    Any ideas, or should I just say goodbye to those files?

    Thanks
    Richard

    rc, Oct 7, 2006

  2. From: "rc" <>

    | My Windows 2000 Pro system recently died, and, of course, my backups were
    | not completely up to date.
    |
    | I can get to most of the files by adding the disk (NTFS) as a slave on
    | another machine, but one folder is protected with full control granted to my
    | user account and no other access. Perhaps not surprisingly access is denied
    | by the new (XP) machine.
    |
    | I cannot boot from the disk on the other machine (even when it is the only
    | disk on the machine), nor does my WIN2K install CD seem interested in
    | repairing Windows to allow some sort of start, even in safe mode.
    |
    | Any ideas, or should I just say goodbye to those files?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Richard

    You have to take Ownership of the full drive due to the change od SIDs when the OS was
    re-generated.

    This has NOTHING to do with WinXP, per se. It has to do with Security Identifiers and NTFS.
    Whe you re-created a OS the OS used a new SID which doesn't match those used on the old
    NTFS partition thus denying access. That why you need to take ownership as the
    "administrator".

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Oct 7, 2006

  3. rc

    rc Guest

    Many thanks for your help. I have now recovered all my files (I've also
    backed them up now!)

    Richard

    rc, Oct 8, 2006