Dennis the WDANZ.ORG.NZ spammer is at it again

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. In article <1159315256.997050@ftpsrv1>, "Vista" <> wrote:
    >Just received another spam from this comapny from , this
    >time advertising his Inaugural WDANZ Conference invite
    >
    >This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they used
    >Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop sending these
    >emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them to me. They have
    >harvested my email address from my website.

    ... and have you complained to them and their ISP ... ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 27, 2006

  2. In article <1159317315.58602@ftpsrv1>, "Vista" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:efcg21$3t9$...
    >> In article <1159315256.997050@ftpsrv1>, "Vista" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>Just received another spam from this comapny from ,
    >>>this
    >>>time advertising his Inaugural WDANZ Conference invite
    >>>
    >>>This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they used
    >>>Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop sending these
    >>>emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them to me. They have
    >>>harvested my email address from my website.

    >> .. and have you complained to them and their ISP ... ?

    >See reply to Craig below as am not sure on the ISP. Also the rule I follow,
    >is I don't reply to spammers email addresses, as it confirms to them that
    >the email address is valid, and they may sign my address up to other spam.

    Agreed ... but complaining to a local ISP on the other hand should be a
    given. Best of luck with stamping on these fellows. Now, if we can only get
    the LTSA and land info people to stop selling lists to spammers ... :)

    Vista, Sep 27, 2006
  4. "Vista" <> wrote in message
    > Just received another spam from this comapny from ,
    > this time advertising his Inaugural WDANZ Conference invite
    >
    > This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they used
    > Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop sending these
    > emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them to me. They have
    > harvested my email address from my website.

    I would email Clear with a full copy including headers to
    and let them
    know about the email harvesting/spam email.

    Can you forward me a copy also to for the
    www.spam.co.nz website

    Thanks
    Craig
    http://www.spam.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 27, 2006
  5. >
    > This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they used
    > Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop sending these
    > emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them to me. They have
    > harvested my email address from my website.

    Actually the emails are coming from callplus (203.184.19.88 is Callplus, not
    Clear)
    I think should be the correct email address. Wdanz
    also sent
    out Fax Versions of these Advertisements that I've seen last week

    See Sample Header Below of "Spam"
    Please also note these where sent via Brendan Battle's (Wdanz employee)
    Spam
    Engine as his emails are easily identified via certain headers which hes
    used for
    many years including the Infamous Wired Country Spams.

    Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:34:56 -0-1200 (broken timezone)

    --------------------------------------
    Subject: Inaugural WDANZ Conference invitation
    To: xxx@xxx
    Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:34:56 -0-1200

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    http://www.spam.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 27, 2006
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Vista Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >> Just received another spam from this comapny from ,
    >> this time advertising his Inaugural WDANZ Conference invite
    >>
    >> This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they
    >> used Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop sending
    >> these emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them to me. They
    >> have harvested my email address from my website.
    >>

    > I would email Clear with a full copy including headers to
    > and let them
    > know about the email harvesting/spam email.
    >
    > Can you forward me a copy also to for the
    > www.spam.co.nz website
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig
    > http://www.spam.co.nz

    I am not sure if 203.184.19.88 is actually Clear/Telstra, as Visualroute
    shows that that IP number goes to Callplus. I have emailed Telstra with a
    spam compliant before but they don't follow it up. If I was a spammer,
    Telstra would be the ISP I would use.

    Vista, Sep 27, 2006
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Vista Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:efcg21$3t9$...

    Vista, Sep 27, 2006
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    >> This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they
    >> used Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop sending
    >> these emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them to me. They
    >> have harvested my email address from my website.

    > Actually the emails are coming from callplus (203.184.19.88 is Callplus,
    > not Clear)
    > I think should be the correct email address. Wdanz
    > also sent
    > out Fax Versions of these Advertisements that I've seen last week
    >
    > See Sample Header Below of "Spam"
    > Please also note these where sent via Brendan Battle's (Wdanz employee)
    > Spam
    > Engine as his emails are easily identified via certain headers which hes
    > used for
    > many years including the Infamous Wired Country Spams.

    > Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:34:56 -0-1200 (broken timezone)
    >
    > --------------------------------------
    > Subject: Inaugural WDANZ Conference invitation
    > To: xxx@xxx
    > Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:34:56 -0-1200
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore
    > http://www.spam.co.nz

    Thanks I will email it through to them.

    Vista, Sep 27, 2006
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    thingy Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >> "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just received another spam from this comapny from ,
    >>> this time advertising his Inaugural WDANZ Conference invite
    >>>
    >>> This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they
    >>> used Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop sending
    >>> these emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them to me. They
    >>> have harvested my email address from my website.
    >>>

    >> I would email Clear with a full copy including headers to
    >> and let them
    >> know about the email harvesting/spam email.
    >>
    >> Can you forward me a copy also to for the
    >> www.spam.co.nz website
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Craig
    >> http://www.spam.co.nz
    >>

    > I am not sure if 203.184.19.88 is actually Clear/Telstra, as Visualroute
    > shows that that IP number goes to Callplus. I have emailed Telstra with a
    > spam compliant before but they don't follow it up. If I was a spammer,
    > Telstra would be the ISP I would use.

    [IPv4 whois information for 203.184.19.88 ]
    [whois.apnic.net]
    % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
    % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

    inetnum: 203.184.0.0 - 203.184.63.255
    netname: CALLPLUS-NZ
    descr: CallPlus Services Limited
    descr: NZ Networks
    country: NZ
    admin-c: CNO2-AP
    tech-c: CNO2-AP
    status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE
    mnt-by: APNIC-HM
    mnt-lower: MAINT-AP-CALLPLUS
    remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    remarks: This object can only be updated by APNIC hostmasters.
    remarks: To update this object, please contact APNIC
    remarks: hostmasters and include your organisation's account
    remarks: name in the subject line.
    remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    changed: 20040602
    source: APNIC

    role: CallPlus Network Operations
    address: CallPlus Services Ltd
    8><----
    source: APNIC

    thingy, Sep 27, 2006
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    Enkidu Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > Just received another spam from this comapny from
    > , this time advertising his Inaugural WDANZ Conference invite
    >
    > This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they
    > used Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop
    > sending these emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them
    > to me. They have harvested my email address from my website.

    Then don't put your email address on your website!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 27, 2006
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    Vista Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    >> Just received another spam from this comapny from
    >> , this time advertising his Inaugural WDANZ Conference invite
    >>
    >> This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time they
    >> used Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would stop
    >> sending these emails, as I haven't given them permission to send them
    >> to me. They have harvested my email address from my website.
    >>

    > Then don't put your email address on your website!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Why should I have to do that. My email address is set as an image so spammer
    can't automatically harvest it, but it doesn't stop peoplesuch as Dennis and
    Brendan Battlles adding it manually. If I use your logic, I would have to
    remove all contact information, so noone can contact me, and I never receive
    any communication.

    Vista, Sep 28, 2006
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Enkidu Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Vista wrote:
    >>> Just received another spam from this comapny from
    >>> , this time advertising his Inaugural WDANZ
    >>> Conference invite
    >>>
    >>> This time it was sent from Clear:RC:0(203.184.19.88) . Last time
    >>> they used Orcon to send the spam from. I wish this company would
    >>> stop sending these emails, as I haven't given them permission to
    >>> send them to me. They have harvested my email address from my
    >>> website.
    >>>

    >> Then don't put your email address on your website!

    > Why should I have to do that. My email address is set as an image so
    > spammer can't automatically harvest it, but it doesn't stop
    > peoplesuch as Dennis and Brendan Battlles adding it manually. If I
    > use your logic, I would have to remove all contact information, so
    > noone can contact me, and I never receive any communication.

    Write a page and provide a link for people to contact you. There are
    plenty of scripts that will take the information from a form and email
    it to you without letting out your email address. That's the safest way.
    An image is pretty good, because, as you would know, spammers can't
    harvest it automatically. However it does mean that your correspondents
    have to type it in manually.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Cheers,