Denied! Computer RAM does not DO Dual Channel MODE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Teknowbabble, Mar 9, 2007.

  1. Teknowbabble

    Teknowbabble Guest

    I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
    into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
    Mode."

    OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.

    I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
    the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
    and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
    "SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."

    ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

    Now I want to take hostages!

    Here's my setup:
    - Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 478)

    - P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB

    - RAM (512 MB x 2)

    1rst stick --> Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
    (32MB x 8)/(32 x 8) 16 SDRAM Chips

    2nd Stick --> Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
    (64MB x 8) 8 SDRAM Chips

    ** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard

    - Windows XP Pro with SP2

    Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.

    Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
    Throughput Highest to Lowest
    Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> All DIMMs matched

    Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs matched from Channel A to
    Channel B

    Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched within
    channels

    Single Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
    within a channel

    Single Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched

    Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
    because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
    the same basic model or at least I thought.

    Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
    dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
    is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
    shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
    selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
    pair" outright.

    Any ideas?

    Teknowbabble
    Teknowbabble, Mar 9, 2007

  2. Teknowbabble

    Flyer Guest

    "Teknowbabble" <> wrote in message
    >I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
    > into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
    > Mode."
    >
    > OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.
    >

    > Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
    > dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
    > is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
    > shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
    > selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
    > pair" outright.

    I was under the impression, borne out by personal experience, that dual
    channel working usually requires two matched memory chips. Most of the big
    memory mfrs sell matched pairs, for dual channel working.
    I use Corsair's TwinX brand..

    P.
    Flyer, Mar 9, 2007

  3. Teknowbabble

    Mike T. Guest

    > I was under the impression, borne out by personal experience, that dual
    > channel working usually requires two matched memory chips. Most of the big
    > memory mfrs sell matched pairs, for dual channel working.
    > I use Corsair's TwinX brand..
    >
    > P.

    No, and it's dangerous to spread that rumor. Dual channel requires two RAM
    boards with similar specifications, but not necessarily the same model, or
    even the same brand.

    HOWEVER, that didn't stop unscrupulous memory manufacturers from trying to
    profit underhandedly from the dual channel feature.

    What I've seen quite often is, brand X will package two of memory stick Y
    and set price Z >(cost of 2Y), using "dual channel kit" as a flimsy excuse
    for price gouging.

    That is, 1GB (one stick) is $100 (for example)
    Dual channel kit of 2 X 1GB is $230 (for example)
    If you buy the (one) dual channel kit you get EXACTLY what you'd get if you
    bought (two) of the 1GB sticks. So as you can see, the math doesn't
    compute.

    There is nothing special about RAM that is used in dual channel mode. It is
    RAM. The chipset uses two RAM sticks as one really wide stick, to slightly
    increase bandwidth/memory performance. The RAM is identical, whether you
    install one stick or two, and whether you purchase single sticks or a dual
    channel "kit". But if you bought the dual channel kit, you might possibly
    have paid too much. -Dave
    Mike T., Mar 9, 2007
  4. Teknowbabble

    Paul Guest

    Teknowbabble wrote:
    > I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
    > into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
    > Mode."
    >
    > OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.
    >
    > I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
    > the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
    > and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
    > "SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."
    >
    > ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
    >
    > Now I want to take hostages!

    > Here's my setup:
    > - Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 478)
    >
    > - P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB
    >
    > - RAM (512 MB x 2)
    >
    > 1rst stick --> Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
    > (32MB x 8)/(32 x 8) 16 SDRAM Chips
    >
    > 2nd Stick --> Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
    > (64MB x 8) 8 SDRAM Chips
    >
    > ** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard
    >
    > - Windows XP Pro with SP2
    >
    > Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.

    > Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
    > Throughput Highest to Lowest
    > Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> All DIMMs matched
    >
    > Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs matched from Channel A to
    > Channel B
    >
    > Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched within
    > channels
    >
    > Single Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
    > within a channel
    >
    > Single Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched
    >
    > Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
    > because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
    > the same basic model or at least I thought.
    >
    > Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
    > dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
    > is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
    > shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
    > selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
    > pair" outright.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > Teknowbabble

    The evidence they are not matched, is right there in the "16FG"
    and the "8TDY" of the part numbers. The first DIMM has 16 chips
    and the second DIMM has 8 chips. The first DIMM is made with
    32Mx8 chips and the second DIMM is made with 64Mx8 chips. It looks
    like the pricing at the component level, must now favor using the
    larger memory chips (because I saw mention of an 8 chip Crucial
    512MB stick a couple days ago).

