes in Lord of the Rings. Huge difference.
    >> I compared the battle scenes in Gladiator. Same difference. I also
    >> compared the stomping foot in Jurassic Park. With the 1910 you didn't
    >> get that "thump" feel. With the 2910 you got a solid, but not
    >> overdone thump.
    >>
    >> Overall the sound seemed louder, even though the receiver was at the
    >> exact same volume level.
    >>
    >> Based upon sound alone, the 2910 is clearly superior and worth the
    >> extra money.
    >>
    >> By the way, I am an old time alt.video.dvd guy. I haven't been on
    >> this board in years. I see that it is still filled with jerks. I
    >> guess some things never change. This review is for real people with
    >> DVD questions, not for the flamers.

    >Enjoy the new Denon. If it's anything like my experience with the
    >2900, you'll love it. The single most satisfying electronics purchase
    >I've ever made. Hell, one of the few times in my life I can look at
    >something everyday and say it was worth every penny I paid.
    >
    >-beaumon

    Hi:
    I've become a Denon convert myself. Though I bought my stuff a few
    years back, I remain very pleased with it.

    Denon DVD-2800 progressive scan DVD Player
    Denon AVR-3802 7x110W DD/DTS ES/ DPL II
    Sony 36" Wega XBR KV-36XBR400 NTSC 1080i/480p/480i
    etc

    Happy trails,

    Fleabus, Nov 3, 2004