    Thanks again,

    Jack
    Arizona
    Jack, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Jack

    Boomer Guest

    Jack said:

    > Thanks for your valuable help. I tried to contact you via e-mail,
    > but it failed. Could you please guide me on the links to check for
    > the "Files and Folders" as you suggested to me in your response of
    > yesterday (ref. cells in my Word, "Document 1"?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Jack
    > Arizona

    Hi

    I'm not DennisC but hope I can help a little.

    This is your original post from yesterday:
    Subject: Re: Word 2000
    http://tinyurl.com/ksir

    In the future please reply in the original thread rather than starting
    a new one. You should get help faster that way. :)

    I'm not sure what you mean by links to check.

    Have you found the path where normal.dot is on your C drive? when at
    your "Find Files and Folders" (make sure you are searching in My
    Computer) type in normal.dot and then hit the search button.
    That should show you were the file is at.

    Mine is:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates

    As DennisC said, "When you find it, rename it to normal.old.
    Start Microsoft Word and you should have a new default template."

    When you find it, highlight it and then right click and rename.

    Does this help?
    Boomer, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Jack

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello Jack,
    It depends on the operating system and the version of Office. I am on
    Windows 2000 with Office2000 Professional SP1
    I found my normal.dot template in C:\Documents and
    Settings\Dennis\Application Data\Documents\Templates

    This is an old trick. Word uses a default template when it first starts to
    give you a blank screen in which to compose
    a new document. The template is called normal.dot. By renaming it to
    normal.old and then starting MS Word,
    as it starts it rebuilds the template "on the fly" so when the program hits
    the screen you have a normal default template.
    This cures all kinds of maladies, such as Word hangs and fails to start. Or
    Word just plain refuses to start. There is no
    need to go back in and delete normal.old. Just let it sit there.

    In summary. If your having a major problem with MS Word, try this trick. As
    said before, all you need do is search
    of "files and folders; for the normal.dot template where ever it resides and
    then rename it.

    I hope that is what you were looking for.

    Boomer found his in an entirely different place. Who cares as long as we
    find it!

    One more thing. Rather than start a new thread (conversation), stick with
    the original. This way anyone
    who happens to recommend additional information will see a history of what
    has been done and recommended
    in the past.
    DennisC

    P.S. You are most welcome and thanks to Boomer also.

    Computer Guy, Aug 22, 2003