    A while back, there were a couple 512MB single sided DIMMs, but
    they seemed to disappear (probably because they cost more and
    weren't competitive). Up to this point, 512MB sticks were more
    or less uniformly 16 chip designs, with 32Mx8 chips. But now that
    Crucial is shipping that kind of stuff, we'll have to warn people
    of the possibility of the mixing of the two kinds of stock. I
    hope this doesn't become a popular trend with the manufacturers.
    (Not that I think an 8 chip DIMM is bad - it should be better
    for overclocking :) )

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 9, 2007
  5. Teknowbabble

    DaveW Guest

    To insure dual channel mode you SHOULD buy a MATCHED set of 2 RAM sticks RAM
    from a vendor. They sell them that way specifically because dual channel
    mode requires two ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL RAM sticks in order to work stabley.

    --
    _________
    DaveW

    DaveW, Mar 9, 2007
  6. Teknowbabble

    Dave Guest

    "DaveW" <> wrote in message
    > To insure dual channel mode you SHOULD buy a MATCHED set of 2 RAM sticks
    > RAM from a vendor. They sell them that way specifically because dual
    > channel mode requires two ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL RAM sticks in order to work
    > stabley.

    Well, that's the vicious rumor that people insist on spreading anyway
    Dave, Mar 10, 2007
  7. Teknowbabble

    McFly Guest

    Teknowbabble,

    Do you know the speed rating of your first RAM? Google CPU-Z and run
    it. If the orignal RAM and your new RAM have the same speed rating,
    double channel should work...

    -fly-

    McFly, Mar 10, 2007
  8. Teknowbabble

    John Doe Guest

    "Mike T." <noway nohow.not> wrote:

    >> I was under the impression, borne out by personal experience,
    >> that dual channel working usually requires two matched memory
    >> chips. Most of the big memory mfrs sell matched pairs, for dual
    >> channel working. I use Corsair's TwinX brand..
    >>
    >> P.

    > No, and it's dangerous to spread that rumor.

    Taking drama classes lately?

    The waste of money, probably. Dangerous, hardly.

    John Doe, Mar 10, 2007
  9. Teknowbabble

    Teknowbabble Guest

    On Mar 9, 5:27 am, "Teknowbabble" <> wrote:
    > I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
    > into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
    > Mode."
    >
    > OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.
    >
    > I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
    > the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
    > and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
    > "SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."
    >
    > ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
    >
    > Now I want to take hostages!

    > Here's my setup:
    > - Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 478)
    >
    > - P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB
    >
    > - RAM (512 MB x 2)
    >
    > 1rst stick --> Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
    > (32MB x 8)/(32 x 8) 16 SDRAM Chips
    >
    > 2nd Stick --> Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
    > (64MB x 8) 8 SDRAM Chips
    >
    > ** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard
    >
    > - Windows XP Pro with SP2
    >
    > Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.
    >
    > ***************************************************************************­*
    > Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
    > Throughput Highest to Lowest
    > ***************************************************************************­*
    > Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> All DIMMs matched
    >
    > Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs matched from Channel A to
    > Channel B
    >
    > Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched within
    > channels
    >
    > Single Channel with Dynamic Mode ---> Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
    > within a channel
    >
    > Single Channel without Dynamic Mode ---> DIMMs not matched
    >
    > Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
    > because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
    > the same basic model or at least I thought.
    >
    > Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
    > dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
    > is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
    > shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
    > selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
    > pair" outright.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Teknowbabble

    MAN! THIS FRYS MY CHICKEN!

    The worst of it all is that I should have known better. Oh well! Chalk
    one up for experience. I wish retailers would let people know that
    matched means the same # of chips on each stick and not just the same
    part number. Also I noticed a lot of retailers dont put the extensions
    (.16FG or .8TDY) after their parts.

    I didnt have enough $$$ initially to buy a matched pair. I just
    figured I would buy another one down the line.

    I called Crucial (aka Micron Technologies) and they said that I needed
    to have the same amount of chips on each memory stick. They said that
    they are going to 8 chips vs 16 chips (older versions) because its
    cheaper. They are also twice as tall by the way.

    Part # Stick 1: CT6464Z40B.16FG
    Part # Stick 2: CT6464z40B.8TDY

    Also, I was told the extensions after the part number indicate the #
    of chips on the memory stick. The letters thereafter are strickly for
    Crucials Accounting office. They were a little wishy-washy about
    saying whether the IC's had to be of Identical makes to be "matched."

    I took your advice and ran CPU-Z. Here's the relevant printout

    CPU-Z version 1.39
    Chipset

    Northbridge Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
    Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 02
    Memory Type DDR
    Memory Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 199.6 MHz (1:1)
    CAS# 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 8
    Performance Mode disabled

    MCHBAR dump
    -----------

    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
    00 04 08 08 08 10 10 10 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    10 11 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    60 45 05 A0 D2 C6 42 14 00 71 02 00 20 05 80 00 00
    70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    80 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    90 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    A0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    B0 24 08 00 00 24 08 00 00 24 08 00 00 24 08 00 00
    C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    D0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    E0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    Memory SPD

    DIMM #1

    General
    Memory type DDR
    Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2CFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    Size 512 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Part number 16VDDF6464AG-40BG1
    Serial number 37224D5A
    Manufacturing date Week 71/Year 05

    Attributes
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no
    EPP no

    Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 133 166 200
    CAS# 2.0 2.5 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 3
    RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
    TRAS 6 7 8

    DIMM #2

    General
    Memory type DDR
    Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2CFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    Size 512 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Part number 8VDDT6464AY-40BD1
    Serial number D4168B13
    Manufacturing date Week 06/Year 07

    Attributes
    Number of banks 1
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no
    EPP no

    Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 133 166 200
    CAS# 2.0 2.5 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 3
    RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
    TRAS 6 7 8

    Dump Module #1
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
    00 80 08 07 0D 0A 02 40 00 04 50 70 00 82 08 00 01
    10 0E 04 1C 01 02 20 C0 60 70 75 75 3C 28 3C 28 40
    20 60 60 40 40 00 00 00 00 00 37 46 30 28 50 00 11
    30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 91
    40 2C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 01 31 36 56 44 44 46 36
    50 34 36 34 41 47 2D 34 30 42 47 31 01 00 05 47 37
    60 22 4D 5A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    Dump Module #2
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
    00 80 08 07 0D 0B 01 40 00 04 50 70 00 82 08 00 01
    10 0E 04 1C 01 02 20 C0 60 70 75 75 3C 28 3C 28 80
    20 60 60 40 40 00 00 00 00 00 37 46 30 28 50 00 01
    30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 C1
    40 2C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 08 38 56 44 44 54 36 34
    50 36 34 41 59 2D 34 30 42 44 31 20 01 00 07 06 D4
    60 16 8B 13 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    Looks like the memory maps are different. Alas, Im Screwed!

    Teknowbabble
    Teknowbabble, Mar 10, 2007
  10. Teknowbabble

    Frank McCoy Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Teknowbabble"
    <> wrote:

    >I took your advice and ran CPU-Z. Here's the relevant printout

    >CPU-Z version 1.39

    Hmmm ... CPU-Z, huh?
    Obviously another utility I need to get.

    --
    _____
    / ' / â„¢
    Frank McCoy, Mar 11, 2007
  11. Teknowbabble

    Frank McCoy Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Frank McCoy <>
    wrote:

    >In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Teknowbabble"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I took your advice and ran CPU-Z. Here's the relevant printout

    >>CPU-Z version 1.39

    >Hmmm ... CPU-Z, huh?
    >Obviously another utility I need to get.

    Got it.
    *Nice* utility. Thanks for the steer.
    Beats CPUID all hollow.

    Showed me something I should have known:
    I got some new DDR400 memory, and was still running it at DDR333 rates.
    A shame, since the mobo supports 200mhz.
    So, I upped that; and it works fine.

    But CPU-Z showed me something else:
    My AMD Athalon(tm) XP 2400+ ... Runs at 2000mhz (plus or minus a few).
    No way will my board run at 160mhz clock (what's needed to make the
    thing run @ full 2400mhz). After trying various things, I begin to
    suspect the "2400" is just hype from AMD. Is it, or is there something
    I'm missing?

    Anyway: A question:
    Will I get more "performance" running the clock at 133mhz, the DRAM at
    200mhz, and the CPU-speed at 2000mhz (my default now), or overclocking
    it to 150mhz (where it runs without dying) to where I have the DRAM at
    183, and the CPU-speed at about 2250mhz?

    Anybody have any guesses as to which is overall "faster"?
    Or (my feeling anyway) is it about a wash?

    (Or, is there something I'm missing?)

    Oh yeah: My motherboard is a Soyo KT-600-8237 "Dragon Plus", running
    with a one-gig DDR-400 memory SIMM.

    It works great (Better now, with the faster memory).
    Still, every bit of improvment is appreciated.

    --
    _____
    / ' / â„¢
    Frank McCoy, Mar 16, 2007
  12. Inline:

    Frank McCoy wrote:
    > In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Frank McCoy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Teknowbabble"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I took your advice and ran CPU-Z. Here's the relevant printout
    >>>
    >>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> CPU-Z version 1.39

    >> Hmmm ... CPU-Z, huh?
    >> Obviously another utility I need to get.

    > Got it.
    > *Nice* utility. Thanks for the steer.
    > Beats CPUID all hollow.
    >
    > Showed me something I should have known:
    > I got some new DDR400 memory, and was still running it at DDR333
    > rates. A shame, since the mobo supports 200mhz.
    > So, I upped that; and it works fine.
    >
    > But CPU-Z showed me something else:
    > My AMD Athalon(tm) XP 2400+ ... Runs at 2000mhz (plus or minus a few).
    > No way will my board run at 160mhz clock (what's needed to make the
    > thing run @ full 2400mhz). After trying various things, I begin to
    > suspect the "2400" is just hype from AMD. Is it, or is there
    > something I'm missing?

    Yes, it's how AMD ranks their processors, not by speed but by "PowerRating",
    ie. roughly comparing to some Intel Pentium4 processor speeds..

    Your's is running at its spec'd speed:
    Basic Specs

    http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cpu/amd/xp2400/index.htm

    CPU: 2.0 GHz
    Cache: 256K
    BUS: 266MHz DDR (133MHz FSB)
    Socket: Socket-A

    > Anyway: A question:
    > Will I get more "performance" running the clock at 133mhz, the DRAM at
    > 200mhz, and the CPU-speed at 2000mhz (my default now), or overclocking
    > it to 150mhz (where it runs without dying) to where I have the DRAM at
    > 183, and the CPU-speed at about 2250mhz?
    >
    > Anybody have any guesses as to which is overall "faster"?
    > Or (my feeling anyway) is it about a wash?
    >
    > (Or, is there something I'm missing?)
    >
    > Oh yeah: My motherboard is a Soyo KT-600-8237 "Dragon Plus", running
    > with a one-gig DDR-400 memory SIMM.
    >
    > It works great (Better now, with the faster memory).
    > Still, every bit of improvment is appreciated.

    --
    Tumppi
    =================================
    Thomas Wendell, Mar 16, 2007
  13. Teknowbabble

    Frank McCoy Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Thomas Wendell"
    <> wrote:

    >> My AMD Athalon(tm) XP 2400+ ... Runs at 2000mhz (plus or minus a few).
    >> No way will my board run at 160mhz clock (what's needed to make the
    >> thing run @ full 2400mhz). After trying various things, I begin to
    >> suspect the "2400" is just hype from AMD. Is it, or is there
    >> something I'm missing?
    >>

    >Yes, it's how AMD ranks their processors, not by speed but by "PowerRating",
    >ie. roughly comparing to some Intel Pentium4 processor speeds..
    >
    >Your's is running at its spec'd speed:
    >Basic Specs
    >
    >http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cpu/amd/xp2400/index.htm
    >
    >CPU: 2.0 GHz
    >Cache: 256K
    >BUS: 266MHz DDR (133MHz FSB)
    >Socket: Socket-A

    Thanks.
    That's what I figured.
    Overclocking it doesn't seem to gain much at all, if anything; as (with
    my motherboard) I have to then slow down the memory-bandwidth even more
    to keep it under 200mhz (The DDR400 rating) since the two are somewhat
    locked together on my SOYO board; the memory-speed increasing or
    decreasing in segments of about 1/4 the basic clock-speed, or 1/8 the
    FSB. The memory-chip just *does not* like to be clocked above that rate
    by even a few percent. Works fine at that speed though.

    I guess this motherboard/CPU/memory combination just isn't a good
    candidate for overclocking.

    Oh well.
    Thanks again.

    --